Electrickery

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I had a warm, fuzzy moment and bought an Asus 8-port gigabit switch.

The fuzziness disappeared when I brushed my fingers against the ports and the bloody thing bit me. Not hard, mind, but a nip nonetheless.

There's a metal shield surrounding the ports. I found that touching it lightly was rewarded with a tingle or minor zap. While disconnecting the power adapter, I noticed that the end of the output plug also wanted a small piece of me. I reached for the trusty multimeter and measured 20VAC between the inside of the plug and the nearest metal computer case, which in this country is always earthed.

In other words, the wall-wart was leaking 20V from the mains and trying to make me part of the circuit.

In a country where every power point is 240V, I worry a bit when supposedly double-insulated devices don't seem to be all that well insulated. Switching mode power supplies have supplanted transformers, but require an article of faith that the manufacturer hasn't cocked it up and connected you directly to the mains.

It's particularly worrying when it's connected to a device that's a hub for multiple data cables that may reach up to 100m away. Admittedly, the desktop I tried grounded the problem, but what if you're just using laptops or other unearthed devices?

I took it back and got a replacement power adapter, but I really don't think the supplier's RMA person had any idea what I was on about. Got it home and it had much the same problem. Tried to talk to Asus about it, but was advised that I would have to get the supplier to contact the correct division of Asus.

I get the feeling if I had taken it back and told them that someone had been hospitalized, the reaction wouldn't have been much different. Not that I'm saying that would happen, but I really don't like the possibilities. If Jtr1962 is around, perhaps he can suggest a possible cause? Maybe it's completely benign ...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Honestly, this might be the sort of thing to try Twittering about. I don't think you'll get anywhere with Asus. I can't even get them to issue me RMAs most of the time. But other people might pick up that there's an issue and maybe you might get some attention for that.

Presumably you also have the equivalent of Underwriter's Labs in Oz, or something like a Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Lastly (and I don't know if this applies, because it's a US site), you could maybe get some attention drawn to the matter on a site like Consumerist.com.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Did you check the power outlet for any faults? I always check that first with a small plug-in device.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not isolated, period. Cheapos take the easy way out and connect the neutral (not-hot) wire to the metal body. This becomes a problem if the device is moved to a country where the hot and neutral contacts are swapped at the socket. The cheapos know what they did, so will not correct the problem or respond. I bought about 8 step-up / down transformers in the U.S. when I moved to India and had this problem; except that the metal body wasn't at 20V but a full 220V. The wiring in the sockets of the two countries are interchanged. I solved the problem by cutting off the molded plug at the end of the power cable and using a user-installed pin-plug and wiring it in reverse.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not isolated, period. Cheapos take the easy way out and connect the neutral (not-hot) wire to the metal body. This becomes a problem if the device is moved to a country where the hot and neutral contacts are swapped at the socket. The cheapos know what they did, so will not correct the problem or respond. I bought about 8 step-up / down transformers in the U.S. when I moved to India and had this problem; except that the metal body wasn't at 20V but a full 220V. The wiring in the sockets of the two countries are interchanged. I solved the problem by cutting off the molded plug at the end of the power cable and using a user-installed pin-plug and wiring it in reverse.
I just saw this thread but it seems mubs beat me to it with the probable answer. Yes, what you describe seems to be exactly the case here. If you can open it up you might be able to correct the problem ( assuming you can find where the "neutral" wire is connected to the body).

On another note, unbelieveable that any large, reputable company like Asus would do something this dumb. Even if only sold in the USA, you're assuming the device will never be plugged into an outlet where hot and neutral are reversed.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's more complicated than that. While it was unplugged, I checked resistance between the two mains pins and both sides of the output plug. On my cheapo multimeter's full scale setting of 2 megohms, it showed infinity, i.e. too large a resistance to measure.

I also checked my powerpoints, and couldn't detect any voltage between Ground and either Active or Neutral (Neutral is earthed at the point of entry, after which they are separate; any appliance that has Neutral connected to an external surface constitutes a breach of safety regulations).

When I tried to measure the A/C on the power adapter output, it showed less than a volt - until I touched it, when it shot up to about 15V! I observed similar behavior with the network switch connected; the port shield surround was quiescent until I touched it.

Note that the this switch is promoted on the basis of its various power-saving features; it shuts down whatever it can whenever possible. I don't know where my resistor collection is, otherwise I'd be interested in seeing what happens if you put maybe 10 kilohms between this thing and ground (right now, my resistance from one hand to the other is between 1 and 2 megohms, in case anyone was wondering).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
reputable company like Asus .

i_lold.jpg