Digital cameras?? Best company track record?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm considering a digital camera for taking pictures of my kids, and their work.

My question is, what cameras, and companies, have a good track record for software, and system compatibility?

I can't help but think about my 1200 dollar Nikon scanner, that has no updates past windows 98, and Mac os 8.5.

Scanner works, but I almost need a dedicated old computer to use it.

I'm after a setup that works for both mac and PC, and, with os 9.2 and Windows 2000.

Thanks

gs

PS: forefront in consideration are Cannon, and Pentax.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like Canon and Nikon, personally. Canon most of all. The little digital Elphs are great point and shoot cameras and the G series are, well, the cameras I've chosen to purchase for myself.

I place compactflash support very high on my list of requirements as well as support for a Lithium Ion battery.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Canon software is not very good and the licensing policies are rather Draconian in that the original media may be needed for installing a downloaded update. However, a camera is not like your Coolscan in that it is not necessary to use the manufacturer-supplied software. BreezeBrowser, YarcPlus, Capture 1, and Photoshop CS, etc. all support various cameras and file conversion formats. Buying one of the most popular cameras would probably ensure longest support.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
While I'm not super-fond of the bundled software, I'll toss another vote for Canon. I've had a PowerShot G1 for some time now. It gives you enough manual controls to fiddle with adjustments if you're the type who wants to but the results from 'auto' are actually pretty darn good by themselves. I coupled it with a 1GB microdrive which enables me to take over 1100 photos before needing to download. Great for vacations.

Also, you can use pretty much any software with any camera as long as the camera uses removable storage; just pop out the memory device and use a reader to transfer the photos to your PC.

You might want to hit http://www.dpreview.com for some additional reading.

Radboy

What is this storage?
My professional camera people say "there's no substiture for glass" (the lens). Canon is a camera company. They make nice glass. I have the G2. Very happy with it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Canon Digital Eos 300D???

Canon Digital Eos 300D???

I like SLR's. My mother always bought, and I always borrowed, Nikon SLR's.

I currently have a regular Canon Eos.

What do you all think of the new camera, and are the lenses compatible?

What are the hidden costs for a Digital camera? Memory chips? How much, recommendations???

Thanks

gs

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Basically, if you want a good camera, go with a camera company. If you want something easy to use, then you'd better hit up a consumer electronics company.

I have an older Olympus. It's a good camera, but not easy to use. And the software sucks the big one. Luckily, when I hook it up to the computer, it just looks like a removal drive.

LunarMist

Greg:

You can use the previous EOS lenses on a digital Rebel with a few exceptions. The 10D has more capabilities if you are beyond the beginner stage. It has a similar sensor. Keep in mind the 1.6x crop factor which narrows the view of wideangle lenses. A lens in the 16-18mm range is good for scenics.

A typical user should have three 512MB CF cards. Avoid Microdrives. If you travel then a notebook with a USB 2.0 or Firewire CF reader and CD burner are helpful. Otherwise, use a storage unit such as the Image Tank, X's Box, NixVue, etc., to download files.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I noticed there is now a CardBus CF adapter available from Delkin, speeds of over 4MB/sec using a Microdrive, as opposed to the piss poor 1MB/sec using a standard PCMCIA adaptor. Faster than Firewire too. Perfect for laptop users. Also there is now a CF adator for the 3rd gen iPods, tho expensive and bulky at $99. Useful if you already have an iPod I guess.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03102103delkincardbustest.asp

Mercutio

If the iPod unit is the one from Belkin, in tops out at 400kb/sec over firewire. There was something about it on Slashdot last week.

One of my students had a digital rebel. He took exchanged it for the 10D. I think he was annoyed that the Rebel didn't support (?)external light sources(?). I guess it says a lot that a hardcore camera geek can find something like that to complain about - he was satisifed with image quality.

For digital camera use, one of these looks just about perfect. Limited MP3 playback but who cares? I like the idea of just feeding my cards into a hard disk anyway.

