Does Hydravision work?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
We've been struggling with ATI Hydravision (latest version) on a Sapphire X300SE (i.e. dual monitors).

Tried the 'Full Edition' first. Hydravision Properties didn't work, neither did 'Move to 1/2' to position a window. In fact, the only thing that did work was dragging a window across the desktop until it appeared on the second monitor.

Uninstalled full edition. Installed 'Basic Edition'. Initial success, but then the quirks started. The window settings for one app (Delphi) are repeatedly scrambled - the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) always appears as a postage stamp sized window in the wrong place. Also found that the Windows shutdown dialog *always* appears on the second monitor, no matter how many settings we changed. Too bad if the second monitor isn't on. :(

This really doesn't compare favourably with nVidia's nView. Surely someone else must have better experiences?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I never had a problem with it. Stopped using it some time ago, however, because the functionality that I needed was integrated into the basic drivers.

What are you trying to do?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Using Catalyst, and ATI drivers, but not the Hydra stuff, and, duals are working fine, on both an 700 XL and 800 Xl.

Hope this helps...

s

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't say I've ever needed Hydravision for anything. The basic ATI driver does two monitors just fine on its own.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
I can't say I've ever needed Hydravision for anything. The basic ATI driver does two monitors just fine on its own.
Dido here. I installed Hydravision once just to see what it would do, but that was years ago.

ddrueding

Fixture
For a while I was running 4 monitors and had Hydravision, it did everything I wanted without issue. That was about a year ago.

Handruin

Administrator
I tried UltraMon for a few months and it had one annoyance I should caution others with. I can't confirm with certainty it was UltraMon, but after removing my second monitor, many of my applications had locational issues. What I mean, is if I had last opened an application on the second monitor, the next time I tried opening it with the monitor removed, the application thought it was still on that screens location and I couldn't see it.

I was able to fix only a couple of my applications by altering ini files. I didn't dig much into this since I planned on reformatting in the next month.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, I've got certain apps that do that. My laptop has a second monitor on the docking station at work but I just use the built in LCD at home so every day I switch from dual- to single-monitor viewing. After switching from dual to single, about 80-90% of the apps simply open up on the LCD if they were last closed on the secondary mon. The others open on the secondary mon and I manually move them over by selecting those apps and pressing Alt-Space then M then holding down the left arrow key. Now, I'm in the habit of simply moving things to the primary mon before closing them. Easier.

Java apps are dumb, BTW. If I've got one open on the secondary mon, context-menus always show up on the primary.