Disk Controllers with 3TB support

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I thought ZFS was dog-slow on anything else than Solaris/Open Indiana. Chewy must have written about this sometime in the last few years.

FreeBSD: recent benchmarks place it equal with Solaris/OpenIndiana, a lot of work has been done in FreeBSD 10 improving it's performance.
Linux (FUSE): works, but is slow (unless you have lots and lots of RAM).
Linux (kernel mode driver): Close to same as FreeBSD, but slightly slower due to translation layer (between what Linux expects and Solaris expects). If you're using this, then most say it's performance is equal to Solaris in day to day usage, and admittedly most higher level benchmarks agree.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Can't I thin-provision and continue to add devices into it over time assuming each device is of the same size/type?

When I started using it, I set up what I thought would be a HUGE storage pool. And then I actually filled it to the provisioned size. And then it was a pain in my butt.

Handruin

Administrator
When I started using it, I set up what I thought would be a HUGE storage pool. And then I actually filled it to the provisioned size. And then it was a pain in my butt.

I feel like having to go through the pains you've described could be beneficial as a teaching aid.

The motherboard I got has two additional PCIe slots of which I could put something like a Highpoint rocket 750 if I'm really worried about port density. That's a huge number of disks for a single storage server.

Stereodude

Not really a
FreeBSD: recent benchmarks place it equal with Solaris/OpenIndiana, a lot of work has been done in FreeBSD 10 improving it's performance.
Linux (FUSE): works, but is slow (unless you have lots and lots of RAM).
Linux (kernel mode driver): Close to same as FreeBSD, but slightly slower due to translation layer (between what Linux expects and Solaris expects). If you're using this, then most say it's performance is equal to Solaris in day to day usage, and admittedly most higher level benchmarks agree.
Roughly how many MB/sec are you talking for each of these?

Handruin

Administrator
Roughly how many MB/sec are you talking for each of these?

Those numbers you seek will be based on the number of spindles, the performance of the spindles, the amount of cpu power available, ram, pool configuration, and probably some other factors like ZIL/L2ARC. I can run some benchmarks once I get mine put together if you give me an idea of what you're interested in testing.

I expect to be able to saturate my 1Gb link with my ZFS NAS. I may try teaming the two nice for higher performance.