Doom 3: Beautiful

SteveC

Storage is cool
It does look nice! Considering that Carmack wants the game engine to be used for the next 5 years, it better be. It'll probably force a lot of people to upgrade video cards though, including myself.

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
Any word on the minimum req. for this game?

No only if we can get DukeNukem forever to get out here! The graphics are going to be so dated...I'll still buy it however...

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Handruin said:
Any word on the minimum req. for this game?

No only if we can get DukeNukem forever to get out here! The graphics are going to be so dated...I'll still buy it however...

The Doom 3 system requirements havent been released from the id Software team at this point but John Carmack has posted some of his ideas about the minimum hardware requirements regarding graphics cards.

"The requirement for GF1/Radeon 7500 as an absolute minimum is fundamental to the way the technology works, and was non-negotiable for the advances that I wanted to make. At the very beginning of development, I worked a bit on elaborate schemes to try and get some level of compatibility with Voodoo / TNT / Rage128 class hardware, but it would have looked like crap, and I decided it wasn't worth it.

The comfortable minimum performance level on this class of hardware is determined by what the artists and level designers produce. It would be possible to carefully craft a DOOM engine game that ran at good speed on an original SDR GF1, but it would cramp the artistic freedom of the designers a lot as they worried more about performance than aesthetics and gameplay.

Our "full impact" platform from the beginning has been targeted at GF3/Xbox level hardware. Slower hardware can disable features, and faster hardware gets higher frame rates and rendering quality. Even at this target, designers need to be more cognizant of performance than they were with Q3, and we expect some licensee to take an even more aggressive performance stance for games shipping in following years."

http://www.geocities.com/doom3_central/requirements.html

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What I really want is DoomI/II remade. From what I understand, DoomIII is more of a Thief/System Shock-type game, with only one or two bad guys on the screen at a time.

That, frankly, leaves me limp. I want the occasional roomful of badguys. The "psychogical" hook will work for a little while, but without the really profane atmosphere and horde of bad guys, I'm not sure it'll be the spookfest the first one was. :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
...but without the really profane atmosphere and horde of bad guys,...
Try Serious Sam if you want to fight legions and legions of enemies. I only played the first one and there are levels with more than 800 opponents to kill. Just too bad the machine gun cannot hold more than 500 ammo.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
I'm not sure it'll be the spookfest the first one was. :(
System Shock (I & II) has been the spookiest game ever, Mercutio. What are you talking about?

Sol

Storage is cool
Doom 3 engine, doom 2 enemie numbers... I see two big numbers in your future CougTek, one of them ends in pollygons, the other starts with $.

Handruin

Administrator
Sol said:
Doom 3 engine, doom 2 enemie numbers... I see two big numbers in your future CougTek, one of them ends in pollygons, the other starts with $.

There is probably more pollygons in one doom 3 character then in the entire last level of doom 2. :)

SteveC

Storage is cool
The alpha was leaked, apparently from ATI. Here's Carmack's statement on Slashdot. It's not too hard to find, but I'd rather wait for the official demo before trying it out.

Steve

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Posts on slashdot also indicate that the alpha hardware requirements are a little bit insane. 10 - 15 fps on an ATI 7500, low detail, around 20 on an 8500 or a GF4 4200 with some of the details turned on/up. 1 fps on a GF2 MX.

Some are asserting that RAM needs to be up over 512MB, too. Ouch.

Handruin

Administrator
I was reading about this a few nights back before it was put on slashdot. I was trying to get a copy out of curiosity. I know the end result will be changed, but I'd like to see how it plays in its current stage.

However, I have plenty of other things I should be doing...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I just played the demo a bit. Sucks that the options and stuff don't work so I can't configure the controls for my use. I played it for about 5 minutes and it still scared the hell out of me!!

Can't wait for this one!

C