Cyberdefender

ddrueding

Fixture
These guys.

Picked up a client that was running it (with a full subscription) and it was killing their computers performance. Combofix removed it completely without even asking.

A quick Google brought up very little, including them suing consumer advocates for slander.

What I need to decide is whether they aren't very good (eg. McAffee, Norton, etc) or are actually evil (Antivirus2009, etc).

Thoughts?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
These guys.

Picked up a client that was running it (with a full subscription) and it was killing their computers performance. Combofix removed it completely without even asking.

A quick Google brought up very little, including them suing consumer advocates for slander.

What I need to decide is whether they aren't very good (eg. McAffee, Norton, etc) or are actually evil (Antivirus2009, etc).

Thoughts?
It could be killing the computer because of sloppy coding, but more likely is up to no good. When in doubt, isn't it safer to nuke it? The few bucks he's already spent on it ain't worth keeping it on.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That TechDirt thread you linked to is an eye-opener. There's some really solid posts in there, unlike the vast majority of the interwebs.

I think it's safe to say that any site that tries to 'trap' your browser unless you agree to pay them money is a scam, i.e. evil. That and the 3,000 fake issues found with a clean install of Windows ...

However, I don't believe legal redress is an option until your damages reach at least 6 figures. You can't negotiate with sharks, the best you can do is make sure as many people as possible know the truth of the matter.

There was a listed company here that claimed you could dramatically improve your car's fuel economy by adding a pill to the tank. Years later, I can't see any of them behind bars, or even a serious prospect of it occurring. Caveat emptor.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd suggest disputing with the credit card. That's plenty of pain for these guys.