Dell's Eco bamboo PC, lol!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://earth2tech.com/2008/04/22/pictures-of-dells-eco-bamboo-computer/

Well, why not? probably durable enough to last the average life span of 0.8 yrs of the average consumer PC :p.

On a side note, I was researching a trip to HK- which will not likely happen soon :(, and I found it fascinating that in HK area alone there are some 70 or so different varieties of bamboo...who would have thunk, so many! Compared to old growth forests of redwoods, bamboo is relatively a 'renewable' resource, so I guess this is good. Use of other plastics, recycled is better as long as the recycling process results in a net gain reduction in total energy expenditure, other polluting factors.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
and is filled with recycled materials like old bottles, milk jugs and detergent cases.
I can just see Tannin's reaction now: "Dell ships box of trash. Film at 11."

Bamboo is a grass and grows quite fast. It is pretty strong, though, so we use it like wood, including as flooring material. Historically it has also been put to other good uses.

My concern is having the bamboo and potentially other recycled components deteriorate (dry out or otherwise rot) and become something of a fire or shock hazard.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Put a P4 in that thing and you have a heat source to make a bamboo steamer(shown in right of picture). Now your PC can both be eco-friendly and heat up lunch/dinner at the same time.

BTW, my next door neighbor has been growing bamboo on his front lawn. It's actually a pretty plant. Surprisingly, whatever variety he's growing does quite well in the NYC winters.