Difficulties with Adaptec 3805 !

Camomille

What is this storage?
Hello,
Thanks for accepting me in your group !
I am experiencing strange problems with my 3805 and Seagate compatible drives (ST32000542AS).
Everything were fine when creating first array with new drives. After deleting this first created array and doing a "secure erase discs" it is now impossible to select any drive for new array creation nor drive initialization. Up & down keys don't do anything and no drive is highlighted. Drives are found, recognized and listed but cannot be used !!
I don't think I have to low format drives before being able to use them?
For info, MB is an Intel DQ67SW with i7 2600 and drives are installed in a Icy Dock MB674.
Problem is still present when drives are directly connected to the card. Testing with an other new 3805 do not solve the problem either ! Different keyboards have also been tested with same results!

Maybe there is an option that is not correctly set in MB bios or 3805 configuration !! ??? !!
Openfiler 2.3 is still installed on a separate drive (sdba). Maybe it writes
anything on the drives ?????

Has anyone already experienced such problem ?

I am already stryggling with this for 2 weeks now. If anyone could tell me in what direction I have to search for the solution .....

Great thanks in advance.
Greetings to all.
Camomille

ddrueding

Fixture
The first thing I would check is to connect the drive to an onboard port and see if you can create a partition. After that try putting the drive back on the controller and I'll bet it can now access it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've personally experienced, and I've read a number of accounts from others, issues with Seagate "green" drives in RAID arrays. Seagate certainly does not certify them for use in that role. There are some theories that suggest that modern 5400rpm drives drives have some aspect of their firmware that, in the name of lower energy utilization, interferes with those drives' performance in disk arrays. They have a marked tendency to be marked as absent from arrays after operating properly for some short period of time.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that you might very well be trying to use the wrong tool for the job with those Seagate drives whether or not that one drive in particular is functioning as Seagate intended.

Camomille

What is this storage?
Thanks for your replies!

a. I put the drives in an onboard connector and discovered that all drives are now faulty:
"error #90 : EZ-drive has been detected on drive 1, but EZ-drive is corrupt. Run the EZ-drive setup diskette to correct this problem."

b. About the choice of Seagate. I first tried with WD15EADS and already had same problem. Since these drives are not listed as compatible with 3805 ( http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/compatibility_report/20103_arcsas_cr_110510_3x05_3085.pdf) , I decided to try with compatible HDD.

At the moment, I have replaced sda (Maxtor 300go) by a fresh & empty WD15EARS. Former maxtor drive also contained errors according to PM 8.5.

I'll make other tests and investigate further. I'll come back and post my results ;)

Thanks again for these first tips.

Greetings to all.

Camomille

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If the BIOS sees the drive you might want to download Partition Wizard (it's free) and write all zeros to the drive. At least it will be back to factory specs.

Camomille

What is this storage?
Thanks for your replies!

a. I put the drives in an onboard connector and discovered that all drives are now faulty:
"error #90 : EZ-drive has been detected on drive 1, but EZ-drive is corrupt. Run the EZ-drive setup diskette to correct this problem."

b. About the choice of Seagate. I first tried with WD15EADS and already had same problem. Since these drives are not listed as compatible with 3805 ( http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/compatibility_report/20103_arcsas_cr_110510_3x05_3085.pdf) , I decided to try with compatible HDD.

c.The BIOS does not see the drives connected to the 3805. They are recognized by the Adaptec Manager. I am obliged to low format each disk separately in an other pc. I can also connect the disks on any onboard sata connector and reboot to dos Seagate disks tools!

At the moment, I have replaced sda (Maxtor 300go) by a fresh & empty WD15EARS. Former maxtor drive also contained errors according to PM 8.5.

I'll make other tests and investigate further. I'll come back and post my results ;)

Thanks again for these first tips.

Greetings to all.

Camomille

Camomille

What is this storage?
Hello,

High time I come back and tell you how I sorted the problem!

Adaptec'support team told me the secure erase is erasing so many things it is normal that drives have to be low formatted afterwards!
so, Beware before using this function!!

Greetings to all.

Camomille