Drive letter problem

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Help!!!

I was all set fine. My laptop drive was partitioned to C, blank and E, with my burner being F. Blank was a Truecrypt encrypted drive that became D when I mounted it. Life was good.

Then company IT gave me a Roxio Easy CD DVD Creator 6 Basic CD to install a burner (I know, I know, kill me and put me out of my misery). I selected custom install; everything was selected, I read the description for each and let them be selected. It wanted to reboot, which I did. Then it wanted to reboot, and reboot, and reboot.... I uninstalled the sucker, went into the registry and axed all references to Roxio and Easy CD.

Rebooted and voila! the hidden Dell partition is now visible and has a drive letter. My Truecrypt partition (which had no drive letter till it was mounted) now has a drive letter.

I went to ControlPanel\AdminTools\ComputerManagement\Disk Management, right click on a partition, select Change Drive Letter & Path, and it shows no letter assigned to that drive, and no option to remove it, only the Add button is enabled. Same for the other partition. The Dell partition shows only "Help" in the context menu on right click.

I googled and found Roxio 6 is famous for doing this; apparently DirectCD is the culprit. I don't use packet writing, and would not have installed it, except that they called it "Drag and drop" in the installation screens, and I read the descriptions twice but couldn't determine it was DirectCD. Scumbags, I hope they rot in hell.

I googled, used Diskpart, and it does not see any drive letters, even for the system partition, C.

I googled again, edited registry and changed drive letter assignments there, went back to disk management, same problem.

I booted from my Partition Magic 8 CD, hid the Truecrypt and the other partition. Cannot do anything to the Dell partition; it's status is "None". Booted, and bingo, all the partitions and drive letters show up in My Computer. Go into Diskpart, and it does not see the hidden partitions, just the boot partition.

I tried to boot into safe mode. It shows my login ID, but stupid thing says my password is wrong. I have never had problems getting into safe mode on other PCs before. Except that this is thing is on my company's domain. I tried putting domain\myloginID and pw, but that didn't help. I'm not on the domain now; sitting in my hotel room (8:30pm)

So obviously something is screwed up; disk management sees hidden partitions but won't let me change / remove drive letters, only add them; windows explorer thinks drive letters are assigned; Diskpart doesn't see hidden partitions or drive letters.

What I need to do is remove drive letters. Then I can go in and reassign them the way I want them. I googled, but all info to remove drive letters use Disk Management, which won't let me remove drive letters.

Please, help :crap: Thanks.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yup. Fortunately my laptop boots, and C: is still C:. The problem is with the other partitions, including the previously hidden, now visible Dell partition.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, partial success! I went back into Partmagic and unhid the two partitions (formerly D & E). After re-booting, Disk Management allowed me to assign E to the second partition. Upon mounting the Truecrypt volume, it becomes D like the old times. So far, so good.

The Dell partition is still visible and has a drive letter. So does the unmounted Truecrypt volume. These are annoyances I can live with for now. I'm determined to get this fixed, though.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow mubs, that is a serious headache and some serious troubleshooting so far.

I've had Alcohol 120%, Daemon tools, and older Roxio perform similar tricks to drive letters in the past. -pleading to the MS gods- Why does this have to be so hard?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Life was good.

Then company IT gave me a Roxio Easy CD DVD Creator 6 Basic CD

(I know, I know, kill me and put me out of my misery).

Then it wanted to reboot, and reboot, and reboot....

I googled and found Roxio 6 is famous for doing this;

Scumbags, I hope they rot in hell.

Please, help :crap: Thanks.

Edited for clarity. :D

Seriously Mubs, that is some pain. I'll echo the rot in hell statement