Lunar, do you actually use Canon's software for anything? I don't think I've ever done anything but pull the card out and stick it in a flash reader.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess the Canon software would be of use if you shot in RAW and wanted to convert it into something else.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
we dont use the cannon software... what could be easier than just sticking in the media like a floppy and pulling it off to the HDD for permanent storage? USe thumbnail view if you want to label the pictures, folders to organize...

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Regarding using readers, up until recently, we hooked up the camera to the PC instead of using a reader. My reasoning was that with 1GB of capacity, we never actually filled the microdrive and as such there was never any reason to pull the unit out of the camera. We just left it in all the time. We kept the camera charger by the PC as well so we would recharge while downloading, etc.

But the latest rev of the Canon software, while it added some flexibility, revamped the UI into a mess. So until I can find my original disks and back-level our install I'm using a reader.

Oh, I'll toss in that Canon does release firmware updates for their cameras. I don't know about other vendors.

Mercutio

Speaking of, does anyone out there have a recommendation for a 3.5" internal reader? Preferably something with a couple front USB ports? And no moronic "route the cable from one of the ports on the back, through the interior of the case and then to the reader" cabling?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
My Soyo motherboard came with a reader with two USB ports, CF, and SM. I know that they retail this setup and other similar ones.

Radboy

What is this storage?
If you go with Canon, you get to use BreezeBrowser:

http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/

(not every Canon camera is supported)

Personally, I don't care for the software that comes with Canon cameras.

BreezeBrowser allows you to creates web pages, thumnails and all with a single click:

http://radified.com/Yosemite/cathedral_lakes/2003/

If you've ever spent an afternoon doing this by hand, you know how cool this feature is.

BTW - I don't use card reader. I simply plug my G2 directly into a special USB cable (from Canon .. US$10).

I have a 256-MB compact flash card, which is enough for hundreds of photos. This way to card never (rarely?) comes out of the camera. Less chance of breaking one of the connectors.

LunarMist

Mercutio said:
Lunar, do you actually use Canon's software for anything? I don't think I've ever done anything but pull the card out and stick it in a flash reader.

I use the ES-E1 software/dedicated USB cable to download shooting data from EOS 1V HS film cameras and set the personal functions. (They should not be confused with custom functions set on the camera.) I initially used the Canon software to program the personal functions on each of my EOS 1Ds bodies. I think that can be done with BB as well. I do not know which if any functions on the 10D must be set with a computer.

I don't even travel with a Firewire cable anymore. It is much more efficient to use a $25 USB 2.0 compact flash adapter than waste time and battery charge using the camera body as a reader. I have been searching for a decent Cardbus adapter since day one, so am very glad to see the one Pradeep mentioned. It will live in my notebook's Cardbus slot. :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, I just priced everything, and I'm not jazzed. 900 for the camera, 339 for the memory, 1 gig, add another 100 for the card reader. Only saving grace is my Rebel zoom is multiplied by 1.5, which works for me.

That beyond stretches my budget :cry:

gs

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
1GB of RAM is a bit much, I'd say 256MB is more than enough for most people with a 3-4Mpixel camera as long as you have access to a computer to offload your files to a HDD.

It's one place where you can save some money...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Canon Eos is a 6mb pixel camera.

I know myself. I'd buy one for 500 bucks, be disgusted, and then be out the 500 bucks, and the balance for the new camera.

Apparently the Canon eats memory, and it's expensive, high speed memory as well.

The guy at the store said Canon is now only making the Digital Eos, discontinuing their higher priced slr, and concentrating on the new model.

gs

e_dawg

Storage Freak
You don't have to shoot a 6 MP, ya know. Have you considered a digital point & shoot instead of an dSLR so as to be more wallet-friendly? Again, Canon is a leader here with their PowerShot S45 and G3. The PowerShot S50 is not appreciably better than the S45, so if the choice would be between the S45 and G3, skipping over the S50 completely. An alternative to the two Canons would be the wonderful Sony DSC-V1, but unfortunately, the Sony is more proprietary with their MemorySticks instead of the standard CompactFlash.

