Current Dual AMD Boards support future processors?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm thinking about picking up an Epox M762A Dual Athlon board but wonder if it is a dead end as far as processors go? Any ideas if this will take a Hammer (or whatever the next generation SMP Athlon is).....?

C

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
. .
Clocker said:
I'm thinking about picking up an Epox M762A Dual Athlon board but wonder if it is a dead end as far as processors go? Any ideas if this will take a Hammer (or whatever the next generation SMP Athlon is).....?

AMD has been pretty good so far as not replacing sockets every 8 ~ 12 months like Intel. But, I thought I heard that the new sockets for the upcoming AMD Clawhammer and Sledgehammer processors will be something on the order of 750 pins and 900 pins, respectively.

. .

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Definitely won't take the Hammer, but should take the 0.13 Athlon XP/MP no worries (as long as the voltage regulators can go low enough which they should). If you can wait a few weeks, hang on till the new Athlons are released and verified to be working on the dual mobos.

GIANT

. .
Ah.... Here it is.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0227/idf04.htm

Anyway, Clawhammer will require AMD Socket 754 and Sledgehammer will require AMD Socket 940.

With 940 pins on a processor not much larger than an existing P4, those pins must be more like filaments!

idf04_4.gif

. .

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
Definitely won't take the Hammer, but should take the 0.13 Athlon XP/MP no worries (as long as the voltage regulators can go low enough which they should). If you can wait a few weeks, hang on till the new Athlons are released and verified to be working on the dual mobos.

ANy idea how hight the .13 micron CPUs will go with respect to clock speed??

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yup definitely at least 2GHz, it appears there will be one last Palamino at 1800 MHz (2200+). In fact it will prob intro at 1900MHz. And then with SOI implemented later on this year, we should be good for 2.5GHz+

I'm not upgrading my dual XP 1.47GHz until I can get at least double the performance. Might have to wait for Clawhammer for that.

GMac

I'm planning on waiting 'til the summer for the new 0.13 Thoroughbred. Like you I only tend to upgrade when I can get a significant performance boost - one of those newbies should be much quicker than my venerable T'Bird 800 :D .

GM

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep said:
Yup definitely at least 2GHz, it appears there will be one last Palamino at 1800 MHz (2200+).
I read, probably on X-bit Labs, that Thoroughbred will start at 1.933GHz for a 2400+ rating.