Disappearing Drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The Y drive is disappearing occasionally for no reason. I don't find the cable pro and the SSD is not showing any SMART drive errors. The temp has always been displayed as 128°C, but I assume that is a reporting error as it is running cool.

LunarMist

When it goes out the computer Locks up sometimes,and it does reappear on h#rd reboot. My be the drive is dying, but it's odd. There are no delayed write errors either.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Did you check on the manufacturer's website if a firmware update is available? For instance, I know Time would have been fucked if he didn't apply the firmware update on the Crucial M4 SSDs he sold last year when the POH limit issue has been made public by Micron.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It sounds like a Sandforce drive. My experiences with Corsair Sandforce have been much the same as your symptoms and unfortunately there were no SMART errors.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It really does sound like the earlier Sandforce drive problems. I'd check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your specific drive.

LunarMist

Yes, it is an early Sand**** 2200. The drive is only 120GB so filling with tubers and then trashing it is the best option. Thanks.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Check for a firmware first! Why trash it if there's a way to fix the problem? Beside, why trash it at all. Just secure erase it if you no longer want it and sell/give it to someone else. SSD aren't like mecanical drives. After a secure erase, old data cannot be restored. Trashing it is a waste.

Last edited: