Did You Know You Are Rich? About Taxes & Tax Reduction

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Clocker said:
Merc-
You kind of lost me there. In this theoretical situation, how would you be paying for my kids to got to UltraRich school when I'm just getting back my tax dollars that would have otherwise been allocated to my child's education?

I don't know if the de facto state endorsement it really what it would be. I tend to think of it as an endorsement of a person's right to choose.

:mrgrn: Why do I always start these tax threads...

C

We're all throwing our money into the pot and saying "This is for public good", right? So we can look at things one of two ways
1. We can say that, by you "getting your money back to send your kid to a private school" that you've decided to withdraw from the public weal. In that case it logically follows that individuals should be able to withdraw from the public weal for other reasons (I don't want my money going to pay for retirees, say). In any case, this is not a good precedent for lots of reasons.
2. The other way we can look at it is that some of the public weal (just just Clocker's money, but Clocker and the other members of his community) went to pay for part of your kid's private schooling, which raises issues of ownership and control over education, which in turn raises issues of the real benefit of private schooling.

Of course the "third" way is how things are now: You throw your money into the pot, for the good of all, and if that isn't good enough for you, you can choose to throw some different money into a different pot, and get your kid into a school with a latin motto and uniforms with blue blazers. ;)

School choice? Fine. Public school choice. As a taxpayer, I have a measure of control over the teaching in a public school. If nothing else, I can run for school board and try to change it. I don't want to pay for a school that I don't have at least that degree of control over.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I used to be a big supporter of public education but as of late I find the concept less and less appealing. First and most importantly, the public schools by and large are failing miserably at what they do. They have become patronage mills for labor unions and political hacks. Teachers seem more interested in their sabbaticals or having sex with their students than actually teaching. Far too many teachers are ill-qualified. Public schools are spending a greater portion of their budgets on non-educational activities like pre-Kindergarten(i.e. taxpayer funded daycare), before and after school "programs"(whatever happened to doing your homework and going out to play afterwards?), and teacher "enrichment" days. There are all sorts of stupid union work rules that prevent a teacher from changing a light bulb or opening the building for weekend classes. Add to all these the constant experimenting with different methods of teaching(most of which fail miserably), and you have a recipe for disaster. The fact that many parents send their children to school ill-prepared to learn only compounds the problem. However, since the schools are "public", they are guaranteed funding regardless of their performance. All attempts to tie teacher pay to student performance on standardized tests are roundly rejected by the teacher's unions for some reason. Strangely, unions never seem to like paying according to productivity even though this would weed out the lazy and the incompetent.

Second, I strongly believe parents should not have children they cannot afford. Part of the cost of raising a child is paying for their education. It is not up to society to pay to educate children because the parents are too poor to afford to. Simply put, the parents should have though about this before having the child, same as with food or clothing. Given the overcrowded state the world is in, we would be far better off if only the upper middle class and rich had children. This would make the issue of public education a moot point. Also, growing up in poverty often produces undesirable emotional baggage carrying over to adulthood. If I could have one wish, it would be that no child would ever grow up poor. This one thing would do more to improve the general standards of humanity than anything else but it won't happen as long as the poor insist on spitting out children like rabbits.

If the tax dollars spent on public education actually produced good results, I might feel differently, but the system is broke beyond repair. Most attempts at fixing it simply involve either throwing more money at the problem(i.e rewarding failure), or stupid panaceas like smaller class sizes or school uniforms. If they really want to fix the schools, start by getting the labor unions out of the picture. Prohibit all public employees, not just teachers, from joining labor unions because unions increase the costs of running essential services unreasonably. Once this is done the system can be run much more efficiently, the good teachers rewarded, and the bad ones fired without a long drawn out grievance process. Next, fine any parent who sends their children to school ill-prepared(i.e. hungry, not dressed properly). End all before or afterschool programs that don't have educational value, and end pre-Kindergarten, period. Part of the responsibility of having a child is being home for that child when they return from school, or making arrangements otherwise. Use tried and true teaching methods rather than experimenting, at least until basic reading and math skills are taught. While I'm open to trying new methods, we should not use our children as guinea pigs before they learn the basics. Require stringent physical as well as mental education. I'm a firm believer in sound body, sound mind. Too many children these days get doctors notes to "opt-out" of physical education for questionable reasons. Many of these children use their obesity as an excuse, and it was lack of physical activity that caused the obesity in the first place! End social promotions, and have standardized curriculums and tests with enough latitude for enriched programs so those who learn fast don't get bored(a major problem I had in the early grades). Stop using special ed as a dumping ground for unruly or difficult to teach students. The special ed budget per student is more than double the regular one, and experts have said that most of those in special ed really don't belong there. I could go on, but I think I've made my point about the major changes needed.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Bravo. jtr!

I agree with you completely. Perhaps forcing all public schools to compete with eachother as well as private schools will help alleviate some of the problems you describe. I believe that forcing schools to be accountable for their performance and enforcing that with funding is the way. The should at least show signs of improvement in order to get their $.

There are only a limited number of people able to participate on school boards etc. Why not give everybody the ability to vote with their wallets?

Maybe some of the waste that currently plagues our school systems will subside with a little competition and accountability. I don't see how things could get any worse.

Merc-
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :wink:

Clocker

Mercutio

jtr - Bullshit.

On many, many levels.

I want to write a huge reply to some of your points, and I will, when I have more time. For now, though, remain assured that I am in firm disagreement with you.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
jtr, I'm very happy for you that you did not have to experience what it's like to grow up poor. Also that your family has apparently never endured a large-scale negative change in its finances.

I grew up poor. My mother had to get assistance from her parents to keep a roof over our heads. We used food stamps and I got the embarassing-to-use-but-free school lunch program. I could not participate in many extra-curricular activities as I had no funds if those were necessary (band instrument rental) and also had to leave immediately to catch the school bus home as we certainly couldn't afford for me to take the city bus. I got a paper router when I was 12 so I could afford to buy my own clothes. It really sucked having just one pair of jeans that fit at any gien time throughout grade school. No dental care or medical insurance either, of course, so in my adult life I've had to endure fixing my teeth in hope that they'll last into my 40s.

