DDR-333 Just A Flash In The Pan: DDR-400 IS COMING !

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
. .
Micron Technology, Inc., Announces DDR400 Device Performance In Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation Evaluation

Micron Technology, Inc., today announced it delivered its first industry samples of 400Mbps DDR SDRAM memory devices to Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation (SiS) and the devices qualified on the SiS648 chipset. DDR400 devices deliver the faster speeds needed to keep pace with advanced microprocessors and graphics subsystems expected to be available late this year. DDR400 devices boost DDR333 speeds by 20 percent and provide system level bandwidth of 3.2GB per second (PC3200)...

...Micron is also conducting extensive system simulations on DDR400 devices to determine what modifications may need to be implemented at both the system and module level to ensure a smooth transition from DDR333 to DDR400.

More info at:

http://www.micron.com/content.jsp?path=/News/Product+News/Year+2002&edID=19894

. .

Handruin

Administrator
Corvair said:
. .
Micron Technology, Inc., Announces DDR400 Device Performance In Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation Evaluation

Micron Technology, Inc., today announced it delivered its first industry samples of 400Mbps DDR SDRAM memory devices to Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation (SiS) and the devices qualified on the SiS648 chipset. DDR400 devices deliver the faster speeds needed to keep pace with advanced microprocessors and graphics subsystems expected to be available late this year. DDR400 devices boost DDR333 speeds by 20 percent and provide system level bandwidth of 3.2GB per second (PC3200)...

...Micron is also conducting extensive system simulations on DDR400 devices to determine what modifications may need to be implemented at both the system and module level to ensure a smooth transition from DDR333 to DDR400.

More info at:

http://www.micron.com/content.jsp?path=/News/Product+News/Year+2002&edID=19894

. .

Corvair, that's great news! This is a great example of something you can submit to the main SF page (as long as you have registered). If you haven't done so, can you take a few minutes and signup on the front page (separate signup from the forum) and submit this news. Use the same screen name because your name will display as being the person who submitted it.

It you don't feel like doing this, no big deal, I'm just trying to promote the front page and have people become active in the site, that's all.

Anyway, it's great to hear memory speed is improving; I may have to wait on the new system I was spec'in out.

-Doug

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, the industry seems to want to hurry the introduction of DDR400 and completly bypass DDR333. I'm all for it. I'm tired of the small step incrementations that have caracterized the computer market in the last few years. I don't know how much the Athlon is going to benefit from it (with the upcoming nForce 620-D and 615-D chipsets), but if the Athlon doesn't, the next processor generation sure will.

The benefits of the increased bandwidth for the Pentium 4 platform shouldn't even be questioned. The P4 is very dependant of its memory bandwidth, so the more the better for it.

Corvair

. .
[quote="Handruin" sez:] Corvair, that's great news! This is a great example of something you can submit to the main SF page (as long as you have registered)...[/quote]

I did not know about the existence of a Storage Forum Front Page. Had I known... Anyway, the story is there now.

One proposal about the
logo.jpg
graphic at the top of the forum pages: It currently is a clickable image that points to the Forums index page. Would it be better if it instead pointed to the "new" front page? ( ...like Storage Review's does -- I guess it still does, I haven't visited SR for a couple of months.)

. .

Handruin

Administrator
That is why I added a |Home| button. :wink:

I don't know what others generally do, but when I want to return to the main forum page, I click the logo.

This is just my opinion, but since the majority of people hang out in the forum, I left the logo linked to the forum.

If this is something everyone would like to change, let me know. Corvair, if you really want to do this I suggest you start a poll in the feedback so we all can vote. I'll make the change if the majority wants it. (None of this me, myself, and I stuff though... :roll: )

Corvair

. .
Handruin said:
Corvair, if you really want to do this I suggest you start a poll in the feedback so we all can vote...

Hmmm... start a poll. Sounds like scary stuff to me since I've never attempted such. I'll try it, but I hope I don't cause a kernel panic by hitting the wrong buttons or something. :-?

. .

Corvair

. .
Well, I thinks I botched it over there in the Feedback Forum. The poll taker dialog box thingee didn't appear after I made the post. Oh well. :( Better go drink a pint of strong dark ale now to drown my sorrows.

. .