DSL Modem recommendations

ddrueding

Fixture
The Netopia 3346 modem/routers that PacBell (now ATT) provide really suck. They crash regularly, brick often, and just don't respond the rest of the time. It's even worse now that Motorola has purchased Netopia, support is down the tubes. I need some replacements. I need a single DSL connection in and a single RJ-45 out with no firewall/NAT or other crap, that is compatible with static IPs and the service around here.

Compatibility is the biggest concern I have, I know nothing of what will work with what.

Any advice regarding compatibility, recommendations, and places to buy would be much appreciated.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Alcatel 1000 ADSL. Gives me 1.4 mb/sec, and, it's been here years. I have a static IEP, works fine.

Dr G

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
When I first got DSL service (1999), Pacbell gave me an Alcatel DSL modem; worked well. It's still in a box somewhere.

DD, I'm curious; I thought the modem had something like a MAC address that the guys in the CO had to enter into some config at their end. Can you just swap a DSL modem any time you want?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Past two and a half years I have used a Westell 327W that verizon gave me with this DSL line. It has been completely trouble free. It has wireless, firewall and a four port hub, BUT you can easily bypass ALL of that crap with a feature they call single IP. Then everything outside gets passed to this internal IP, its like the whole device isn't even there. I plugged that into my 3Com wireless router/firewall/DMZ which I already knew how to operate and configure. That is in turn plugged into my US Robotics 8 port gigabit unmanaged switch that all my computers plug into. Sounds complicated but the only thing I touch on occasion is the 3Com router to put new holes in the firewall when I want.

ddrueding

Fixture
mubs,

I know on Cable Modems you need your MAC registered with them because the network has multiple users, but on DSL each user has their own circuit. I don't think I'll need to register it with them, but if I do it shouldn't be that hard.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I know on my router you can spoof a MAC address, I think that is a common feature.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Zoom, eh? Back in the modem days they used to make good stuff. I have a Zoom external 56k modem in a box somewhere.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:
If they work, let us know, and, how well they work..

GS

ddrueding

Fixture
They arrived tonight at 8PM, I will head down there tomorrow at around 10AM and see what's up. They are supposed to be the endpoints of a site-site VPN using smoothwalls, and the ends are 40minutes away from each other (my driving). Good thing it's all billable. ;)