disk image mac osx4.10

grnsky

What is this storage?
does anyone know where i can learn more about making a disk image of my powerbook HD? I looked at carbon copy cloner but that doesn't seem to compress the image. Is it as simple as using disk utility's disk image function? If I make a compressed image of a 60 gig drive with disk utility about how small would the image end up? why would one use disk images instead of copying the whole system to an external? would it make sense to use both methods for extra backup?

---------
ppc g4 1.2, 512mb, os x4.10

ddrueding

Fixture
Backups vary based on how important your data is and how much of it you have. The size of a disk image has more to do with the amount of data on the drive than the size of the drive itself. If all you are trying to do is backup data, just copy the files. If you want to be able to restore the entire OS and data, create an image.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I am not our mac guy however I am aware that you can copy your data over to an external drive in such a way that that external drive is bootable. If you have enough space on the external drive I would suggest that as the way to go.