Digital cameras?? Best company track record?

HeddaLora

What is this storage?
I guess it depends on what you want it for. My husband and I got a cheapie Hewlett Packard "Photo Smart C200" camera a few years ago, and we love it. It's completely sufficient for taking pics of the family, etc.

Hedda Lora

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hi HeddaLora. Welcome to our little group.

The C200 is a 1MP point-and-shoot job. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done, especially if the job is taking photos that'll wind up on line. I've played with them, but the one thing I thought as I did was, "shouldn't this thing be a little cheaper?" I think those guys were going for around $150 last xmastime.

Santilli, though, is the kind of guy who isn't going to be happy unless he gets the best-possible tech specs he can find, which is why he'll probably be parading around with a Canon digital SLR as soon as he can afford it.

For folks who don't need as much, or maybe just like the thrill of a little bargain, I saw this a few days ago. $30 for a 1.3MP camera? Sounds like a fun way to spend a couple hours to me!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, that and I did found, and head, our high school photopgraphy club, and, we've always had SLR's in the family since I was in grade school.

My mother used to buy Nikon's, and I still like them, though it seems Canon has surpassed them, at this point, valuewise, and performance wise.

I've also waited about 3 years for slr's to become affordable. I've got a Canon Eos, and that is a real bargain, at under 300 dollars.

I have been using the schools sony to take pics of the kids, since film is just too expensive for that kind of stuff, unless I set up a black and white lab.

gs

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have the Canon lense. But, need a decent memory card, reader, etc.

Total investment is in the 1300-1500 dollar range, in Kalifornia.
Arnold: Get rid of sales tax.

gs

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
For my notebook, I bought a PCMCIA CF card reader. I love it - no cable to buggerse about with. (You have no idea how much of a pain cables are: 240v inverter, two camera battery chargers, external trackball (cuz touchpadz suck so much), mobile phone charger, notebook charger, powerboard to plug al the chargers into, extension chord .....

Trust me, if you have a notebook, you want the PCMCIA flash reader.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
It seems to me that it wasn't so long ago that some little monkey didn't mind boiling a pot of tea while downloading photos via cables. Seems to me that this little monkey also stated they bought a CF reader just to please some folks around here. :D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Seems to me that the USB2 card reader was darn near as slow anyway, but at least it saved me worrying about breaking something in the tiny little cable connector. :) The PCMCIA one came along later.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Tannin said:
Seems to me that the USB2 card reader was darn near as slow anyway, but at least it saved me worrying about breaking something in the tiny little cable connector. :) The PCMCIA one came along later.

There may be something wrong with your setup because a USB 2.0 or firewire CF reader should be much faster than a PCMCIA card and does not suffer from the high CPU utilization. It takes me a little over 4 minutes to transfer a full 2GB card with either a USB 2.0 or firewire reader vs. around 27 minutes with PCMCIA adapter. :( I tried several notebooks and a couple of brands of equally slow PCMCIA adapters. There is now a Delkin Cardbus 32 CF adapter which contains a real controller.

Tony, if you need a copilot for another similar venture, let me know. :mrgrn: I could lend you my spare 1Ds and about 4 backup L lenses. I'll take care of Tea too, if she does not bite fingers too hard. ;)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'm still looking for Tea. Thinking back, I don't think I've seen her since ... um ... northern New South Wales, I think it was. Or possibly southern Queensland. That was ... er ... about seven weeks ago.

Has anyone seen a wandering Orangutan?

Oh, now hang on, I remember now, it was in Goondawindi. We stopped for the night and in the morning I wanted to go north and she wanted to head for the coast. Something do do with wanting to see banana trees, apparently. Anyway, the little blue car and I headed towards Kingaroy, and she set off eastwards on foot.

At least I think that was what happened. I had a headache that morning and got a bit vague. Something to do with Tea sharing her bottle of gin with me the night before, no doubt.

Oh yes. Later on I ran into her again up near Mareeba somewhere. (This was about two weeks later.) Said she had got tired of bananas and was planning a new career as a mango picker. I can't imagine who would employ her though: for every one she picks, she eats three. Apparently that was what led to her demise on the banana plantation.

I said we were going to the Territory to see some desert birds, and she simply refused to leave. Said there were no bananas or mangos in the Northern Territory, so who go there? Climbed a tree and sat up in the crown of it, spitting mango pips at me.

Maybe it was something I said.

Oh, and about the camera, Lunar Mist, I daresay you are right. If I recall correctly, at the time I bought the USB 2 card reader, we were still waiting for the appropriate W2K service pack and I only had USB 1 ports functional.

If someone wants a computer shop, I'm available to leave with you any time, starting from Saturday. (Or this afternoon, if you are really keen.) What about Western Australia? We could start with the Nullabor and carry on up the coast to Broome, then come back via inland Queensland, which is as outback as the outback ever gets.

We might as well, life at the shop is not going to be the same without Tea anyway.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What the bloody hell are we going to do without Tea?

I swear, the women in my life always desert me. grumble grumble grumble grumble

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
... life at the shop is not going to be the same without Tea anyway.
Serves you right. Didn't you try to find Tea on your way back? Just let the little one go off even though she didn't know better? Just left her in the tree and left there by yourself? SHAME ON YOU!!