DVD Changer for Data

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I am looking for DVD data changers that hold 200-400 discs and connect via USB 2 or Firewire. I know there are some inexpensive DVD changers for video. The few DVD data changers found through searches were too expensive for home use. Am I overlooking something, or is there just no market for such consumer devices?

Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
S*ny's low-end 400 DVD jukebox is only $280 if you wanted to buy it online. It obviously doesn't grok data discs, but with a keyboard input, you CAN just stick a bunch of discs in and label them.

LunarMist

Mercutio said:
S*ny's low-end 400 DVD jukebox is only $280 if you wanted to buy it online. It obviously doesn't grok data discs, but with a keyboard input, you CAN just stick a bunch of discs in and label them.
Thanks. It appears that I am SOL. What does "grok" mean - play?

LunarMist

I has been nearly 30 years since reading any Heinlein. I gather that it is impossible to play the data DVDs on that unit.

ddrueding

Fixture
LunarMist said:
I gather that it is impossible to play the data DVDs on that unit.

This is what I thought you were talking about, a system that could automatically access all the disks stored within (one at a time of course), not some glorified filing cabinet.

I used to have a 4-disk CD-ROM drive, it was the same size as a standard one but would take 4 disks (one at a time - slot load) and provided 4 drive letters. Of course, access between disks was dog slow, but it was faster than actually switching disks on a normal player.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a Panasonic 5-CD 10x changer in storage somewhere. Damn thing never worked right, whether in W98 or W2k. My advice, Gary, is to stay away from any "consumer" grade changers (for computers). And of course, the "business/corporate" models are frightfully expensive.

LunarMist

Thanks. OK, I gave up on that plan. I will begin an alternative storage strategy plan in another thread.