Dell PowerConnect any good?

Handruin

Administrator
Anyone work with the Dell PowerConnect 27xx series GiGE switches? Their 16 port (2716) has caught my interest. It's $169 after a rebate, supports jumbo frames, and is also web manageable. Other than that, I know of no one who owns a Dell switch (which makes me wonder if there is a reason for that).

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Even their 8-port managed Gigabyte switch at $89 (no jumbo frames) sure sounds like a good deal. No, I know nothing about Dell switches other than their spec. sheet.

ddrueding

Fixture
I run Dell Poweconnects at the game center. All GbE clients, lots of traffic, performs very well. I've never had to even reboot the things.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a 2016 unmanaged Dell switch (16 port 100BaseT), works fine, no fans.

I think I'll have to get me a 2716 tho. Could use the VLAN capability to segment the 100Mb interfaced cable modem from the rest of the machines which could then run Jumbo frames.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm looking for an 8 port Gb Ethernet switch for home. Doesn't need to be managed. I'm considering the Dell PowerConnect 2708, Netgear ProSafe GS108, this US Robotics one, and potentially others. I'm not really interested in Linksys, DLink, Belkin, Hawking, or any of the generics but would consider SMC, maybe 3Com, and other regocnized networking companies. I'm after a 'prosumer' switch, hence the Netgear GS108 vs. the GS608. Of the three I've mentioned, we're using the USR one at work for some stuff and it has held up quite well since I installed it last December. My other home networking gear is currently Netgear.

Cooling fans, noise, and heat don't matter as this will be installed in my basement. Price is probably going to max out at $130 since my above selections list at that price point but can be commonly had for closer to $100.

Any thoughts or preferences? Reasons to buy or avoid certain ones?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm looking for something similar to your needs. However, I'd like a switch that supports jumbo frames. I don't think the ones you've listed support jumbo frames, if that's at all a concern.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have the Netgear GS608 and noticed speeds are slightly slower using it vs a direct PC to PC connection. No hard numbers for you though.

One oddity I had was using a length of CAT 6 cable caused traffic going one direction (only affected 1 direction) to go very slowly. Replacing the cable resolved the problem. What I thought odd was that ifconfig reported no errors at the layer 2 level, wonder if the switch was just being weird.

One thign I like about the couple Netgear switches I've owned is that they have auto crossover in their switches which means I don't have to bother looking for the right type of cable, I can use crossovers or straight through with no problems.

I was hesitent to buy one of the "prosumer"/"server class" gig-e switches because most of them seemed to be using inferior hardware to some of the cheaper consumer goods. By inferior, I mean older/slower/less RAM (for example, the GS608 has 4x more RAM than the GS108). Fans, are another no no, and many of the server class stuff uses fans.

While they may have high availability and configuration, those features mean little to me when most switches are going to be very reliable anyway.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We've had a Dell 2724 at work for a few weeks now, no issues. Run in unmanaged mode. Does have one fan but in the server room it's not audible.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Thanks, Blakerwry. It is interesting that the 608 has slightly better specs than the 108. The 108, though, has a 5 year warranty (2 years on the AC adapter) vs. the 608's 1 year.

Hmm. Dell's tech specs include the chassis color but not the packet latency or RAM/buffer amount. The Dell also just has a 1 year warranty so I think I may drop it from the list and replace it with the Netgear 608.

The USR, BTW, has a 2 year warranty and 256K buffer. It's data sheet doesn't mention latency.

Overall, it's not that I really need GbE speeds for what I'll be doing. In fact, I don't even have any GbE equipment that will be connected to it right away. But I'd rather spend a few more $ on GbE infrastructure now vs. buying a 100Mb switch and replacing it in 6 months when the need does come along.

My electrician will be installing a CAT5e run from the cable modem in my den to the basement (under the stairs) where the switch will be located. I'm doing that as part of some other electrical work so the cost is just parts. The initial organization will be my PC & notebook in the den on my Netgear 634 @ 100Mb and my wife's PC on the 634 via wireless @ 108Mb. The 634 will connect to the switch in the basement. Connected to the switch will be my 'media server' (the box I recently mentioned in the F @ H thread) and my home-based Folding farm. The basement will thus handle the heat from the machines and will provide a better WAF since it'll all be out of sight.

BTW, my home environment has finally passed the 1TB mark. :)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
I'm looking for something similar to your needs. However, I'd like a switch that supports jumbo frames. I don't think the ones you've listed support jumbo frames, if that's at all a concern.
The 8-port SMC8508 supports jumbo frames and is about $99 from Newegg.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Fushigi said:
The 8-port SMC8508 supports jumbo frames and is about $99 from Newegg.
I ordered the SMC unit today. Microcenter has it listed as cheaper after rebate, but Newegg had it in stock. I'm picking up an IO Gear KVM to go along with it. Also picked up a few CAT6 patch cables locally at the TigerDirect outlet store. Newegg's price for the cables is fine, but nearly $5 shipping per is nutso.

I'm installing a shelf/tabletop under the stairs in my basement. I'm having a separate 20 amp circuit installed on Saturday along with Ethernet & Coax so I can put the cable modem there & maintain a run to my den. Time to move the extra machines to where we won't notice the noise.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm planning on running some cat5/cat6 cable in my own house to do the exact same thing as you...move the 24/7 machine out of my room and into my utility room.

