Drive Failure?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think one hard drive is dying because the computer is locking up frequently. :crap: It is a terrible situation. The problem is that I have too many drives. How can I easily determine where the defect is without testing each drive individually?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This time, you have to.

In the future, it might be useful to number your SATA cables so they correspond to the ordinal number of the port as it's reported by Windows. Yes, this means testing the drives one at a time regardless.

Handruin

Administrator
If a drive is failing, you can some times see this in the windows event log for access issue and delay write failures, etc. That might help you to pinpoint the device.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is you motherboard ability to report SMART messages turned on? Sometimes that isn't the default.

LunarMist

I don't know if the motherboard controls the hard drives. I suppose the drives may happen to be connected to the motherboard or they could be on one of three add-in controllers. Does an old OS like XP or XP64 support SMART?

Handruin

Administrator
I remember seeing Smart Data under XP 32 bit. I never used the 64 bit red headed step child of an OS. You may have to enable some of it on the motherboard or controller like MaxBurn suggested.

You can see smart data in a tool like Argus Monitor. They have a breakdown of the code numbers here.

LunarMist

Oh crap, it is one of the 2TB drives. :blue: The error is that the device "disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal." Is that possibly a power supply or connector problem?

LunarMist

It is very strange. One of two (not sure which) WD20EADS drives is producing the error, but the problem does not occur when a 7K2000 is disconnected.

LunarMist

I don't think that the Intel is involved. One drive is on an Adaptec and the other on some other controller. I moved them around as well as the cables and it locked up again. Now I have removed 3 drives and switched them around. I'm planning to reformat each drive and then run a test in another computer. Does each brand need its own software for an in-depth test? IIRC WD has a data lifeguard test and Hitachi has a drive fitness test. How many hours are required for 2TB drives?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I like spinrite for tests like that but it seems it only works correctly in reading SMART data in IDE mode, tool is a little old. It said it was going to take 90+ hours to go through the 2TB seagates I just got but in my experience if the drive is bad it will show up much sooner like immediately or in an hour.

Other than that I would just go with each tool provided from manufacturers, aren't they bootable ISO's?

LunarMist

I hope not. The bootable kind usually don't like non-ICH ports.

LunarMist

The Hitachi bootable DFT disk is not supporting a USB keyboard and mouse. WTF?

LunarMist

:erm: USB KB and mouse were disabled in the BIOS. I was using PS/2 until getting that new setup a few weeks ago.

LunarMist

Fine, except that the Hitachi drives are deep in the bowels of the other computer. ;)
Now the WD drive is under test in Windows on that system, so I have to wait for it to finish. Only 02:05:48 to go...

LunarMist

:lol: I must return to work on Tuesday. 51% finished now.

ddrueding

Fixture
I would also point out that this is a lot easier if all your drives are in hot-swappable enclosures. Of course, even in my more extreme cases, rarely do things happen often enough to warrant the added expense.

LunarMist

Sure, if I had a server room. :)
There is only one removable, trayless bay in each computer. There is also a 2-drive "toaster" connected to one for temporary/backup use, and a 1-drive version for the other computer. The other drives are internal. I really should upgrade my 8-year old case with funky drive access, but that is another story.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually really like the toasters. I have a pair of 2-drive units hooked up to my file server for quick, unscheduled, off-site backups (audits, recovery to another location, etc). I also have one on my desktop to read from people's laptop drives, etc.

LunarMist

I tried every test in the utility, including zero fill, and the WD is fine.

ddrueding

Fixture
Then I would check your cabling, including both data and power. I had the data cable to a raid card go out a few days ago. It was causing a drive to fair every couple days. Replace the drive, new drive fails in 4 days....bah.

LunarMist

I've moved everything around so much, I don't know what was what. Now I have 3 of the Hibachi 2TB drives in there. Two are used as a pair, which I usually avoid.

Last edited:

LunarMist

The drives are all still fine now. I have no idea what the problem was - maybe a loose connection?