Why I grew up in that situation had nothing to do with trying to milk the system or trying to take advantage of society. Both of my parents are college-degreed. My mother stopped being a teacher so she could raise the kids. My father worked for the local government (Water Department). They divorced around the time I turned 5. Dad always made his child support payments, but mother never could find employment that paid enough. We never had a car newer than 10 years old. Even after I was grown that was the case until the mid 90s when mom recieved an inheritance and used part of it to buy the first new car of her life (at the time, she was already in her early 60s). Over the years, this took a toll on her and she now has severe depression.

jtr1962 said:
I used to be a big supporter of public education but as of late I find the concept less and less appealing. First and most importantly, the public schools by and large are failing miserably at what they do. They have become patronage mills for labor unions and political hacks.
I agree somewhat. I definitely feel that teacher's unions have overstayed their usefullness to society. While at one time they were necessary to insure teachers could get decent wages & benefits, most of those issues have long been solved. Teacher's unions currently seem more interested in self-preservation than anything else.

Teachers seem more interested in their sabbaticals or having sex with their students than actually teaching.
1. Who isn't interested in earning time off? My company offers sabaticals & increases in vacation time as I gain more years of service. I'm looking forward to being here long enough to take advantage of those perks myself.

2. Really, don't you think the sex angle is a reach? Those are very isolated situations affecting far less than 1% of the teachers nationwide.

The vast majority of teachers are there to provide an education. Many could earn much better wages in the 'real' world and choose to teach because they want to make a difference.

Far too many teachers are ill-qualified. Public schools are spending a greater portion of their budgets on non-educational activities like pre-Kindergarten(i.e. taxpayer funded daycare), before and after school "programs"(whatever happened to doing your homework and going out to play afterwards?), and teacher "enrichment" days.
There are unqualified & uncaring teachers out there. There should be competency testing every other year to weed out those who no longer fit the bill. The uncaring attitude is mostly adopted from uncaring students who are raised by uncaring parents. My first wife was a high school home ec teacher in Gary, IN. Talk about situations where no one cared. She left teaching because the parents didn't care about the students who in turn didn't care about school (or anything other than socializing). No wonder the administration couldn't do anything. The parents never backed them up.

Before- & after-school programs weren't necessary 30-40 years ago. Back then most families had 1 wage earner and 1 homemaker. A parent was always home and had sufficient means to provide meals & help with homework. Current family structures have changed. Due to the desire for material wealth, in most 2-parent homes both parents work. This leaves no one home to feed the child breakfast or to make sure they get on the bus to school. It also makes the child a latch-key child in the afternoon, with no guardian to make sure the child does their homework & stays safe. Not to mention just gets home safely.

Those programs would generally not be necessary if a couple's desire for material wealth didn't outweigh their desire to raise a family.

On a side note, there is an emotional impact to the children from this. They learn that their parents don't have time for them. That it's fine to leave people alone. That, when they have kids, they don't have to worry about being there to raise them.

On teacher enrichment, how do you expect the teachers to stay current if you don't provide for it?

There are all sorts of stupid union work rules that prevent a teacher from changing a light bulb or opening the building for weekend classes.
These are only stupid until an accident happens and the inevitable lawsuit occurs. Ask your local school board how their insurance costs would be affected by adding weekend schooling.

This is more a failing of society than a failing of the educational system. If society wasn't hell-bent on filing a lawsuit over every hangnail & stubbed toe their child has outside the home, things would be much better. For more proof, look to the current news stories about doctors who are no longer practicing because of the cost of malpractice insurance.

The fact that many parents send their children to school ill-prepared to learn only compounds the problem.
Very true. And it's my belief that this is a direct result of the parent's desire for material wealth overruling the desire to raise physically & emotionally healthy children.

However, since the schools are "public", they are guaranteed funding regardless of their performance. All attempts to tie teacher pay to student performance on standardized tests are roundly rejected by the teacher's unions for some reason. Strangely, unions never seem to like paying according to productivity even though this would weed out the lazy and the incompetent.
Funny how that works...

I basically agree with the caveat that to measure teacher performance you also have to take into account the caliber of the students and their actual ability to learn.

Second, I strongly believe parents should not have children they cannot afford. Part of the cost of raising a child is paying for their education. It is not up to society to pay to educate children because the parents are too poor to afford to. Simply put, the parents should have though about this before having the child, same as with food or clothing.
Your comments here don't take life changes into account. As I mentioned in my opening remarks, when I was born my parents were happily married, owned a home, were educated, etc. But life holds many surprises and by the time I was school-aged my mother was raising us on her own with very little income to rely on.

My wife & I hope to start a family soon. We currently combine for a 6 figure income (very very low 6 figure). If I lose my job, however, that income drops dramatically and, with the current economy and my relative specialty, I could not easily find a replacement job. BTW, she plans on not working and staying home to raise the kid(s). I refuse to allow a child to grow up in my home without active parenting.

In all seriousness, the only way your plan would work is if the State required prospective parents to establish a trust fund fully funded to cover 18 years of operating costs related to raising a child. That would have to include enough funds for the parents to get by as well (mortgage/rent, utilities, clothes, transport, etc.). That is the only way to attempt to guarantee that children will be provided for. Even then, it's not an absolute.

Given the overcrowded state the world is in, we would be far better off if only the upper middle class and rich had children. This would make the issue of public education a moot point.
No, we'd be better off if only the physically, emotionally, and intellectually gifted had children. It would take a couple of generations but the net effect would be dramatic.

Also, growing up in poverty often produces undesirable emotional baggage carrying over to adulthood.
Only if the parents don't care. And I maintain that that can happen regardless of income.

If I could have one wish, it would be that no child would ever grow up poor.
Agreed!

