Damn drawing software tools!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm trying to create a new logo for my company. I used Paintbrush and then Corel PhotoPaint 8. Both don't worth shit so far. Actually, I've been able to do more with Paintbrush. When I try to fill a color within a polygon under PhotoPaint, it fills the whole screen. I'm about to eat my mouse. The worst is that I'm a damn good painter and there're few things I cannot do with a pencil, a sheet and an eraser. But doing even the most basic forms on my computer is a pain like you can't imagine.

Who's the idiot who though about mice as pointing devices? Would have it been so hard to just make an optical pen instead? IIRC, the first optical mice had to be used on a quadrilated plate. It shouldn't have been so hard to fit the beam in a pen-like shape device. Now we are stuck with 600dpi optical mice that cost less than 20$ and pens that cost more than 100$ just because they aren't the maintream pointing device.

Arrgghhh! (I'll have to pay a graphist to make my f*****g logo and I'm sure that he won't have half of my drawing skills else than on a computer).

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Aren't there on line sites which allow you to design your own right there on line?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Oh and if you do decide to go with a garphic artist, my sister is a fairly talented one. Here's her site - http://www.smallpotatoesdesign.com/ - She used to publish her rates on there but I don't if she still does or not. And no, I don't get a commision on any business I refer to her.

Sol

Storage is cool
I know what you mean about photoshop- everything is so permanent, it's very... photc-centric I guess.

I would suggest you try MS image-composer. It's the best thing I have come across for this sort of thing... even if it is a work of the devil. I think it comes with Front Page... I know which I'd have a use for.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek, have you tried Corel Draw instead of PhotoPaint?
In PhotoPaint you're working with pixels and layers, and you have to create masks and then feather them, etc. in order to fill just a portion of the image. With Draw you work with vectors and nodes, and each object you create is an independent entity and can have a different fill.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nope, I haven't tried Corel Draw, but maybe I should since I also have it. However, since a bunch of people already offered their help, I will wait a bit before I make another try.

Thank you all for your kind help.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
JKKJ,

CorelDraw works great so far! I can do what I want with it, although it's still a pain compared to a pencil an a sheet of paper. I haven't finished yet, but I think I'll be able to do something I'll be proud of.

Thanks for the tip.

JKKJ

Excellent!

If you find yourself doing a lot of graphics stuff, maybe try a tablet for input. I've only used a cheapie Wacom tablet, but it's way better than a mouse for drawing. Now if only I could draw well! :eek:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Believe it or not...a friend of mine created some pretty decent looking logos using just PowerPoint! SUre, they aren't nearly as fancy as you can get with more specialized programs but it works in a pinch.

Now THAT is easy to use.

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I always associated PowerPoint with old secretaries. No way I'm gonna use this for the logo of my prestigious company ;-) Seriously, it's probably true that I could create something more or less ok with PP, but so far I really like what I can do with Corel Draw.

I haven't finished yet, but I'll restart to work on this later today.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
What the hell is so hard about drawing an old biker with a six pack of Labatts under his arm sitting on his Harley?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm a sophisticated biker Bill, I drink coffee far more often than beer.

Besides, I don't believe that a self-depicting picture would inspire trust to my customers if that would be my logo.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've found there is precious little that can't be done in Word (or WordPerfect), Excel and Powerpoint (let alone Access!), given a slight attention to detail.

I work with a bunch of MOUS Masters (ie MS Office gurus). Unreal what they can make those things do.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Fuck off Tabarnack. I give up.

Even with Buck's precious help, I still haven't been able to create something I would be proud of. I fought with the "/%$/?@ !!! drawing programs for the last 24 hours to no avail. I came up with something that I would have been able to create when I was 6 years old. Oh well, be it, that'll be the logo I'll propose to my assosciates. If they aren't happy, they'll only have to make one themselves.

Maybe the drawing tools of Open Office (my replacement for MS Office) would let me do something better, but I'm about to vomit on my keyboard and monitor if I spend any additional time on that £@¤¬¢@@± !!! logo, so to Hell with it.

Thank you all for your input anyway. It's probably just the artist within myself that has decided not to show up this week-end.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
LOL.. Come on Coug post it! We have to see it after such an intriguing description!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The problem Coug is that you don't have the experience to create an image with 3D looks with a computer. Since you are a handy artist, I would recommend drawing it and scanning it in - at least everything but the text. Then use your drawing program to create the text and you're done.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'll wait a bit before showing you my piece of art Bill. For an unknown reason, the file doesn't want to download correctly when I send it via FTP to my web space (errors at about the third of the whole file).

The very nice work that a charitable soul did for me shows up well though. But I'll only post it if I get permission from the kind artist who made it.

JKKJ

CougTek said:
Fuck off Tabarnack. I give up....I fought with the "/%$/?@ !!! drawing programs for the last 24 hours to no avail....if I spend any additional time on that £@¤¬¢@@± !!! logo, so to Hell with it....

CougTek, I have this wonderful image of the Terminator from your avatar crossed with the Tazmanian Devil from Looney Tunes just after he spins in drooling, chest heaving, mouse cord dangling from his mouth. (Hope you know these characters :p )

Sorry it didn't work out for you; drawing with the computer is definitely differently-intuitive from pen-and-paper.