Download manager

Kristi

What is this storage?
Any suggestions for a good download manager? In the next day or so, I want to download some large games, & I don't want to see it get most of the way through, then lose it all because I forgot to turn off call waiting on the telephone.

James

Storage is cool
I like Flashget, but I fear it is replete with spyware. That aside, it works well, has an intuitive interface, and isn't nearly as clunky as some others I have tried.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Kristi said:
Any suggestions for a good download manager? In the next day or so, I want to download some large games, & I don't want to see it get most of the way through, then lose it all because I forgot to turn off call waiting on the telephone.

I like Getright. Hardly know it's there. It's biggest feature for me these days, because I'm on broadband, is the ability to download from multiple sites at the same time.

I have tried others. But not recently. Getright is pretty powerful.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Getright is good but keep in mind it has spyware or adware or something of the sort. The bought version doesn't though.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In practice, I've found Opera's inbuilt download manager as effective as anything else. Apart from full monitoring, you can suspend or resume an interrupted download, which is usually what you really want from a download manager.

When confronted with truly awful download speeds and truncations, nothing else I've tried works any better. But maybe that's just my luck. :(

I'm beginning to sound like an Opera salesman. Oh well. :roll:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
wget on a linux box can resume downloads.
IIRC, the downloading doohickey that comes with Mozilla does, too.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I use Lightning Download (apparently related to Get Right but without all the spyware crap. 30 day shareware). Of course on a modem, the only really useful thing is the resume download feature lol.

Sol

Storage is cool
Probably any manager will be as good as any other on dialup (bar spy/ad-ware considerations), I have had issues with the opera manager where files are corrupted during download more often than with other managers, but it's pretty rare. Still you don't want to be doing files over on dialup.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My other (linux-based) suggestion would be the wonderful little gem pavuk, which is basically a site-downloader on steroids, that attacks downloads with a tenacity that I can't recall seeing anywhere else.

I downloaded MS's trial version of SQL Server 7 with pavuk. It sustained a .01k/sec speed (I *WAS* using my internet connection, after all) for three weeks and who knows how many disconnections, but it got all parts in perfect working order.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
NRG = mc² said:
Getright is good but keep in mind it has spyware or adware or something of the sort. The bought version doesn't though.

GetRight Ad History

GetRight 4.0 to 4.2c used the Radiate (formerly Aureate Media) advertising system to show banner advertisements while you are trying out the GetRight program. If you're still using 4.0 to 4.2c, please do upgrade or use the ad-file- remover to get rid of the advertising files.

GetRight 4.3 (released Sept 13, 2000) and higher are no longer using Radiate/Aureate and for a time used the Conducent advertising system (but Conducent is now out of business). If using 4.3 you can use the ad-file-remover to get rid of the advertising files.

A later 4.3 release (rebuilt April 19, 2001) and the release of 4.5 did not include any third party banner advertising DLLs. If GetRight showed any ads, it used an embedded Internet Explorer control--this worked pretty much the same as ads on a web page.

GetRight 4.5 (July 9, 2001) allowed you to choose "Shareware" mode so no ads are shown at all--and Shareware actually was the default.

GetRight 4.5a (released Oct 1, 2001): The release of GetRight 4.5a no longer even has a choice for Adware anymore. Just "Shareware".

***So, the most current releases of GetRight do not contain Radiate or Conducent advertising systems.***

http://www.getright.com/aureate.html