This one thing would do more to improve the general standards of humanity than anything else but it won't happen as long as the poor insist on spitting out children like rabbits.
Since, as I mentioned above, you can't really say what your financial situation will be when the children you have now reach school age, I propose an alternate solution. I propose that, if a person/family accepts financial aid from the government in any form (welfare, food stamps, even unemployment), receipt of those funds hinges on any/all females capable of bearing children taking a (freely supplied) method of birth control. Basically, you can't control what they do before they land on the public roster, but accepting the roster should have consequences and those consequences need to be structured to minimize costs & minimize time on the roster. As an aside, that's why job training and educational benefits should still be a part of the welfare system. Just dropping people without regard to getting them back to being contributing members of society just makes things worse in the long run.

If the tax dollars spent on public education actually produced good results, I might feel differently, but the system is broke beyond repair. Most attempts at fixing it simply involve either throwing more money at the problem(i.e rewarding failure), or stupid panaceas like smaller class sizes or school uniforms.
I doubt you will find an educator out there that would prefer to teach a large class over a small one. It may work at the college level where students are expected to fend for themselves, but large classes do not provide adequate attention to individual students. School uniforms take care of the dress code issue easily. They also eliminate girls from wearing seductive outfits and boys from wearing jeans that are about to fall down off their hips. While I generally am neutral towards school uniforms, they can be effective at reducing the visibility (and thereby the effectiveness) of negative social situations (overt sexuality, gang signs, etc.).

If they really want to fix the schools, start by getting the labor unions out of the picture. Prohibit all public employees, not just teachers, from joining labor unions because unions increase the costs of running essential services unreasonably. Once this is done the system can be run much more efficiently, the good teachers rewarded, and the bad ones fired without a long drawn out grievance process.
Agreed.

Next, fine any parent who sends their children to school ill-prepared(i.e. hungry, not dressed properly).
If they can't afford food & clothing, how will assessing a fine help things?

End all before or afterschool programs that don't have educational value, and end pre-Kindergarten, period.
Before- and after-school programs should, I agree, be education oriented. I see no problem with pre-K as long as it is a fee-based system priced competitively with regular day-care services. It should be self-funding and not rely on government/tax funds (with the exception being access to the school facilities).

Part of the responsibility of having a child is being home for that child when they return from school, or making arrangements otherwise.
This has nothing to do with the schools. As mentioned above, this is by and large due to most parents placing greed and the desire for material wealth above the well-being of their children.

Use tried and true teaching methods rather than experimenting, at least until basic reading and math skills are taught. While I'm open to trying new methods, we should not use our children as guinea pigs before they learn the basics. Require stringent physical as well as mental education. I'm a firm believer in sound body, sound mind. Too many children these days get doctors notes to "opt-out" of physical education for questionable reasons. Many of these children use their obesity as an excuse, and it was lack of physical activity that caused the obesity in the first place! End social promotions, and have standardized curriculums and tests with enough latitude for enriched programs so those who learn fast don't get bored(a major problem I had in the early grades).
Agreed on every point.

Stop using special ed as a dumping ground for unruly or difficult to teach students. The special ed budget per student is more than double the regular one, and experts have said that most of those in special ed really don't belong there. I could go on, but I think I've made my point about the major changes needed.
Agree if that's what's actually happening. My experience working with educators was not that way, but I'm sure that it can happen easily enough.

Even though I grew up poor, I was lucky in that I had educators who cared about their students. In grade school, my 4th grade teacher would drive me and some others to the library in her vehicle to take part in a summer reading proigram. In HS, I was able to take part in a class field trip to Chicago (from Indianapolis) because a teacher provided my spending money (for lunch) out of his own pocket. Others saw I was above-average and challenged me to learn more. I was a lab assistant for HS Chem & CS (including a summer job assisting teachers who were about computer literacy -- talk about a role reversal!). I even had a special assignment to write a program to track my HS' attendance (1600 students on an IBM PC with dual-160K floppies using BASIC) including report breakdowns by name Special Ed classifications, etc.

I grew up poor and went to public schools. Much of my younger life was lived off of public welfare to some degree. Regardless, I acheived honor roll all the time, National Honor Society for 3 years straight, was a member of Junior & Senior Cabinets, achieved several national-level merit awards, was awarded several state level honors, attended college courses while in HS on scholarship, was accepted to MIT & Cal Tech among others, and recieved scholarships that allowed me to attend private college with minimal student loans (MIT & CalTech just weren't financially feasable even with student aid).

Almost finally, most of what I said about greed & the desire for material wealth does not necessarily apply to single-parent households. In many of those situations, the parent is doing all they can to balance their parenting with the demands of having to work to bring in an income. Some evn have to work more than one job to make ends meet.

Finally, I'm glad we agree on some things and can debate those we disagree on. We can all learn from each other's experiences and perspectives.

- Fushigi

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I look forward to your reply, Mercutio. We don't usually disagree on many topics, at least not this strongly.

It seems that one of the reasons you like public schools is because you can have some input on the curriculum through local school boards. Think again. Local school boards have failed-miserably. In fact, Mayor Bloomberg has not only gotten rid on the Board of Education, but also the local school boards. When decentralization started in the 1960s, it was thought that the local school boards would provide a way for parents to have some input. Incidentally, at the time the system by and large worked very well. I'm a product of that system, up to and including high school(Bronx HS of Science).

Starting with the local boards, the system began a thirty year slide into the abyss that exists today. While the local boards can't be blamed for much of this, they failed to provide the oversight that they were supposed to, and in many cases made the problem worse. The local boards became simple patronage mills. If you had the right political connections, it was easy to get on the board. For some strange reason the elections were held at a different time than the general elections in November, so few bothered to vote. In many cases, all you needed were a couple of hundred votes, and you were in. Many of these votes were obtained by offering homeless people a quart of Jack Daniels in exchange for coming in and voting. Quite often, only one person was on the ballot, so they were guaranteed a position with one vote. Once in office, many of these people were professional junketeers, hiring on friends as "assistants" and taking many trips, ostensibly to improve education, to places like Jamaica and the Bahamas(I don't think either of these places have anything that outstanding about their schools). The few members who cared never had enough power to make a difference in the system, or even locally.

