Easy Video Camera System

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a client that isn't particularly computer savvy, but has a need to shoot video, edit it, and either burn it to a DVD or post it on YouTube.

The only editing they'll need to do is trim a clip and/or spice several clips.

At the moment, they have a Sony DCR-DVD403 that uses the little DVD discs and they give the entire camera to me with post-it directions on what they need stuck to the side.

I have the opportunity to redo their entire system; new camera, software, whatever. I just need it to be as bulletproof and simple as possible without getting in their way.

Thanks!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My generic recommendation for straightforward movie making is Ulead Moviefactory. The bigger problem I'm running in to these days is that a lot of simple DVD making programs don't support .MTS files from an HD camera. At that point, you need something like Xilisoft's Video Converter to turn the video into a more compatible format; basically nothing that deals with AVCHD seems to be free or easier than that.

I think you can do simple trimming of video directly on Youtube, at least as far as changing the start and stop point.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMM.
Logitech 9000 cam appears to have stuff that might work, though I haven't used it for anything other then Skype....

ddrueding

Fixture
How about from a hardware standpoint? HD isn't an issue at the moment, and a recording duration of even 6 hours would be plenty. Though if HD is available without much additional cost, it would be a no-brainer. Something with decent optics and a bit of a zoom would be fantastic.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't really know or care enough about that stuff. I work with whatever people bring me. One of the consistent things that seems to come up is that low-cost HD cameras are missing basic features like mic inputs that used to be standard.

ddrueding

Fixture
Currently looking at this one. They say it includes "Pixela Video Browser Software" which can edit AVCHD files and transcode for YouTube. Though it doesn't say anything about DVD authoring.