Do your CRT's make noise in the middle of the night?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Something that I've been wondering about for several years is why CRT devices seem to make an aweful creaking/cracking type noise in the middle of the night (sounds like the devices plastic casing is being stretched or put through torsional stresses). Static discharge and Yoke shift?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never heard a CRT make anything other than when it was warming up and cooling off. Mostly, aforementioned exapansion and contraction of parts.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
My old Sony used to make creaking noises as well. Then it started to make a short buzzing noise when I booted my computer. Then one day, while I was writing an important report, my Sony CRT monitor just gave a loud "Pop" sound and it died :excl:

Cheers,
Edward

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
No noise from my CRT monitor but my 35" TV's chassis once in a while gives a nice crack/pop sound. Definitely sounds like thermal expansion.contraction. The wierd thing is that it'll even happen after the set's been on for hours and everything should have been fully warmed up for some time. The TV is maybe 7 or 8 years old.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thermal expansion and contraction sounds very logical (and quite possibly accounts for the majority of cases), but I note that this can occur even when a CRT/monitor hasn't been used in days and is in a stable thermal environment. Unless the plastic housings are particularly sensitive to minute temperature changes, I think there may be other contributary forces at work. My TV is a indeed a very good offender, and example of this phenomenon occuring in idle devices.

I guess its time to bust out the old physics books and look up the modulli of thermal expansion for common polymers and do some calculations .... then again, maybe not :p .

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's the butterfly effect. Two pieces of plastic, for example, shrink against one another in a stressed position (like an earthquake fault). They sit there quietly until conditions change just subtely enough for them to move against each other, making a nice snap sound.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Yes, but nuder the full volume Klipsch speakers, my wine glass moves, who knows what the CRT sounds like????
s