In the end, Bloomberg chose to go back to a largely centralized model with greater oversight, but to leave the top 20% of schools independent on the theory that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. As a school performs better, it will get more independence. Conversely, if it start to slide, it will fall under more centralized oversight until it improves. Whether the new system will work or not remains to be seen, but Bloomberg has staked his mayorality on it the way Guiliani staked his on crime(and to a smaller degree welfare reform). I'm willing to give public education this one last shot, but if it fails this time around, I will openly oppose the concept entirely were I to run for political office, and fight to get rid of the requirement that the state provide an education at taxpayer expense.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
jtr, I'm very happy for you that you did not have to experience what it's like to grow up poor. Also that your family has apparently never endured a large-scale negative change in its finances.

You couldn't be more wrong, and that is precisely why I support some system like you mentioned where only the gifted and financially able are allowed to have children. I lived in a NYC Housing project for the first 15 years of my life. We didn't even have a car until I was 9, not that you needed one in NYC anyway(I still don't have a license or a car). While it wasn't bad in the early years, in the early 1970s welfare families starting moving in, and the picture changed dramtically. We started getting roaches, people were hanging out at all hours, there was alway urine and feces in the elevator, and my mother and sister had lewd remarks directed at them whenever they walked by. I was bullied going to school for a while(until I beat the crap out of one of them with a crowbar-he landed in the hospital for three months and nearly died). I did something similar to some of the people bothering my brother and sister. Nobody bothered us after that, but I hated what I became because of it. An acquaintance of mine, who was a perfectly nice kid until bullies bothered him, actually killed someone who was bothering him. He and a few of his friends dragged the guy to the roof and pushed him off. They put another bully in a wheelchair for life. Got away with it free and clear, too, since the people they got rid of were causing a lot of the grief. In the end most of the decent families had it either putting up with nonsense or resorting to vigilantism(the police were useless at the time), so they moved out once they could afford to. We saved enough to buy a house, which is where I still live today. Even now, I know all about not having enough money. I actually have to think about making a $10 purchase, although at least the neighborhood is good and I do have enough spare cash for hobbies.

I never wish for any child to grow up poor. Just because both you and I overcame it doesn't mean that many, or most, do. While being poor in the early 1960s wasn't bad because the projects were still decent, nowadays you'll end up in a sh*thole like East New York where you'll get crack dealers propositioning you and stray bullets flying through your living room window. It sucks to be poor nowadays.

My company offers sabaticals & increases in vacation time as I gain more years of service. I'm looking forward to being here long enough to take advantage of those perks myself.

2. Really, don't you think the sex angle is a reach? Those are very isolated situations affecting far less than 1% of the teachers nationwide.

Everyone likes days off, but the teachers already have the whole summer off plus two weeks around Christmas and a week for Easter. I would love a job with as much time off. I don't see why they need to get a whole year off, with pay, for a sabbatical. Most people are lucky to get three or four weeks per year, and that's after being in a job for something like 15 years.

About the sex situation, less than 1% get caught, often because a pregnancy results. The rest are discrete enough about it not to, and based on anecdotal evidence I think the figure is something like 10 to 20% of teachers are regularly seeing one or more of their students. Frankly, if the person is at least about 15, the affair is totally consensual, the student is not given special classroom favors, and no pregnancies or transmitted diseases result I'm OK with it. On the other hand, sexually molesting a very young child can cause untold damage, and this should be dealt with swiftly and severely. Fortunately, this is the exception. Most of the "affairs" involve teenagers who for the most part look and act pretty much like adults, and I don't generally have a big problem with it even though society does.

The vast majority of teachers are there to provide an education. Many could earn much better wages in the 'real' world and choose to teach because they want to make a difference.

Correction-they started off wanting to make a difference and gradually grow jaded and uncaring because of the system.

Before- & after-school programs weren't necessary 30-40 years ago. Back then most families had 1 wage earner and 1 homemaker. A parent was always home and had sufficient means to provide meals & help with homework. Current family structures have changed. Due to the desire for material wealth, in most 2-parent homes both parents work. This leaves no one home to feed the child breakfast or to make sure they get on the bus to school. It also makes the child a latch-key child in the afternoon, with no guardian to make sure the child does their homework & stays safe. Not to mention just gets home safely.

Those programs would generally not be necessary if a couple's desire for material wealth didn't outweigh their desire to raise a family.

Thank you for proving my point, especially the last part. In many but not all cases, both parents don't need to work. If the parents make the decision that material things are more important than their child, why should the state pay for their day care, which is what pre-K amounts to? We are a far too materialistic society, and I've grown to hate capitalism with a passion, although not quite as much as socialism. I blame the mass media as much for this as the parents, although the choice still exists to ignore the message they are sending.

On a side note, there is an emotional impact to the children from this. They learn that their parents don't have time for them. That it's fine to leave people alone. That, when they have kids, they don't have to worry about being there to raise them.

And isn't this an awful message to be sending your children? No wonder I meet so many maladjusted adults nowadays.

My wife & I hope to start a family soon. We currently combine for a 6 figure income (very very low 6 figure). If I lose my job, however, that income drops dramatically and, with the current economy and my relative specialty, I could not easily find a replacement job. BTW, she plans on not working and staying home to raise the kid(s). I refuse to allow a child to grow up in my home without active parenting.

This is very commendable, and I wish all parents or parents-to-be had your attitude. Sadly, it's the exception, not the rule.

No, we'd be better off if only the physically, emotionally, and intellectually gifted had children. It would take a couple of generations but the net effect would be dramatic.

I agree totally. Having just wealth doesn't in and of itself make one a good parent. Many rich parents raise basket cases because they just throw material things, not attention and love, at their children.

