E5200 - 12.5 X 200, 9.5 x 266, or 7.5 x 333 ?

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I put together a new computer that's going to be my server in the basement that has a E5200 in it. I can run the CPU basically at stock clocks in any of the following configurations... 12.5 x 200, 9.5 x 266, or 7.5 x 333. The RAM will be at 800MHz in all three cases. Is there going to be any real difference between the three in terms of performance?

The only thing I think of is that the power savings should be better with 12.5 x 200 because the system can slow down to 6 x 200 when idle whereas the others will only slow via speedstep to 6 x 266 and 6 x 333 respectively.

ddrueding

Fixture
I follow your logic, but I don't think any of them will be a measurable difference. Even with a kill-a-watt, I don't think the difference will register.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't get it, your multiplier is unlocked? This an engineering sample?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Doh, I see the point now. Regardless when speedstep drops the speed and voltage to whatever I don't think you are going to see one bit of power difference unless you tweak the core voltage down further somehow. I'd probably try for the 333x9 to start with, assuming your chipset supports 1333fsb officially, just because you will likely have no trouble with that.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Lower multinplier is normallity the better if your RUM and chipsets can take it. why the 5200, when you can get a betetr CPu for not much more $$??

Stereodude

Not really a
Lower multinplier is normallity the better if your RUM and chipsets can take it.
Yes, but that conventional wisdom assumes you're running the RAM faster with the higher FSB. In my case it's the same in each case.
why the 5200, when you can get a betetr CPu for not much more $$??
Like?

The E8400 is 2x the cost and only offers less than a 10% advantage per MHz with it's larger cache. I don't need a ton of processing power in a fileserver.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't get it, your multiplier is unlocked? This an engineering sample?
Retail chip. My understanding is Intel lets you lower the multiplier, just not raise it. I have tried the E5200 in all three configurations and it works fine in all of them.

Stereodude

Not really a
Regardless when speedstep drops the speed and voltage to whatever I don't think you are going to see one bit of power difference unless you tweak the core voltage down further somehow.
The motherboard can dynamically adjust the voltage.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How much OC are you expecting from the CPU? Why not just run default settings?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Lower multinplier is normallity the better if your RUM and chipsets can take it. why the 5200, when you can get a betetr CPu for not much more $$??

RUM will slow down the CPU after a while. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
In theory, a lower multiplier and higher core frequency mean that all the parts on your motherboard are delivering data to your cpu more often, resulting in more efficient processor time.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yes, but again, the amount of gain will undoubtably negligible if the processor and RAM are stay at the default speeds. All you will accomplish is to heat up the chipset slightly. If you are not going to actually OC then just deal with the default settings.