DVD burner recommendations

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I think my CD-RW drive just crapped out on me. I was thinking about getting a DVD burner soon anyway. Any recommendations? From looking around it looks like 16X DVD drives are prett common and only about $40.

Thanks!
Adcadet

Handruin

Administrator
I like the Pioneer DVR-110 and NEC 3540A. Both are in the $40 range. I've seen references from Will, Groltz, Buck, and ddrueding saying they like the BenQ drives. You'll find their references if you search around.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
The Benq DW1640 has received quite a few good reviews. They're not expensive either. I used one in my SFF box.

On the other hand, I was hellbent on keeping IDE ribbon cable quantity minimized in my gaming machine and went with the Plextor PX-716SA SATA unit in that machine. No complaints other than the price.

Had Benq released a SATA DW1640 I would have been all over that instead.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I own a LG GSA-4163B and I have no complain about it. Same goes for a NEC ND-3500A. My LG drive came with Nero Express. I don't remember about the NEC. Both manufacturers now offer updated models of the two I own.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have a NEC ND-3540A. I don't have any complaints. I've burnt a lot of +R's, -R's, and even quite a few DL discs. Other than some Ritek made +R DL discs (which are notoriously poor) I've had 0 bad burns (I always do a full verify).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
On the advise of folks around here, I have a number of the nec 3520's, and 3540's. All work great.

Had problems with the external drive housings from costco, that use USB two, but, it wasn't the drive that was bad, just the connector, or housing itself.

These have been far superior to the Sony I used to have in this machine.

Wonder where I put that POS???

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have a number of CD burners that are Lite-on, and they have been great.

gs

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Pioneer 110D. Best drive on the market, and at a bargain price.

NEC seems to have fallen behind a little, otherwise I like the 3rd party firmware support.

Previous Lite-On DVD-RW lacked basic functionality, and people here have had issues. I liiked their CD-RW drives.

I am personally prejudiced against LG computer hardware, but I may reconsider if they start producing quality products.

Sony is just a four-letter word.

Handruin

Administrator
time said:
Sony is just a four-letter word.

Shit, poop, junk, crap? Which one, you're leaving me in suspense. Ah, forget it, I'll ask Mercutio.