Every person should know themselves. Given my emotional makeup, I know I would make a horrible parent, my current poor finances aside. I just don't like children, period. Therefore, I would never have any, and would only marry someone who feels the same. Strangely, I love all animals, cats in particular, but raising a cat and a child are two entirely different things.

As an aside, that's why job training and educational benefits should still be a part of the welfare system. Just dropping people without regard to getting them back to being contributing members of society just makes things worse in the long run.

It was dropped because it wasn't working. One of my cousins was/is on welfare. Part of his "job training" consisted of stuffing platic utensils in a bag. If they want to offer real-world training(i.e. computers, technical skills, construction trades, etc.) I'm all for it. You also need some sort of job placement service once this skills are taught or the person will get discouraged and wonder what the point of the training was.

School uniforms take care of the dress code issue easily. They also eliminate girls from wearing seductive outfits and boys from wearing jeans that are about to fall down off their hips. While I generally am neutral towards school uniforms, they can be effective at reducing the visibility (and thereby the effectiveness) of negative social situations (overt sexuality, gang signs, etc.).

Parents can have more effect here by forcing thier children to dress appropriately for school. This is just another case of putting part of parenting on society.

If they can't afford food & clothing, how will assessing a fine help things?

I see children here going to school eating junk like twinkies. This is a solid middle class neighborhood, so lack of money isn't always the reason children come to school ill-prepared. Many times the money is there, but the parents spend it on material things rather than food. Or they just can't be bothered being involved in their child's life because they're too self-absorbed. Maybe a few fines would wake them up, although it's a sad commentary on society that you need to force parents to do what they should be doing anyway.

Almost finally, most of what I said about greed & the desire for material wealth does not necessarily apply to single-parent households. In many of those situations, the parent is doing all they can to balance their parenting with the demands of having to work to bring in an income. Some evn have to work more than one job to make ends meet.

Yes, this is correct, and I'm not sure what can be done about it. Staying together for the sake of the children often produces more harm than good. A greater effort should be made to collect child support, but if the estranged parent is a drug addict or alcoholic, this accomplishes little. Perhaps people should select their partner more carefully rather than settling. This is partly society's fault for making those without a significant other feel worthless. I would rather be alone, as I am now, than settle. In fact, I only knew one girl that I liked enough to even think about possible marriage, but I was too young at the time to even consider it. I haven't dated at all for about 20 years. I just don't like most of what's out there, either physically or intellectually.

Finally, I'm glad we agree on some things and can debate those we disagree on. We can all learn from each other's experiences and perspectives.

Yes, this is an interesting and enjoyable topic. I neither want nor expect everyone to agree with everything I have to say. It would be a boring world if that were so.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
jtr, sorry to hear about your upbringing. It sounds worse than mine was. I only had a gun pointed at me once. The main neighborhood bully was actually my best friend's brother, so I got off easy; just a lot of teasing.

I don't have any more extra time to respond now, but I think we both agree that a lot of the blame for the schools, based on what we're saying, in actuality belongs with the parents. The parents who...

- value money over family.
- don't spend sufficient time, quality or not, with their kids.
- don't take an active role in their children's education.
- don't see to it that their children do their homework.
- don't ensure their kids aren't going to school hungry.
- don't set a moral example.
- don't give their children a proper sex education.
- basically don't care.

Oh, one thing I wanted to mention earlier. It is possible for public schools to compete. Here in Chicagoland, people intentionally move to the burbs that have the better schools. My home's school district is in the top 15% in the state. That was a factor when we moved. We also just approved a referendum to build a very nice new HS to accomodate the huge population growth our area is experiencing (district enrollment will double in the next 5-7 years). We have a financial analyst on the board and the district operates in the black, unlike most school districts.

A coworker is moving to a nearby town (Naperville, IL) because their public schools are good enough that he can save money by moving & taking his kids out of private school.

So, in the right environment, competition can work even with public schools.

- Fushigi

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
jtr, sorry to hear about your upbringing. It sounds worse than mine was. I only had a gun pointed at me once. The main neighborhood bully was actually my best friend's brother, so I got off easy; just a lot of teasing.

Lucky you, although at least I had both parents living with me(still do), which was a plus. I also had a gun pointed at me once, in the subway about 14 years ago. The guy was stoned, and I managed to disarm him, but it was still scary, nonetheless. I actually saw a dead body on the Times Square station of the #7 subway when I was a teenager. Some guy the cops shot for turnstile jumping.

I seems we both agree poor parents are more to blame for failing schools than the teachers. Still the system deserves it's fair share of the blame.

I'm not sure if what you describe is school competition so much as it is "voting with your feet". In the late 1960s/early 1970s there was a massive middle class move to suburbia from NYC. This represented a big loss in the tax base, and meant that things were even worse for those who were left behind. The schools in the suburbs were good partly because the deck was stacked in their favor. The people who cared enough about their children's education to relocate probably would have had good results if enough of them stayed in the city and used city schools instead. Ditto for the crime situation. In effect, this is/was a brain drain to the suburbs. NYC has had a sort of revival recently partly because it has been able to keep more middle class from leaving, helped others leave welfare and become middle class, and attracted people back to the city who were fed up driving on crowded suburban roads every day. Sort of the reverse of what happened 30 years ago, although the suburbs have not yet declined as a result, and hopefully won't.

Mercutio

OK. I've got to sit down and read all that's happened between jtr and Fushigi. Cripes you two were busy.

Just keep in mind, jtr, that I *am* a teacher. OK, a trainer. Someone who teaches adults. Given some of my experiences, I've concluded there isn't much difference.

Mercutio

Just to make a few things clear:
I *currently* live in what would be called a low-income area.
I support the idea of population control.
I'm not hearing much from either jtr or Fushigi that I can say I agree with.

