Dell notebook designer is mad : WUXGA display

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
As seen on /. The news Inspiron 8500 will have, as an option, a freaking 1920x1200 15.4" screen Can you imagine how microscopic text will be on this thing? The pixel pitch will be 0.172 mm, smaller than the one from their UXGA 14" display.

Mad, I tell you. Utterly mad. Len's Crafters must have paid them.

Handruin

Administrator
That is insanity. I would like to see how that looks just for kicks.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd love one to replace my Inspiron 8200 UltraSharp UXGA 15" lappy.

The cost is rather high. But it will display full HDTV rez, not bad at all. And USB 2 finally. 2GB of ram support. Weighs slightly less than the i8200. Only thing missing is a DVI video connector instead of the normal VGA. And a proper second modular bay for a full size spare battery. I wonder whether the 72WHr battery will fit the i8200?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Clearly Pradeep has spent too much time on the wrong side of the world. High resolutions are only a good thing if you've got serious amounts of screen area. No laptop has serious amounts of screen area.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
High rez is always good, unless you are trying to look at SF or SR and the frigging code won't scale with the font size option in IE. Then you are begging for eye surgery. For image editing and DVD viewing it would be magnificent. And most importantly, it offers higher rez than the newest Mac laptop :)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
High rez is always good, unless you are trying to look at SF or SR and the frigging code won't scale with the font size option in IE. Then you are begging for eye surgery. For image editing and DVD viewing it would be magnificent. And most importantly, it offers higher rez than the newest Mac laptop :)

I would say 1% of the sites I visit allow font size adjustment by IE.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I typically set text size to 150% in Mozilla on both my 19" monitor (desktop) and my Dell i8200 15" Ultrasharp.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
I would say 1% of the sites I visit allow font size adjustment by IE.

Probably the wrong place to put this but anyway:
I have noticed that some web pages that ignore the font size adjustment by IE on display will honor the adjustment when printing the web page. Quirky but maybe handy.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
is there a good way to adjust font sizes in Linux web browsing? ...it seems like every route I take has some flaw... and only works on some pages or parts of pages...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Just an FYI:

Most websites now use CSS and set the font styles and sizes as fixed to ensure a consistent presentation to be as the designers originally intended.

IE will also let you adjust the size on these supposedly disobedient sites. To do this, go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Accessibility > Ignore font sizes specified on web pages. Voila. Line spacing will be messed up, but the text will grow to monstrous sizes.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
And BTW, I agree with you Coug, WUXGA on a laptop is pure madness. Maybe the Rock Machine and Hells Angels have moved on to other things... like getting Michael Dell high on their drugs...

GIJoe

What is this storage?
Mozilla seems to have no problem changing the font size on the pages I visit. I only surf a handful of pages regularly, however, so YMMV :).

blakerwry said:
is there a good way to adjust font sizes in Linux web browsing? ...it seems like every route I take has some flaw... and only works on some pages or parts of pages...

Yes. At least, there is with Mozilla.

Using Mozilla 1.3, try edit -> preferences -> appearance -> fonts

Then reduce the DPI. If the two settings available don't suit, try fiddling around with the 'Other..' settings. If you say that the line on the screen is much larger than it actually is, it'll reduce the DPI.

Fiddling with this setting is a necessity on my Thinkpad A31p (15" 1600x1200 screen).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, i tried simply setting the "increase font to 120%" option in moz, then tried messing w/ the DPI... then tried changing the standard font sizes for variable and fixed width fonts as well as the "min font sise" setting...

I think that's basically it... AFAIK... I am using a combination of things right now... but nothing seems to be flawless... IE or Moz on windows looks great, so i stick to it much more often.