Cyclone

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks like some parts of Australia really gat hammered!
Was anybody from SF affedted?
Everybody Okay?

Bozo :mrgrn:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Fortunately nobody died, a few were injured, but IIRC not seriously. Many houses were destroyed. I thought they built their homes out of brick and cement there, not wood like we do in the Western U.S.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I gather that it was a cat 5 cyclone - i.e., about as strong as they get. The famous Cyclone Tracy that razed Darwin in 1975 was "only" a cat 4. (Wasn't the recent Florida/Texas hurricane a cat 5?)

Amazing that no-one was killed. The destruction of property is supposed to be pretty bad, including 90% of this year's banana crop. (Don't tell Tea - she'll go ape!)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Just saw it on the news. At 290Km/h, its winds blew stronger than any of the hurricanes that formed in the Atlantic/Mexico golf last summer. It was quite a sea farth.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
Just saw it on the news. At 290Km/h, its winds blew stronger than any of the hurricanes that formed in the Atlantic/Mexico golf last summer. It was quite a sea farth.

Apparently they measure wind speed differently down under than they do on this side of the world.

They are on different scales, over here they use sustained winds and in Australia it is based on maximum wind gust. Kinds of hard to compare because in North America they always quote sustained wind speed.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think it was Ineki that hit Kaui, when I was on Oahu. Winds hit 225 on the peaks of Kaui, before the wind gauges where blown off, and their supports blown down.

I slept through the whole thing, in a pillbox I lived in on the beach at Diamond head...

s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The weather channel (IIRC??) pointed out that Pacific ocean huricanes/cyclones are usually stronger than the Atlantic variety. The Pacific storms are over water longer and therefore draw more heat (energy) from the ocean.

Glad everybody is okay. :D

paugie

Storage is cool
At 290Km/h, its winds blew stronger than any of the hurricanes that formed in the Atlantic/Mexico golf last summer.

That is stronger than any typhoon which has hit the Philippines. I've experienced "only" 220kph winds "near the center" which is how we measure our typhoons here. We had a storm called "Yoling" (yes, most of our typhoons are named after women, the same as yours in North America) which hit in 1971. The eye of the typhoon actually passed over Metro Manila. There was no power in places for as long as 2 weeks.

I saw my share of blown roofs then. Some of them cartwheeling whole over rice fields before they collapsed.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea, the next time a huricane is aimed for New Orleans, I'll see if I can have it re-directed to Oz :D

We don't want you to feel left out :wink:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
http://www.video-hawaii.com/iniki.html

iniki.gif

inikianim.gif

September 11, 1992, 5:29 a.m.- An island's inhabitants sleep peacefully, their dreams unaffected by the F-3 hurricane predicted to pass harmlessly many miles south of the islands. All is quiet, gentle trade winds blow silently over the island.

Siren5:30 a.m. - Civil Defense sirens around the island spring to life, their shrill cry abruptly ending sleep and replacing pleasant dreams with worries of safety and protection. Residents rush to their television and radios, horrified to find that Hurricane Iniki had quickly gained in strength to an F-5 rating, and abruptly turned directly towards them!

http://www.video-hawaii.com/iniki.html

I wonder what would have happened if Iniki would have gone right over
Honolulu?

S

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
From a NOAA report in Iniki, in PDF:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/iniki/iniki1.pdf

" a 217 MPH gust was reported by personnel at the USN radar site, at Makaha Ridge...."

But, the machinery was not calibrated, so it was not considered valid by NOAA.

Iniki apparently went from class three, to class 5 very quickly, and, the actual
sustained winds are in question, so NOAA has observations, but not a firm placing of 4,5, or higher.

S

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
After rereading that post, I can't help but think of Jaws, on a much larger scale...
:wink:

S

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Huh? I don't get it. How come you guys get proper hurricanes but we only get tiddly little cyclones? It's not fair!

Would you rather a typhoon? That sounds dangerous!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .....

Typhoon: location of natural phenomenon: SE Asia. Location of famous old aircraft: UK.

Hurricane: location of natural phenomenon: North America & etc. Location of famous old aircraft: UK.

Tornado: location of natural phenomenon: North America. Location of not very famous old and slightly more famous new aircraft: UK.

Cyclone: location of natural phenomenon: Australasia. Location of famous old aircraft engine: USA.

Do I see a pattern emerging here?

Which country will be first to manufacture an aircraft called "Blizzard"? South Africa seems a good bet.