Anyway, I guess this will be part one of Mercutio's contribution to the Storage Forum version of the Algonquin Round Table

Two-income families and "greed" (this is anecdotal, so bear with me): I work witha pair of early-30-ish women. Both smart, college educated, and both very loving mothers of two-year-olds. Both work.
I've heard them complain about child care. It costs a lot. $500 a month is CHEAP, it turns out. So why work?
... well, as it turns out, in both cases, these college-educated women got started in their adult lives with college-education loans. And loans for cars, so that they could travel from place to place in search of income to pay for their student loans. So they entered their adult lives needing income to pay the loans for the "perks" of their adulthood (education and transportation). Both of these women took modest-paying jobs with a small training company (one spent a year teaching in public school, but I'll get to that, probably in another post), and began the slow process of ekeing loan payments out from their paychecks (which were also consumed by other factors like housing and purchasing those things needed for a new household). Eventually, both of these women met a man whose situation was very similar to their own, and they married, settled down, and began the nesting process - buying a home (another loan!) and having a child.

At this point, each of these women and their respective partners, on top of the modest income that both they and their partners earn, have two loans for education ($200 a month, each), two loans for automobiles ($300 a month, each), one GIANT loan for a home ($800 a month, and I'm being generous), and child care that costs as much as a rent payment ($500 a month). That's $2300 a month, right there. And utilities haven't been paid, there's no budget for food, no clothes for the kid, insurance, or money for a rainy day.
For young people in modest-paying jobs, that is a LOT of money. Maybe together the pair is bringing in $60,000, a little above the national average. At that point, they basically can't save anything, 'cause probably close to three grand a month is going out in expenses, taxes take maybe 1/3 of their earnings and the other ~ $300 will get spent on... something within that month, or maybe it'll be put away in savings, where it's just as unusable (you're saving it = not spending it).

OK, now let's take the "Mommy doesn't work" approach: Well, off the bat our income level drops. We'll say Dad only pulls in $30k (still above average!). Maybe mom didn't go to college, and she doesn't need a car. She's a child-care machine! Well, we're saving $1000 a month with mom not driving or being educated. Dad still went to school, though, and still needs to get to work. Maybe there's no house in this picture. Mom and dad and kid live in a 2-bedroom apartment exactly like the one Mercutio lives in ($550 a month, $250 cheaper than that house). What's the picture look like now?

Dad's college loan ($200/month) + dad's car ($300 a month) + rent ($550/month) = $1050 a month, and we haven't paid for food, clothes, phone, electrical... whatever. Hope the roughly $1650 Dad makes every month will pay for it all.

(Of course, at this point, one might reasonably ask what the hell Dad is doing with a college degree only making $30k a year. Who knows? Maybe he's a teacher who has been working five or six years).

Maybe this all comes down to "You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.", but the introduction of a child and the decision by both partners to attend college as a full-time student (i.e. take out loans to pay for everything) seem to have really DRASTIC consequences on one's immediate economic outlook in early adulthood.

Extrapolating a bit, these "greedy" parents who are both working may very well be trapped into working through the consequences of their decisions as young adults. I think that's a more fair characterization than the simplistic label "greedy". "Parents" aren't the villians in a Disney movie! Frankly, neither are the much-demonized "welfare mothers" that conservative policy-makers like to bitch about. In both cases, what we have is a series of poor choices leading to what ultimately decides one's social and economic status. Of course, the decision to have a child is very, very seldom one of economics.

I suppose if I remembered my statistics better than I do, I could do a bit of googling and figure out the statistical point at which single-earner, middle-class households become economically feasible. I don't, I'm lazy. I'd guess it's probably something around one standard deviation from that median US wage that was thrown in WAY up at the top of this thread.

Anyway, the whole point of all this is ultimately to reject the idea of "greed" as the nominative cause of the poor state of public schooling.
That's bad, and that's simplistic, and it's something that doesn't deserve to be dismissed that way.
Why don't we set aside assignations of blame until after we've dissected the matter exhaustively?

This post was typed entirely while a cat slept across my arms.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Extrapolating a bit, these "greedy" parents who are both working may very well be trapped into working through the consequences of their decisions as young adults. I think that's a more fair characterization than the simplistic label "greedy". "Parents" aren't the villians in a Disney movie! Frankly, neither are the much-demonized "welfare mothers" that conservative policy-makers like to bitch about. In both cases, what we have is a series of poor choices leading to what ultimately decides one's social and economic status. Of course, the decision to have a child is very, very seldom one of economics.

Mercutio, that was a very lucid analysis of the situation as I see it. I still live with my parents at age 40, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, because there is no way a single person can afford to be on their own in New York City given the types of jobs that are available. Assuming I gave up the idea of being self-employed(which I have no plans to), and looked for the best job I could possibly find here given the economy and my intermittant carpal tunnel syndrome, I doubt I would make more than about $40K per annum. There just aren't any engineering jobs in my field(electrical engineering) to speak of in the city, and since I've never worked in the field professionally(i.e. for someone else), I would essentially be paid what a college graduate would be, although I would advance considerably faster(if the opportunity was available) based on my freelance experience and my Ivy League degree(Princeton if you're interested). But in any case, I figured given rents and the huge tax bit here, I would need $50K in pre-tax income to be on my own. Frankly, I see no great advantage to moving out since it would be a step down, especially in the beginning, and would prevent me from saving. Yes, I save money each year, even years when my freelance income is under $5,000, which is more often than not. That's how conservative and tight-assed I am about money, and I'm not ashamed of that, either. If I was fortunate enough to get a good job right out of college, I still would have stayed with my parents, and by now could have bought a $500,000 house in NYC with cash.

I underlined the key point in your post because you hit the nail on the head. These are poor decisions these people made early in life, and short of moving back in with their parents(which I realize isn't always an option), these people are in a rut. But they made these decisions, and they alone should bear the consequences. I college degree is probably a good investment worth taking out a loan for(although I'm still not keen on starting your working life with $30K of debt). Buying a car to chase after jobs probably isn't. College degree or not, I figured I could actually put aside more money taking any old job rather than relocating for my "dream" job. Besides, I hate the suburbs with a passion for a whole host of reasons(read some of my posts in the various car and pollution threads to refresh your memory). I really think the shift to suburbia and dependence on the auto was the single worst policy decision in US history.

