Digital Camera SLR or SLR-like

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
We have a (now fairly old) Nikon 8700 which has served us very well and still works like new after however many years it's been. But of course, technology has marched on and we're getting left in the dust again. I don't plan to pay $1000 on a camera again, but we do want an extra camera, and I wouldn't mind a "modern equivalent" of this one. Anyone know of something like that?

A feature I really enjoy on this camera is the time-lapse movie. One problem with the camera would be that it's a tad on the sluggish side, probably especially compared to it's modern counterparts.

Any ideas? I'm thinking something in the $600 or under range, roughly. A true SLR would be nice, but not really a necessity. Though I'd probably be willing to spend a bit more on one. Do SLRs have movie modes?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The Nikon D60 does something with your still images to turn it into a slideshow-style stop-motion animation movie... not a real-time movie, though.

RWIndiana

So the D60 is a good one? My favorite review place (DCRP) didn't review it, is there another good place to get reviews?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Yes, it's a great little dSLR based on last year's D40x. I don't think anyone has reviewed the D60 yet, but dpreview.com will probably have their review completed in 2-4 weeks since they already have sample pics taken with both the 18-55/VR kit lens and the 18-200/VR online (go to the lens reviews). The D60 pics are the first 5 pics in the 18-200 review, and the first 10 pics taken in the 18-55 review. (the other sample pics come from the D300, which gives you an idea of how well the D60 pics compare and how good the in-camera processing is on the newer Nikons)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Which 18-55 and which 55-200 lenses? Are they both VR models? If they are, then $900 is a very good deal. If they are the old non-VR models, then it's not.

Be careful about where you buy it. A lof of NYC camera shops have shady business practices. B&H, Adorama, and Amazon (be careful where you're actually buying from because you may not be buying it from Amazon, but rather, one of their marketplace sellers) are usually good. I've also had success with Cameta Camera and 17th Street Photo.

RWIndiana

How about the Sigma 28-70 and 70-300 lenses? Are they good? I'm starting to sense that the lens is actually the important part on a D-SLR. :) Unfortunately I know little about lenses, so I try to read reviews. But I'm not sure if Sigma could refer to more than one type.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
How about the Sigma 28-70 and 70-300 lenses? Are they good? I'm starting to sense that the lens is actually the important part on a D-SLR. :) Unfortunately I know little about lenses, so I try to read reviews. But I'm not sure if Sigma could refer to more than one type.

Which 28-70 and which 70-300?

The Sigma 70-300 non-APO is not a good lens and I wouldn't recommend it. Same with those cheap 70-300 Canon and Nikon zooms that they sell at Best Buy. The cheapest decent 70-300 is the Sigma 70-300 APO. Ideally, you would get a 70-300 with VR or IS (image stabilization), as you will need it at long focal lengths, but it is more expensive.

The Sigma 28-70/2.8 is decent, but you can get the sharper Sigma 24-60/2.8 with a better focal length range for less when it's on sale from Amazon's marketplace (Cameta Camera) for close to $200. At that price, it's an excellent deal. But for the main lens, i would get a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8 HSM instead. The Tamron is a little sharper wide-open, but the AF motor is a little noisier. The HSM version of the Sigma has quiet AF.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Keep in mind that if you are getting a Nikon D60 that you must buy lenses that have built-in AF motors with the D40-D60 Nikons. The D40-D60 do not have the AF motors built-in to the camera body. And those lenses you mentioned don't have AF motors built-in.

Tamron just announced new versions of their lenses that will work with the Nikon D40-D60 at http://www.tamron.com/news/35mm/three_bim_pma08.asp/.

Sigma HSM lenses have always worked with the Nikons. Their 18-50/2.8 HSM is a classic choice.

Try Sigma4Less.com as a good place to get Sigma lenses for cheap. They are fairly reliable from what I've heard, although they ding you on the shipping cost.

RWIndiana

I'm thinking of the "Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II" (not sure what all that means) since it has a large range and would work great for me for a single lens (I think). But since it is upwards of $500 on ebay I think I will have to wait on it for a while. I'm really glad you know about this stuff e_dawg. :)

DD, I think you may be right. lol

e_dawg

Storage Freak
You can get the Sigma 18-200/OS HSM for $410 from Sigma4Less.com instead of the Nikon 18-200, which would usually be $650-700 new. IMO, it's 90% as good as the Nikon for 60% of the cost. Optically, it is just as good -- maybe even a bit better at the long end. However, Nikon's VR II is a bit more effective than Sigma's OS and its AF motor is a bit faster and quieter.

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;...+Lens+for+Nikon+Digital+SLR+=28SG18200OSNI=29

Corvair

...or you could go dirt cheap:

http://www.mrpinhole.com/

dig.jpg