Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 SODIMM (v. spot the difference)

Stereodude

Not really a
So Crucial says this 8GB DDR3 1600 SODIMM is compatible with the HP Elitebook 840 G1 I have on order. Of course it turns out that part number CT5044300 is pretty much only sold by Crucial directly. How is it different from this 8GB DDR3 1600 SODIMM that I can buy at a variety of retailers? The specs are exactly the same. Is it really likely they've done something to the SPD on the CT5044300 SODIMM that makes it "compatible"?

Yes, I realize they're the same price at Crucial, but I was hoping to watch for a deal on the widely available CT102464BF160B SODIMM.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe HP requires something 'special' to work in their notebooks???
Possibly it's such a low volume item, nobody stocks it???

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I suspect that it's more a matter of having a validated configuration for a mobile workstation. Just like you sometimes want to buy HP hard drives for HP servers.

Stereodude

Not really a
I suspect that it's more a matter of having a validated configuration for a mobile workstation. Just like you sometimes want to buy HP hard drives for HP servers.
But unless the configuration is different why would you have two different SKU's, especially at the same price? Wouldn't you just validate the standard product?

Stereodude

Not really a
So I bought a stick on ebay of the same Micron memory (exact same part number as what came in the 840 G1) and the system wouldn't even POST with the eBay stick in it. The system flashed out a code for a bad memory module. :cursin:

The RAM is now on its way back to the eBay seller and I've already received a refund.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So I bought a stick on ebay of the same Micron memory (exact same part number as what came in the 840 G1) and the system wouldn't even POST with the eBay stick in it. The system flashed out a code for a bad memory module. :cursin:

The RAM is now on its way back to the eBay seller and I've already received a refund.

So it was a cunterfeit?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Lunar wrote something else recently that made me think he was German. German spelling of something I think.