Relocating is expensive, both financially and emotionally. I would likely have needed a car to get to work whereas in NYC I don't, so this is another huge expense saved. I wouldn't have the time or energy to cook after working 80-hour weeks, so more money spent on take out. Not to mention that I would be completely alone in a strange place where I really wouldn't want to be. Given my normal morning level of alertness, I doubt I could hack driving to a day job(I was lucky to find the subway in the morning). Sooner or later, I'm sure I would have gotten in a bad accident, or did a "Falling Down" on the freeway and left my car sitting there. I find nothing more aggravating than sitting in rush hour traffic. The fumes and stop and go motions make me nauseous. In fact, I don't really care to travel by car at all(I hate the jerky motion and smell), so the whole relocation idea was a bad fit, and I realized that. Had these other people did a similar analysis, or had someone do it for them if they lacked the skills, they doubtless would see it was a bad idea.

And yes, I know the decision to have children is seldom based on economics, but it should be the ultimate controlling factor. The world would be a better place if it were.

Why don't we set aside assignations of blame until after we've dissected the matter exhaustively?

Fair enough, and I'm looking forward to reading more from you on it. I didn't say parental greed was the whole cause, it's just one of many factors making a bad situation worse.

This post was typed entirely while a cat slept across my arms.

I know the feeling. Sadly, since Tiger passed away I know longer enjoy that privilege. Lucky and Suzy just aren't as sociable, although both have their moments.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My net connection was screwed up last night so I haven't been able to follow this. Good reading this AM though.

Anyway, can anybody tell me what negative consequences there would be from having public schools actually have to compete with other schools for there funding? Naturally, private schools would cost a premium over the public system (because the public system is so efficient, lol) so taxpayers would be in a position where they can either:

• go to public school for 'free' (not really)
    or
  • pay extra to go to private school (the difference between school tax and the private premium

In this situation, the consumer has the choice to decide if the added 'features' of the private school are worth the added expense. I know that, in my area that, if the public system got just a little better in a few areas, I would not hesitate to save the money I'd spend on a private education and invest it for my childs college education instead.

I'm just trying to figure out where there is so much resistance to a system where people have school of choice and schools compete with eachother. I would expect 'waste' in the system to reduce (maybe lower costs) and the quality of education would go up.

Interested in your opinions....

C

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Merc, as you and jtr said, it's a series of decisions that lead your fictional couple to their situation. A few changes would alter their situation for the better:

1. Buy a dependable used car (Civic, Corolla, etc.) instead of new. They exist and can reduce that $300 payment to $200. Worried about repairs? By a new Hyundai Accent; 37MPG and a 10 year warranty for about $230 a month. Even the headlights are covered.
2. Defer having children for the first 4 years of the marriage.
3. When getting married, be up front and ask for cash/gift cards instead of presents. Do a modest wedding & honeymoon (they can always have a major celebration on their 5th/10th anniversary). This can give the couple quite a bit of start-up cash to use for debt reduction.
4. During those first 4 years, consider a temporary part-time evening/weekend job. Nothing too strenuous. Even working 2 weekends a month at a grocery store, video store, or something retail can bring in a coiuple hundred extra a month that can reduce the debt. A side benefit is usually a discount on purchases at that store.
5. Avoid extra expenses. Refrains from drinking & smoking, see matinee movies vs. evening rates (or wait & rent or borrow from the library), eat out rarely (less expensive and keeps the meal experience as a "special event" even if only going to Denny's). Truth be told, we can eat steak at home for the price of McDonalds.

By doing these few things, they can pay off the cars and make a good dent in the student loans before a child enters the picture without greatly affecting their quality of life. Also, this gives the marriage time to settle down and gives the couple a chance to make the determination that they are emotionally as well as financially capable of supporting a family. Hopefully, by then they will have recieved modest increases in their income.

So, sorry, I still maintain that these couples are being greedy and want to have everything and in that desire they are sacrificing the raising of their children. But hey, I'm greedy too. "I want it all, I want it now, and I want it free." But I realized early on that I wasn't ready to be a parent. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I felt I was emotionally as well as financially up to the challenge.

My position remains: if a couple is choosing to have children, then they need to be aware of the sacrifices they will have to make in terms of time & income as well as expenses. And that they are undertaking a tremendous responsibility. As with any major life decision the first 9 steps are to plan. The 10th step is to execute the plan.

---

Clocker,

Really, the focus needs to be on improving public schools, not shifting students from public to private. We need to work on improving the situation for all Americans and not just those that can afford the price delta. Taking away school funding cannot positively impact the future of America as a whole.

There should be some national standards on what educators are required to provide and funding needs to support those standards. And independent auditors to verify the not only that the funding is going to the right places but that the environment (schools, staff, equipment) are effective in executing the standards. Audits need to not only review the school, but also interview parents of children of various background to see how they feel their children's education is being handled and interview graduates who have gone on to college to see how they feel they compare to college classmates. Perhaps even interview the college profs. SAT/ACT and other "standardized" tests are not the answer.

Will this cost money? Yep. Is it easy? Nope. But then neither are most things that benefit society.

What to do about schools that aren't achieving the goals? Help them, don't shut 'em down. Yes, fire the people who don't comply or can't cut it. Retrain & restructure where feasable.

As far as reform at the local level goes, the standardized curriculum would let school admins be streamlined into typical busines groups (accounting, purchasing, IT, HR, etc.). Schools would be allowed to provide for an education beyond the standard but funding for that would have to come explicitly from the local area and be renewed on an annual basis. School boards would probably not be necessary.

As structured today, classifications for Special Ed would have to remain as, like it or not, not all students will be bright enough to handle the mainstream curriculum.

- Fushigi

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi-

I think you are missing my point. Making public schools compete rather than just giving them a guaranteed revenue stream will force public schools to look at themselves and improve themselves.

Your suggestion, which just sounds like throwing more money at the schools, won't improve the way schools operate. It will just give them a bigger pot of money to squander and waste like they are currently.

