Enabling Moderators

Handruin

Administrator
I'd like to set a few people as moderators and in the past we used to go through this lengthy nomination and voting process which seems to make some people happy and others not so happy (when they aren't voted for). I'm mainly looking for help when we get the occasional spam or if someone needs something fixed or moved around in their threads. