Crystal Disk Mark?

ddrueding

Fixture
Seems interesting. Looks to measure the stuff that has been determined to matter in SSDs. Whether it measures it well is another matter. Here is a run from my laptop while it was in the middle of a bunch of other stuff.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMMM.

I thought nearly all laptops shipped with SATA 1?
Why is it over 150 MB/sec?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
cRYSTALDISKMARK302Xx-25m160GBX2.jpg

Not a bad setup. Thanks David;-)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Results are rather pointless with SSD. I have no idea what they are getting at and don't care.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Results are rather pointless with SSD. I have no idea what they are getting at and don't care.

HMMM. There are some REALLY bad SSD's out there. Nice to have a bench mark to find out why they are. I have one that won't clear 30 MB/sec. Makes a passable USB 2 external drive, but that's about it. Waste of 140 dollars...

LunarMist

HMMM. There are some REALLY bad SSD's out there. Nice to have a bench mark to find out why they are. I have one that won't clear 30 MB/sec. Makes a passable USB 2 external drive, but that's about it. Waste of 140 dollars...

According to the crystal dickmark the write speeds are all over the place, sometimes half of what they are otherwise. :viking: Maybe I should throw out the X25-E.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
According to the crystal dickmark the write speeds are all over the place, sometimes half of what they are otherwise. :viking: Maybe I should throw out the X25-E.

OK:

So, we now know CDM doesn't work for your drive, in your system. Does make me wonder if the limitation is somewhere in your system.

I know the SATA ports on this Gigabyte board seem to be 4 VERY fast, 6 seem to be SATA 1, with actually only 8 of the 10 really working.

LunarMist

The crystal dickmark results are inconsistent with three other apps, the manufacturer's specs, and widely reported results.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I feel like I should say something crass about dickmarks, but I can't think of anything that is not also completely gross.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
The numbers are OK, but if it can't manage better than a 20% swing on consecutive runs, I question their methodology.

If any benchmark swings 20% or more between runs, I questions that benchmarks methodology, because it's telling you precisely jack... That isn't a benchmark, that's a lottery.