My focus isn't to take money away from public schools, it is to make them compete so that they improve their service. It's no different than the price/quality competition in the market-place we see today.

Public schools have a monopoly on tax dollars and have guaranteed income. There is no incentive to improve themselves as long as they meet 'minimum standards'. Why in the hell should we settle for 'minimum' when we can encourage all schools to go for their 'maximum' just be forcing them to compete. We don't accept monopolies in business, why should it be any different for the business of education? Competition can do nothing but improve service & efficiency as far as I can see it.

C

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That article hit the nail on the head. It could very well have been written about the NYC Teachers Union. There was once an expose in the local paper about the bureaucratic bloat of the Board of Education, caused in large part by union work rules forbidding you from doing anything outside your job description. The bureaucracy was simply mind-boggling. It took no fewer than 64 forms in order to change a burned out light bulb! Ridiculous if you ask me.

This quote from the article beautifully illustrates the educational standards of today:

San Francisco Examiner reporter Emily Gurnon asked teenagers to identify the country from which America won its independence. Among the answers: "Japan or something, China. Somewhere out there on the other side of the world." "It wouldn't be Canada, would it?" "I don't know; I don't even, like, have a clue." "I want to say Korea. I'm tripping."

And then of course you have the whole multicultural and "nanny state" ideas taught at teachers' colleges. The best solution at this point is to just junk the whole system and start over again, without any unions. I might even consider a career in teaching if I didn't have to join the stupid teachers union.

fool

Learning Storage Performance
In reading this thread, as is so often the case, I find the hypothetical response forming in my mind bifurcating as the thread frays beyond it’s initial scope.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
If the furtherance of these, for all U.S. citizens is not the sine qua non of the U.S. government then surely nothing is.

Taxation is difficult because it brings the last two of these into conflict.
Obviously when one is compelled to render unto Caesar one is, by that act, rendered less than absolutely free. But what does a person need to be happy?
Once the basic human needs are attended to we look for love, we look for a meaning, a purpose, and we look to the welfare of the community in which we live. It’s community, or rather the variances of and often even within our individual conceptions of community, that leads to a great many of the arguments over tax.
After all you’re not stupid, you worked hard to earn that money, you want to see, not just some but, the maximum possible benefit from your contribution. But if the money gets spent on people or causes that aren’t included in the version of community you’re currently using, or in ways that fail to address what you perceive as the real needs of that community, then it was wasted.

Then someone like me comes along and tells you your idea of what constitutes your community is wrong. Which, offensive as it may be, is true. Unfortunately my definition won’t be any better. No one person can define what must, by its very nature, be a consensus. Because that consensus will, if it is to have any validity, take all our opinions into account, the consensus will be in a constant state of flux. Even if you get it exactly right you still have to do it again.

sotto voice: This may seem unconscionably of topic, even for the pub and brewery, but I promise you its not I’m just taking an age to get to the point. I humbly beg your indulgence just a little longer.

So what we’re looking for is a just balance between the loss of liberty and the gain in happiness engendered by living in the midst of a more civilised community. A flat tax rate represents a greater loss of liberty to those on lower incomes than it does to those earning a comfortable or luxurious salary (see CougTeks post way way wayy up there, from back when this was a little thread).
With a sliding scale you are able to the equalise the relative impact of taxes with regard to wealth, replacing, as it were, a broadsword with a rapier. And of the benefit? While it is unarguably true that those with the least money benefit most it is equally true that everyone in a society benefits from such things as universal education, and whisper it , healthcare. Even if for no other reason than there employees are better educated and take less time off sick than would otherwise be the case.
Furthermore, even if the tax gradient is such that the wealthy suffer greater impingement on their freedom the benefits are still worth it because there’s no other way of getting them.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have been working with a friend for about a year on outlining a proposal defining what we think is an appropriate over all tax structure. One of the basic principles is to remove income based taxation from the plate of the federal government because it is an invasion of privacy. I'm mulling over the appropriateness of a federal flat tax combined with a state/provincial progressive tax. It would be up to the state/province to determine how to pay and collect the flat tax amount.

I also recently stumbled across this. Fun for history and policy buffs alike.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Your flat tax better be really low if you don't want to harm people with a low income. And that'll make you miss a lot of revenue from the upper class. Flat taxes is bad, no matter how you look at it. If you don't agree then you don't know what's being poor.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
CougTek said:
Your flat tax better be really low if you don't want to harm people with a low income. And that'll make you miss a lot of revenue from the upper class. Flat taxes is bad, no matter how you look at it. If you don't agree then you don't know what's being poor.

Do you know how hard it is to be rich Coug?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I know both and I have been weaving from one to another for the past several years. If I would tell you my yearly earnings of the past four years, you wouldn't believe it. Keyword : stock market, especially IT-related. Now I'm in the middle class and climbing again.

No rich ass will make me cry for sure. Hard to be rich? Pssf! Back in year 2000, I've paid more income taxes proportionally than any American ever will. Yet my life was a lot easier than it was last year, when I didn't pay a lot of taxes. ...hard to be rich...I'll write that one somewhere close to Patrick Ewing's declaration's back in the last strike of the NBA players when he complained that he needed money for his wife and to raise his children, despite his 14 millions/year salary.

Blake, you don't know what misery is. Or if you do (did), you have forgotten.

Mercutio

Didn't you say at one point you had an apartment with absolutely no furniture, Howell?

I went through a rough strech after Sept 11 and into early 2002 where my only income was basically selling PCs on ebay. It drove me nuts.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Didn't you say at one point you had an apartment with absolutely no furniture, Howell?

I went through a rough strech after Sept 11 and into early 2002 where my only income was basically selling PCs on ebay. It drove me nuts.

At one point. For three months after I moved in I only had a sleeping bag and stuff to eat off of. I didn't turn on the AC or heat that year and half of the next. It was sufficient as I didn't have work for 8 months. I have two weeks left on the current contract.