Are you adding Ethernet to existing walls, and if so, how are they planning to do that? I'm figuring I'll have to try and drop my cat5 lines down from my attic into each of my rooms. I'd like to add wall plates to make it look nice. I've never run cable into walls before, so I have no idea what to expect. I'm guessing it will be a PITA.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That's what I did, dropped from the attic to the upstiars bedrooms and ran an outside run from basement to the attic. It actually goes well with 2 people and some way to communicate (FRS radio, cell phone, or cordless phones on the same line will work in a pinch)

You only need some leviton keystone jacks and a plate along with a drill (to drill in the top plate of the wall so you can insert the wire) and drywall saw. Interior walls a pie, try to stay away from exterior walls as the insulation makes things a PITA.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My (cable) broadband enters the house at my den, which is on the first floor. The runs being made tomorrow are to the basement, which is unfinished, so it's a fairly easy job. It'll involve punching a hole in the wall where the faceplate will be and using a curved drill bit to drop from there through the floor into the basement. Feed the cables through and the hard part is done.

As Ethernet & coax are low-power lines, they don't have to be in conduit so once the lines are in the basement it's a simple matter of tacing them to the ceiling using U-shaped nails or something like that in a neat manner and bringing it to where the devices will go. The overall run is under 50'. Instead of another wall-mounted plate (female connector) at the end, we're terminating with a male connector that'll go directly into the switch. The reason is that if I later decide to move everything, I can easily swing the cable to a different part of the basement. And it's 1 less patch cable.

Since it's being done in conjunction with the outlet and a couple of other things, he's only charging for materials.

Now, if I were to make one or more runs to the second floor, I'd probably still start by running to the basement and from there pulling a line up in the passageway where the main electrical lines run, or a vent shaft, or maybe even where the water lines are (last choice in case there's any condensation). The run would go all the way up to the attic.

Next, on the second floor, punch the hole in the drywall where the faceplate will wind up. Transfer the measurement to where the hole is to the relative spot in the attic. Drill down through the top of the wall stud and look for the light that denotes you're in the right cavity where the face plate will be. This is the tricky part as if you're measurements are wrong you could easily wind up drilling through your ceiling. :lol:

Anyway, now it's a simple fishing job. Very easy if you've a helper. Just tie a weight to a string and drop it towards the faceplate hole. Have your helper grab the string. Now attach the cable to the string and have the helper pull it to the faceplate while you fedd the line.

If you've got multiple runs to the second floor, either do lots of feeds or a single feed and install a switch to serve the second floor. If the attic does't heat up too much or get too excessively cold you could even mount the upstairs switch in the attic. But failing that, for one of the rooms you run the cable to, run the one feed from the basement. Put the switch there. Now also pull the extra cables back up through that same hole (feed from the top or drop the string again and tie the cables on at the bottom and route those cables to the other rooms.

Handruin

Administrator
My house isn't as convenient as yours for cabling. :) I have no basement, my house is a raised ranch/slab configuration. I have to go through my attic.

In addition to that, the utility room I want to work with happens to be on an exterior side wall. Worse, is that it is on the first floor, underneath my kitchen, living room, and dinning room, which contain no interior walls to snake through. That half of the house is completely open with no support beams, so I'll be stuck trying to find a path down an exterior wall, which may not be possible.

Even before all of that, I need to get some flooring in my attic. I can't mount the switch up there because it does get rather cold in the winter. We already had a waste vent pipe freeze this past winter and it snapped the PVC pipe. The short story to that is the condensation collected in the elbow of the pipe because the leveling hangers weren't being used. When the guys who installed the insulation came, they took down the hangers and never put them back up. So, I know it at least gets freezing cold up there. :) Fortunately it was under warranty.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handy - Have you considered moving?

So, since come tomorrow I'll have the GigE switch with Jumbo frame support, what NIC with Jumbo support would folks recommend? I'll have to go with a card as the server (as well as my workstation) currently uses the on-board 100Mb adapter.

Handruin

Administrator
Move??!? I just got here. :)

Some may say otherwise, but I'd been planning on buying at least one Intel Pro 1000MT. I couldn't find anything concrete, but the Intel card supposedly supports 4088, 9014 and 16128 Bytes for jumbo frames. So you'll probably have to try the different options if you went with this intel nic. The Pro 1000 MT seems to have gone end of life, so it's been hard finding information on it.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Intel's site doesn't specifically mention "jumbo frame support". It doesn't mention packet size at all. Searching support for server adapters and "jumbo frame" got 1 hit for a 10Gb card. The same search for Desktop adapters got 0 hits.

As much as Intel cards have a good rep for reliability & performance, it doesn't look like the 1000MT does jumbo frames.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
That may be, but SMC was the first I found to actually mention it in the product literature on their site so they got my business. I ordered 2 of the cards this morning from buy.com; net price after coupon is about $21 each shipped.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have several of different varieties of intel cards and they definitely support jumbo frames. I like them but they are expensive compared to the competition.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I like Intel NICs as well, but their lack of info on the site coupled with my search results led me to believe they didn't offer a feature I was looking for. I was just trying to confirm what you folks were saying but their site was lacking in details and explanations of their product's features.

Intel's site cost them a sale. Not that they'll miss my $ in the grand scheme of things, but one would think they'd want to present as compelling a tale as possible as to why one should buy their gear.

The switch & KVM arrived this morning. I've built the shelves for everything but haven't had the time to install them. No time tonight but maybe later this week.

And for anyone considering the Dell 2708, it can currently be had for $89 after coupon: http://www.bensbargains.net/ktalk/1121102961,89436,.shtml