problem Desktop pc freezes resume after 14 months of utter bliss

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ages and ages ago, I had issues with Asus Pentium 4 motherboards having a hard-coded thermal shutdown limit that was set too low. Those systems didn't freeze. They'd go hard-off and then display a boot time message indicating that the CPU had experienced a thermal event.

You might want to look and see if there are system event messages in your BIOS that are being suppressed since you're not getting those sorts of boot-time errors and fan control seems to be a factor.

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
Ages and ages ago, I had issues with Asus Pentium 4 motherboards having a hard-coded thermal shutdown limit that was set too low. Those systems didn't freeze. They'd go hard-off and then display a boot time message indicating that the CPU had experienced a thermal event.

You might want to look and see if there are system event messages in your BIOS that are being suppressed since you're not getting those sorts of boot-time errors and fan control seems to be a factor.
As a result of this post by Chewy509..... http://www.storageforum.net/forum/s...-in-BIOS-setup?p=177131&viewfull=1#post177131 I enabled the ASUS Q-Fan Control function from it's previously disabled status. Thank you Chewy for the "push" to do a risky BIOS update when a sudden freeze at the time would render my pc "null and void." The real end of my freezes occurred right after I disabled the function. By updating the BIOS, I was able to use the function built into the CMOS chip on the motherboard, with complete success. I couldn't be happier with my desktop.

In fact, a problem I had all along seems to have been resolved. The desktop shortcuts I generated manually would disappear without any apparent reason. I made a .bat batch file to copy those shortcuts from a folder where I placed them for this purpose. Now the shortcuts stay put!