Does anyone read the freakin' news on SF's frontpage?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I was wondering... I don't see anyone ever commenting on the news out there and the actual reads are pretty few as well(most of the times less than even 5)... :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, I read it. Probably every other visit (which still means several times a day for me).

Comment? Just once in my case, I think. I will if there's something really compelling. Wish the forunpage forum was integrated with this one somehow, though. :|

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yeah Merc-man.
Wish that too...

I just don't want the news section to go wasted, that's all. OK if someone doesn't comment, but at least please do read them!!
(I know, a "read" is not counted if you don't press the "Read more..." button- which isn't always present- or the "Comments?" button)

Handruin

Administrator
Well, the one at slashdot has started the CMS we see today. I look at slashdot as a big mess of text, but that's my own take on it.

I've gone through the install of post nuke and I have a working demo if anyone cares to check it out:

http://beta.storageforum.net/postnuke/

I don't know where my head was, but I like post nuke better then xoops. Once again it uses its own database authentication and would require separate logins.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I only tried PostNuke today and I admit I like it. Its layout remain more constant than the one of Xoops when you visit it with different browsers (at least with Moz and Opera). But it would be a hell of a job to port everything from Xoops to PostNuke wouldn't it? I don't think everyone wants to re-register once again for the front page.

Let's just say that it would have been nice if we would have chose it at first, but now it's a bit late to think about it.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I only tried PostNuke today and I admit I like it. Its layout remain more constant than the one of Xoops when you visit it with different browsers (at least with Moz and Opera). But it would be a hell of a job to port everything from Xoops to PostNuke wouldn't it? I don't think everyone wants to re-register once again for the front page.

Let's just say that it would have been nice if we would have chose it at first, but now it's a bit late to think about it.

I'm still in search of a postnuke + phpBB2 setup. It does exist, but I'm waiting for further news/development on it. If they can get it to work correctly, we may be able to port the news and links/downloads over to post nuke.

I've also been thinking about this whole CMS (content Management System) setup. I haven't said anything until now, but I would like to develop our own system that doesn't rely on postnuke or any of the other systems.

How much do we use the system?

Of the few that do use it, how hard would it be to build a system that only allows for news to be submitted? We can manually manage the links and downloads.

I just think what we have is severely under used. We need a front page, and the news is nice to have, so why don't we build our own news management and focus more on the forum? I can get the script, which posts a glimpse of the most active threads on the front page. (see www.phpbb.com on their front page)

I have some ideas, but right now I have to finish a few other projects. I would like to discuss this more, as I want to know how other members feel about our site.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yes Coug. Good thinking. I'm thinking that it should be a fairly straightforward task.

An HTML form for submissions with four fields, all required (i.e. all four must be filled in) - headline, body text, username, password.

Then, on approval from the News Admin (that's you) it has to post the news item to the appropriate point on the front page, the headline in the form of a link to it to another point on the page (up near the top somewhere), and finally, it has to post a link to the discussion thread.

How would this last bit work? Provided the news applet is smart enough to record the username and password of the person who submitted the news, and keep that information secure, then when someone (lets say it's a few days later) wants to comment on the news item, it goes to the Computers Forum, and creates a thread with the ... excuse me, Tea seems to think it's her turn. .....

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tannin - that's going to be really difficult and cumbersome. Here's an easier way to do it.

Start with what you said. But when Coug approves a news item, it automatically posts a thread. The thread is in the Computers forum, the title is the same as the news item title, the username and password come straight out of the form that the person submitting the news filled in.

Then the news applet just has to be able to remember these things for the short time that a submitted news item is waiting for Doug's or Coug's approval.

If it's approved, it goes to http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=4 issues the username, issues the password, posts the thread title, posts the the body text.

Simple!

CougTek

Serial computer killer
PeeWee, you should find something else, I don't even have a couch. My bench and my weights take too much place in my living room.

I don't hate the look of bloathdows XP, I only hate the code running it.

Handruin

Administrator
I think neowin wrote thier own news managment system. Does anyone know where I can get their code?

Here are some other options if anyone is interested in looking through them.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/News_Publishing/

This one looks interesting:
easypanel news

The even have a CMS in the works.

I've downloaded the beta version, I'll put it on the beta site in a little while to see how it works.