Excellent websites for digicams:

http://www.imaging-resource.com

http://www.dpreview.com

http://www.megapixel.net

e_dawg

Storage Freak
"You don't have to shoot AT 6 MP, ya know" is what I meant. If you shoot at 3 MP, which generates reasonable file sizes and still contains enough pixels for excellent quality up to 5x7 and decent quality up to 8x10.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sony mvc-fd51?
That's what the school has, and it works just fine, printing to a floppy, that both mac and pc can see.

Plus, the price is right. I borrow, and take pics of the kids work.

Canon later, after Christmas.

gs

Handruin

Administrator
I have the Sony DSC F707 and I'm very happy with this camera. If you want some example images, let me know. I'm by no means good at taking images, but this camera does a decent job for not being an SLR.

The DSC F717 has come down in price because the new F828 is coming out soon (or may be available now, not sure).

edit: Removed hot link from dpreview.com

Handruin

Administrator
I was trying to post a picture of the camera itself, not of a photo by the camera.

:rofl:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Why does the system show you edited the post but in the FP thread it did not do it for me? Admin?

Handruin

Administrator
I believe the forum will only show an edit message if another member has posted prior to you editing the message.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:
Well, I just priced everything, and I'm not jazzed. 900 for the camera, 339 for the memory, 1 gig, add another 100 for the card reader. Only saving grace is my Rebel zoom is multiplied by 1.5, which works for me.

That beyond stretches my budget :cry:

gs

$339 for a GB of CF? Even the 1GB Microdrives are less than $250 nowadays. I don't think the 300D/10D use the fastest memory cards at their full potential, at least compared to the write speeds of the 10Ds etc. I'm going to stick with my trusty Nikon Coolpix 995 until Canon brings full frame sensors down to prices mere mortals can afford. I prefer the wide end of things rather than massive telephoto.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Also don't forget the price of a good printer, unless you will only view your images on screen. With 6+MP, a good A3 print is possible. I'm leaning towards a Canon i9100, tho there are some very interesting Epsons out in Japan (which may never come to the US).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Santilli said:
Well, I just priced everything, and I'm not jazzed. 900 for the camera, 339 for the memory, 1 gig, add another 100 for the card reader.
I'll add to Pradeep's comments about price and mention that a reader shouldn't cost more than just a few $. A few months ago I got a Dazzle 6-in-1 for $8 shipped after rebate. $28 before. It's not USB2 but for the price it's great.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I got a USB2 CF card reader for like $15 last year. I got one of those 7 in 1 USB2 readers for about the same a couple months ago.

Remember Santilli you don't have to spend a fortune to get good equipment that works.

Handruin

Administrator
blakerwry said:

I'll have to dig up the link, but someone makes one that size which also includes the floppy drive. I was going to buy it, but my antec case has the panel covering the floppy drive. It would cover all the media slots, so in order to use it, I would have to move it to the bay above....I may still buy it if I can find the link.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I bid on ebay for a sony, but I'm glad I was just outbid.

I really like my Canon, and it's lense. Buying a digital body, with high resolution, and being able to use a 1.5 multiplier on the lense, and, being able to do serious, high density, large pictures, sounds like a dream.

I think I'll wait till after Xmas, and buy a Canon Eos, digital..;

gs

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Handruin said:
blakerwry said:

I'll have to dig up the link, but someone makes one that size which also includes the floppy drive. I was going to buy it, but my antec case has the panel covering the floppy drive. It would cover all the media slots, so in order to use it, I would have to move it to the bay above....I may still buy it if I can find the link.

http://store.yahoo.com/extremepcgear/mi7usbflflme.html

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Has anyone used a digital camera with casing for underwater photography? I'm thinking about buying a canon, say A70, and getting the case for it. A bit worried about the lack of option for external flash.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'd never take my camera under salt water.. maybe freshwater...

for underwater photography I use one of those disposible cameras.. I can get the "prints" in digital if I want or just scan the real prints later.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
I'd never take my camera under salt water.. maybe freshwater...

for underwater photography I use one of those disposible cameras.. I can get the "prints" in digital if I want or just scan the real prints later.

The good enclosures are completely waterproof so I don't see how salt or fresh water would matter.

Lack of external flash could be a prob, but generally the enclosures with external flash pods cost a small fortune anyway. Perhaps a couple of bright hand held lights?