Cycling

ddrueding

Fixture
I think the issue is that I'm not sure how much I have left as I ride, so the closer I get the less worried about reserve I become.

The ride today was nuts. I lead out the first ~15 miles of a 40 mile ride, all between 20-23mph. Didn't realize it, but when I looked behind, I had busted the peloton to pieces. Oops.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've tossed around the idea of getting a tandem in my mind, but have never gotten too serious about it since I haven't a clue how you transport one without a van or a pickup. They're too long for a hitch mounted rack or roof rack.

ddrueding

Fixture
This one splits in half and is supposed to fit into a regular bike case for shipping. The one I'm interested in (mid-range) would be about $7k.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got curious enough to do a little Googling and apparently they do make hitch mounted tandem bike holders of different types as well as tandem roof racks. There are also tandems that can be broken down into smaller pieces. However, I noticed that tandem bikes are $$$$. $5k isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think the issue is that I'm not sure how much I have left as I ride, so the closer I get the less worried about reserve I become.

The ride today was nuts. I lead out the first ~15 miles of a 40 mile ride, all between 20-23mph. Didn't realize it, but when I looked behind, I had busted the peloton to pieces. Oops.

The heart rate monitor should be helping you regulate effort.

ddrueding

Fixture
Had my first race today, Category 5 (beginners). Didn't go into it in the best shape; slightly bent crank and misbehaving bottom bracket and front derailleur. On top of that I was sunburnt, undernourished, tired, and hungover.

These guys were vicious, right out of the gate they were pushing hard. On the first climb my heart rate was hovering in the low 190s for several minutes. In the haze and tunnel vision that ensued I managed to cross-chain (big-big) and then drop the chain entirely. Got that resolved and was pushing hard to get back on the group when I went to take a sip of water. Didn't realize I was still in the 190s and when I stopped breathing to take a sip I blacked out. Came back still moving on the bike in a straight line. Called it at that point.

I need to get much better at this before next week.

ddrueding

Fixture
Had my first race today, Category 5 (beginners). Didn't go into it in the best shape; slightly bent crank and misbehaving bottom bracket and front derailleur. On top of that I was sunburnt, undernourished, tired, and hungover.

These guys were vicious, right out of the gate they were pushing hard. On the first climb my heart rate was hovering in the low 190s for several minutes. In the haze and tunnel vision that ensued I managed to cross-chain (big-big) and then drop the chain entirely. Got that resolved and was pushing hard to get back on the group when I went to take a sip of water. Didn't realize I was still in the 190s and when I stopped breathing to take a sip I blacked out. Came back still moving on the bike in a straight line. Called it at that point.

I need to get much better at this before next week.

Here is the data from the ride...complete self-destruction and over in less time than it took me to register for the race. Grr.

ddrueding

Fixture
Dirt is getting behind the Zertz inserts on my bike. I'm nearly certain that I can remove, clean, and re-insert them, but I am hesitating.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You hit 187 bpm cycling with your wife? Was she riding pillion or sitting on the handlebars?

ddrueding

Fixture
You hit 187 bpm cycling with your wife? Was she riding pillion or sitting on the handlebars?

Nah, she drove out to the ocean and did the middle ~8 miles with me (Lover's Point to Pebble Beach) then drove back. I averaged ~9mph for that stretch and ~19mph for the rest of it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mine was pretty bad to start with. Step one was add a lot of light (nearly 500w of 6500k 98CRI florescent for a 2 car garage). Once you see what you have you cans start fixing it. That wall already had sheet rock on it (it is the firewall to the house) so mudding and painting was a 4 day job (two coats of primer, one of paint). The rest of the garage still needs rock, and the ceiling needs additional joists before it can support the ceiling at all. The floor also has some cracks that need to be filled before the epoxy can go down.

Stereodude

Not really a
I did 18 miles this morning in just under 70 minutes including cool down. Not too shabby for a guy on a dual suspension mountain bike with slicks if I say so myself.

Stereodude

Not really a
I usually only ride once a week with the wife. We'll go on either Saturday or Sunday depending on our plans and the weather. She's out of town this weekend so I did two loops at the park instead of the one plus circling waiting for her to catch up. That usually is more like 12miles in 50-55 minutes

ddrueding

Fixture
My wife and I tried something different today. Normally I do a massive ride and meet her after, so her ride is my cool down. This time we started at the same place at the same time and I took off on my own pace. My route was 40 miles and hers was 16. On my return I caught up with her about 7 miles from the car and did my cool down with her then. Worked pretty well.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I did 18 miles this morning in just under 70 minutes including cool down. Not too shabby for a guy on a dual suspension mountain bike with slicks if I say so myself.
That's pretty decent for someone who only rides weekly, and not for speed like me and Dave. Just for kicks I made a mental note to see where the 18 mile mark came up on last night's ride around midnight (much too hot here to ride during the day). I was there at 65:34. And at the 70 minute mark I only would have been 1.2 miles ahead of you. Of course, working against me was the heat, humidity, the fact that I didn't ride the day before (I'm always slower when I miss days), my rear airless tire (probably slows me down by 0.5 mph), and NYC streets. Even at midnight things get in your way. I hit 2 red lights I couldn't go through right away on account of cross traffic. Even with no cross traffic, I still need to slow enough at reds to see if the coast is clear. Same thing at stop signs. And some jackass ran a stop sign in an SUV when I was going 23 mph, forcing me to hit the brakes hard. All that probably takes 2-3 mph off my average speed. Anyway, even under ideal conditions I doubt I could do 18 miles in less than maybe 50 minutes. Most times it takes me 63 to 66 minutes, so by comparison you're not doing bad at all.

ddrueding

Fixture
Got in a good night ride tonight, but I may have been pushing myself a bit hard:

Z1 - Endurance0-1140:341%
Z2 - Moderate114-15110:5612%
Z3 - Tempo
151-16910:4112%
Z4 - Threshold
169-18818:1420%
Z5 - Anaerobic
188+52:2656%

fb

Storage is cool
It's not something I would enjoy riding up Alpe d'Huez, but it's pretty good when shopping for a litre of milk and similar tasks.

My commuter bike is a white Nishiki Pro SL and a Chariot CX1 to transport the son to the daycare. The bike is decent ~11kg (but in desperate need of a service) and the Chariot is great.

fb

Storage is cool
I regret not getting one at once when he was born, it can replace a "normal" baby carriage in many situations.

But I'm not sure it's wise to connect it to a bike driven at maximum speed before he/she develop some neck muscles. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I know that eating bugs is supposed to help their immune system, I figure I can assist that. Nothing like one going up the nose at 30mph. ;)

fb

Storage is cool
There's both a net and the cover for wind/rain. It's a really good idea to at least close the net when it's connected to the bike. Unless of course you really want sand/glassblast the kids face.