Do you have to wear shirt at work?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I ask because I almost never had to in my past jobs. I probably won't escape it in my next job though. I hate shirts. And I also hate to shave. Both combine, they give me a civilised look that I can't stand.

I'm just touting my chances to escape the shirt wrath in the future.

I wonder why people cosider the shirt (and even worst : the tie) a "respectable" clothing style. Heck, Lennin, Hitler and now Georges Bush Jr. dressed like that. I would rather look like something else than a tyran.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
By shirt you mean something that has buttons down the front and perhaps on the sleeves, correct.

Not "shirt" as in "covering for the torso"?

I wear polo-style shirts or long-sleeve T-shirts when I'm working. I wouldn't accept anything else. Anything I have to iron or launder in a special way falls into the "way too much work" category.

I can tie a bowtie, but not a necktie. Needless to say, I don't wear either.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
As long as you don't have to wear a tie(or even worse a suit and tie) as well it can't be too bad. I could never work a job where I had to wear a tie. It feels like my neck is in a sling. I can't function like that, period.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
By shirt you mean something that has buttons down the front and perhaps on the sleeves, correct.
Yes, why? Is there another name for that cloth?

Mercutio said:
Not "shirt" as in "covering for the torso"?
I'm not talking about a T-shirt (that's what I always wear). Just a thing with nasty evil buttons and useless protuberances around the neck, that's never fit around the belly so that people with a strong chest-to-waist ratio cannot wear it without looking foolish. Shirts are for fat people. I'm starting to believe it's a conspiracy by the overweighted managers to look better than their employees who actually still work hard enough to remain fit.

Mercutio

I think the issue in question is that button-down shirts (that's what I always call them, anyway), ensure a certain minimal standard of presentability for everyone.

I wouldn't care if the 6' blonde in my office wore a skintight miniskirt but because I'm absolutely certain I don't want to see anyone else in my office in one, I'm glad there's a specific prohibition against miniskirts where I'm working.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Only thing I can think of to say in favour of shirts is that, if you are going out for a little drinkie or something and you want to match your handbag and your shoes, its easier to change your shirt than it is to dye your fur.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't need to wear button shirts to work. I wore an Old Navy T-Shirt today with a pair of jeans. Sometimes I like to wear button shirts because they are comfortable and also because I like to look nicer than usual. I have no one to impress so I do it for my own reasons.

I figured out how to tie a necktie for those rare occasions where weddings and funerals are required. Other than that I don't wear one.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Where I work is 'business casual' which for us means collared shirts, better-than-jeans, no sneakers. For me, a polo shirt, khakis, and deck shoes are fairly typical. I don't mind regular button-down shirts and wear them regularly as well with a decent pair of slacks & dress shoes.

I haven't worn a necktie for a business function since I last interviewed (about 5 years ago).

It's my opinion that a persons performance is unrelated to their manner of dress.

I can tie a necktie, but I don't quite do it the right way so it's always just a little crooked.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Howell said:
I go to work bare-chested. It impresses the chicks ... and the boilermakers and machinists.
Now that's a little broad even by my standards. I would never go to work bare-chested since, besides maybe impressing the chicks (can't believe you call your women like this), it would more than likely humiliate my co-workers ;-)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Howell said:
I go to work bare-chested. It impresses the chicks ... and the boilermakers and machinists.
Now that's a little broad even by my standards. I would never go to work bare-chested since, besides maybe impressing the chicks (can't believe you call your women like this), it would more than likely humiliate my co-workers ;-)

You're preaching to the choir, brother. I've never seen so many grown men weeping as the day I strolled through the fabrication floor. They won't let me back out there anymore as it kills production for the rest of the day.

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
Mix of flannel shirts and polo shirts for winter, lighter shirts for summer. Work gives most of the polo shirts I wear, so it doesn't cost me much for a wardrobe. Hiking boots or sneakers most days, or lab shoes if I'm in the lab. The only folks that wear ties are visiting suppliers, or interviewees. (Thank God!) :mrgrn:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I always wear a shirt with buttons, whether at home or at work, on any continent... I especially like shirts with two pockets to hold my pens, etc.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I've never HAD to wear a button shirt, except for occasions with customers when a suit is in order.

But I still wear one every day, just to be semi businesslike in case a customer/partner/good looking chic walks in the door. ;)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i have to admit the topic's title thew me for a loop.... I usually wear business casual. Sometimes i dress up just for myself. Coug, I have the same problem with chest to waist ratio, but I think it's getting better now that I'm a little skinier... 42" chest and 28" waist just dont work in a button down shirt. I think that most button down shirts *are* made for people with a bigger belly. I usually try to find "athletic cut" button down shirts when I shop.

Mercutio

Howell said:

You're preaching to the choir, brother. I've never seen so many grown men weeping as the day I strolled through the fabrication floor. They won't let me back out there anymore as it kills production for the rest of the day.

It's just that they'd never seen a pair of boobs that big before, Howell. You really ought to stap those things down or something. :D

GMac

I'm like Lunar in that I like a button-up shirt with pockets for my pens, name badge and other bits & pieces. We don't have to wear a tie though, which is good as I don't like wearing them either :mrgrn:

GM

adriel

Oh, you better standby to standby. This is how squared I need to be each day at work at my IT job:

Mornings: shirt smartly ironed, creased, starched. Shoes shined. Belt buckle aligned with pants and shirt tab. Pants ironed, creased. Sideburns. Shave. Haircut. Proper posture. No items in pants pockets ("gear drift").

In the evenings I put on the prescribed winter uniform. It consists of a black tie, black slacks, black shirt, dress shoes, and the proper hat. The shirt is scratchy since it's wool.

But not only must I be in proper attire for work, the room where I sleep must be squared away as well. An unsat room inspection*=I standby for consequences and reprecussions.

*water moisture found in sinks, or food in non-sealed containers found in the fridge, or dust, or dirty bathtub, or trash found in trashcans, or beds not made properly (blanket folded nabisco style, sheets corners folded at 45 degree angles, and more) or windows unsecured, or floor not vacuumed, or toilet base dirty, or unauthorized appliances, or lock unlocked, etc.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
adriel said:
But not only must I be in proper attire for work, the room where I sleep must be squared away as well. An unsat room inspection*=I standby for consequences and reprecussions.
Ah, I see...you're married.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
adriel said:
Ah, I see...you're married.

Married to the military at least. Thanks adriel.

adriel

But it extends to the work building as well. We clean it 30 minutes prior to departure. I used to mop the 2nd floor, but now I'm in charge of a small team that sweeps and dusts two stairwells (handrails, kickplates, lights, window ledges, doors, floors) prior to leaving work.

adriel

Mercutio said:
adriel has pockets in his pants but he's not allowed to use them?

Items bulge out from pockets and detracts from a professional appearance. It used to be, at my prior workarea a month ago, no items were allowed in pockets at all, other than medical paperwork carried in the front right pocket. Today where I am, apparently items are allowed, as long as it does not break the shape of the uniform. However, at the start of each workday once we enter the IT building and drop our outergarments off inside the work room, we stand for a personnel inspection. You wouldn't want to be caught all jacked up--no items in pockets for the personnel inspection.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I don't care much for storing things in my pockets, besides the odd couple of dollars. If I ever get change, I empty it out of my pocket the first chance I get and I don't keep my keys in any of my pockets, they're too uncomfortable.