DVRs

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What does it take to build you own DVR? An old compter, a tv capture card, software, a large hard drive (how large?) and...?
How do you get the remote control work. Most of the ones I am familier with ard IR. Do you drill a hole in the front of the case. Or are they RF?
Thinking of using a Minuet case.

Any help is appreciated.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
The biggest trick is what your input source(s) are. Cable? Dish? OTA? Do you want to route other sources (VCR, DVD, etc) through he same box? Do you want to support HD?

Once you get this, then you can figure out which capture card you need. Then you can figure out what CPU/GPU you need to handle the sources and compression, then you can figure out how much capacity you need.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Cable in, output to HD TV. Posibly adding a DVD player to the box.

Bozo :jokecolor:

ddrueding

Fixture
Do you (or do you plan to) subscribe to premium channels? Encrypted HD content?

If so, you may need to use one of the cable company's set top boxes (STBs) and plug that into the capture card on your machine. IIRC, the cards that can decode encrypted channels were just released to OEMs only a few weeks ago and still don't work.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
We don't get any premium channels and I don't forsee us getting any.
If I did get the premium chanels, I would have to get a box from Comcast which already has a DVR inside.

Thanks,

ddrueding

Fixture
Last question. Do you foresee wanting to watch TV on other computers in your house? There is a TV tuner box that connects via ethernet if you are interested. Otherwise, there are plenty of PCI-based options.

What inputs does your HD TV support? IMHO, DVI would be ideal.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The DVR will only be used on the TV. The TV is a Sony Wega and has more inputs than a Toad has warts.
I don't have digital cable or HD right now although the TV is capable. The TV needs an external box for HD, probably digital too. ( I had HD hooked up for a couple of months, then took the cable box back)

ddrueding

Fixture
Alright, so you are basically looking at the most basic HTPC rig out there; no special requirements at all, really.

WRT software: I also use my HTPC as a computer, so I am using Vista Ultimate (which includes Media Center) to do my tuning/DVRing/etc. I'm sure the guys can speak up and suggest a purpose-built linux distro like MythTV that might suit your needs better. Storage is one of those things where you can never have enough; I have TBs of video (shows, movies, etc).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmm...I have a copy of Vista Ultimate laying around here somewhere. The Media Center that is built in will work fine???

Handruin

Administrator
I'm genuinely curious as well about remote control use. Are you using any special type of remote to manage the Media Center software or must one use a mouse/keyboard for this operation?

ddrueding

Fixture
A lot of the Hauppauge cards come with remote controls. I saw a bluetooth remote at Fry's the other day that said it was specifically for Windows Media Center. I'll pick one up for testing tomorrow.

Me? I use a mouse. It's easier in a dark room than trying to figure out where a certain button is.