DVD Player Crashes

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Everytime I try to play a dvd it crashes when it gets to the menu. It plays the intro just fine but then bombs with a memory access error (memory at address x could not be "read"). Any ideas?

Soyo 6VCA
ATI Rage Fury Pro VIVO
Windows 2K

I tried without success:
new driver from windows update (newer than on ati's site).
reinstalling dvd player.
reinstalling old driver.
reinstalling directx 8.1.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Will Rickards WT said:
I tried without success:
new driver from windows update (newer than on ati's site).
reinstalling dvd player.
reinstalling old driver.
reinstalling directx 8.1.
Is it possible that your new driver is the CATALYST 3.0? If yes, it is supposed to only work in conjonction with DirectX 9.0, which I wouldn't recommend you to install. Use the CATALYST 2.5 instead. It won't fix your Soft DVD problem, but at least it won't create new issues elsewhere.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I had a problem with playing/ripping DVD's immediately after the installation of SP1 on winXP...

I had to install a new ASPI layer.. I was using the adaptec v4.7's, but downgraded to 4.6 (using forceASPI program) and the problems were resolved.

That is just another thing to try, I doubt it will solve your problem... my symptoms were just a hard freeze at the beginning of playing/accessing a video DVD.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Catalyst only works with Radeons, CougTek.

I had a problem on one of my machines when I moved it from Rage VIVO to 8500DV. The version of the ATI DVD Player wouldn't work with my newer card.

ATI DVD player is on version 7.6 right now, but IIRC the last one that works with the Rage VIVO is 7.1 or 7.2. You didn't upgrade to one of the very new players by mistake, did you?

One more thing that seems to resolve a lot of generic windows isues: Try running SFC.exe. Maybe you have a corrupted OS file or something.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
ATI Mulitmedia Center 7.1, DVD Player 4.1.
The drivers are not catalyst but 5.13.01.3279.

I just uninstalled everything: via audio driver, ati mmc, ati dvd player, ati drivers. Then I installed in order: latest via 4-in-1 4.45v, Via Audio 68mu200a, ati driver, directx 8.1, ati mmc, ati dvd.
Gives me same error.

If I skip past the menu by using chapter selection during the intro playing, it plays the movie fine. DMA is enabled, no IRQ conflicts.... I have no idea but since two different players crashed (ati and one that came with monsters inc).... ?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What has changed? Did it ever work? If not, maybe even try a different drive (regardless of the apparently working intro).

Otherwise, Mercutio's suggestion of broken Windows sounds about right.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
It did work before.
I formatted/reinstalled windows a couple of months ago to get rid of some crap. I don't think I tried it after that. I found a post in google groups that suggested it has to do with nero. I'm going to create a fresh 2k installation on my second swap/backup drive and just install the ati software and see what happens.
If it works it probably is a software issue.
If it doesn't work, it might be a hardware thing.

The error occurs in CINMST32.DLL used by ATIMMC.EXE. Access violation.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
Stuff has changed since I remember it working:

1) Adding CD-RW drive
2) Switching to dial-up (adding ISA Modem from old computer).
3) Adding Firewire Card for video from camcorder.

And I still haven't figured out which PCI slots share resources on this motherboard (Soyo 6VCA).

SteveC

Storage is cool
There is a trial version of PowerDVD you can download here. Perhaps that might tell if it's a hardware or software problem.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
DMA is enabled.

I put this on hold till after I move on the 15th.

I think it is some sort of conflict. I'm going to try to remove & move the cards in my system around and see what happens.

I'm trying to find a cheap replacement for my promise Ultra33 adaptor which may not be playing nice. Currently bidding on some ebay items.
It causes another problem which won't allow me to boot from my DVD or CD drive when that adaptor is installed (I have to verify whether it is just installed or installed with my swap/backup drive attached to it).