DVD Burning Question

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm a newbie when it comes to DVD burning.
We only have region 1 encoded ones here.
But I just got a new dvd burner.
So I thought maybe I can just copy it onto a DVD-R and make it regionless or something. So I impulse bought a three pack of DVD-R blanks to try this out. I'm making backup copies of DVDs I already own. They need to be playable in DVD players in Italy.

How do I do that?
I've got a BENQ DW1640 burner and the nero it came with and windows XP Home edition.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You can rip the DVD with DVD Decryptor. And you can burn the image with that program as well. However, if your DVDs are too big I would get DVD Shrink to take out the Extras on the DVD that you don't need. Both of these programs are free.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
dvd shrink is marginally harder to find than it used to be. Visit afterdawn.com to get a nice, working copy.

Handruin

Administrator
If you can't find dvdshrink at afterdawn, send me a PM and I'll give you a link to it. If you have nero, DVD shrink will burn the disk for you using nero. I've had no problems burning them this way.

If you've got some time to kill, check our doom9.org's guide section.

Handruin

Administrator
Is the ISO/Files small enough to fit onto a 4.7GB disc (unless you plan to burn dual layer)? If not, you'll need to use dvdshrink to recompress the files. DVD Shrink will burn it to disk for you after shrinking if you have nero installed. If you used DVD Decryptor, then it should already be region free. If not, dvd shrink will make it region free.

Mercutio

If it's a little guy and you're using DVD Decrypter, go to Mode, ISO, Write and then click "Source" to choose the ISO file you want to write.

DVD Decrypter is a very handy tool.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
All three were 1 layer and small enough to fit on a dvd-r disk.
After burning they play fine and dvd decryptor reports all regions.
I tried them in the dvd player here and they work fine.
Hopefully when I send them over there they will still work fine.
Thanks

Mercutio

Eurolander-types have a different broadcast standard for their TVs, which has a few more scan lines but refreshes a little less often.

Not to worry, MOST dvd players seem to be able to handle that conversion without any hassle.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not just Eurolander types - AFAIK only North America and Japan use NTSC (just checked, also Taiwan, South Korea and some tiny South American countries).

And it's more than just a few scan lines (625 vs 525). PAL offers 576 viewable lines - 20% more resolution than NTSC's 480. Then there's the vastly superior color accuracy and the significantly improved contrast.

And I nearly forgot NTSC's combing problem.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
How about PAL running at 25 FPS and since most film is 24 FPS PAL runs about 4% faster than it should.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You can't see the 4% - it's like trying to determine whether a car is travelling at 48 or 50mph. Better that than mixing fields like NTSC.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
PAL NTSC. Isn't this the same as the HD wars? 720p/1080i or something? Anybody have a good primer?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
SÉCAM's angry that no one's mentioned it.

For a pictorial representation of what's used where, look here.

William, this link tells you more than you will ever want to know.

BTW, a (former?) member of SF is on the front page of Wikipedia today!

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Very cool mubs, and I didn't know we had a member called Patience Cooper ;)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
NTSC is a dated, horrible, inferior old standard that would have been abandoned along with the inch, the Farenhight degree, and the fluid ounce many years ago if it wasn't still used in a technically backward and deeply conservative country called ....

No no, wait. I think they still use those other things too. No-one knows why.

Mercutio

Bitch all you want about fluid ounces and NTSC, but I'll take the sensitivity of Fahrenheit degrees over the Celsius any day!

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
mubs, I saw The Giver (book Loius Lowry) and knew what you meant. I was just being silly. :oops:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
1: I defy you to tell the difference in a proper double blind test between 68F and 69F. Hell, I don't reckon you could reliably tell the difference (under scientific test conditions) between 32C and 33C. Nor could I. of course.

2: Now there is another extraordinary thing about this backward country we were talking about: a curious inability to understand an admitedly difficult mathematical concept called the decimal point. Hint: it is properly used, among other things, for quoting share prices. I mean, "US Steel closed at 27 and five-eighths" - what century is this?) One of the nice things about these decimal point thingies is that you can be as sensitive as you like. "It was 26.40932C today." Or instead of being half persuaded to my point of view, you could be 47.30496510034% persaded.

3: They do it in the US, therefor it must be wrong.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
...but I'll take the sensitivity of Fahrenheit degrees over the Celsius any day!

You care whether it is 12°F or 13°F? I'd just call that cold in my Celsius world :p

The Grammar Police

Learning Storage Performance
LiamC said:
Read what I said. If you think I implied something, read what I said again. The implication could be in your reading.

Not possible. An implication is always in the source material. Always. By definition.

When reading, one can only infer, never imply

Mercutio

Tannin said:
1: I defy you to tell the difference in a proper double blind test between 68F and 69F. Hell, I don't reckon you could reliably tell the difference (under scientific test conditions) between 32C and 33C. Nor could I. of course.

I also enjoy the face of a digital timekeeping device, which indicates that it is 7:43:18 as I type this. :p

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
The Grammar Police said:
Not possible. An implication is always in the source material. Always. By definition.

When reading, one can only infer, never imply

:oops:

I bow to your superior wisdom.

Fixed. Now that's two new things today.

me

What is this storage?
I can tell you that, during normal breathing, the naturally occurring moisture in my nose begins to freeze at exactly -18.5 degrees Celsius. Everyone has their own unique temperature at which that happens. It's a very handy, very accurate temperature mark.

Or was that too much detail for you?

:lol: