David drags my server into the 21st century....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Power Supply blew. Seasonic 650, replaced with another one.
Time to reconfigure. Drive down to David's. I now have a 'brick' of Vertex Turbos, 3 of em, that do max about 280mb/sec on the 9550SUX.

SCSI data was backed up, and, the Gem 318 removed, along with 5 scsi drives.

Stopped at Granite Digital on the way down, picked up another removeable drive setup, and, David installed another drive bay, so I now have two removeable drive bays, and one less DVD
burner.

Convinced to go with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, and, after a fresh install, with the 4670, it was VERY quick.

Keep in mind it was playing on a monitor right next to David's "ExtremeBeast", and, as he said,
"Never discount the effect of SSD's, and a fresh OS install."

The only one not happy about this is going to be my cat, who will miss the heat from the Gem-18 SCSI backplane.

While we transfered files, the drives hit 154 degrees, IIRC, and, kicked off the alarm. We had to shut down, put fans on it, and finish the data transfer.

On the other hand, the video cards, and the processors still create enough heat to keep her happy, and, if I get a Slot fan, she'll be happy...;-)

Also mounted a Vantec Stealth on the side. Should keep my legs warm...

Also removed the scsi cables from the motherboard, thanks to David's handiwork.

David's job, and work situation is REALLY incredible...

I'd say more, but I'm not sure if he's cool with that.

I'll make a point of getting down there more often...

Thanks SO much,

Sincerely

GS
PS

The case is now nearly silent, and can run all night doing 'work'....

ddrueding

Fixture
The stock fan on that enclosure is crazy loud, and had long ago been replaced with a Vantec Stealth. Apparently that was enough when the enclosure was in the case, but during the data transfer the enclosure was on the workbench on its own. IIRC, that had a bunch of 10k and some 15k drives in it...very heavy and very loud.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah, got you. I have the same enclosure, and full of Atlas 15K IIs and X15-36LPs, it is indeed an extremely dense (and at the time, expensive) bit of gear. How technology has moved on in this space. As a fan, the large size meant it wasn't obtrusively loud like the Supermicro server case fans are. There are some interesting cases they are coming out with that will take drives in the front and back.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Also, the fan was sitting off to the side, not blowing directly on the drives.

I haven't hit those drives with a long, full disk backup in a long time. Really didn't think heat was going to be an issue, but, it was. The alarm went off, but, once it cooled off, the drive
finished transfering data.

It did leave a big hole in the case;-) Not big enough for the cat, but close...

It's working out WAY better then I expected. The Beast has the Klipsch 4.1's with the replaced subwoofers hooked up for sound, and, plays everything: streaming video off the net from CBS etc.

The HDMI connection to the TV from the Server gives me sound out of the TV's cheesy speakers, but, they aren't THAT bad, and they work for basic show viewing, sports, etc. If they don't, I just transfer a swapable drive to the beast, and play it from there.

I can have both computers running, the Beast using dual monitors, and, switch with the remote from the TV from one computer view to the other.

The Server is VERY quiet, much more so then before, and, it can run 24/7 and you don't notice it, other then the lights on the drive bays, which I think I'll cover with tape.

The 3 vertex drives are silent, and, I can download over night with the only sound pretty much being nothing.

Looking at finding a couple more squirrel cage blowers to vent the Xeons a bit better.

Any Suggestions?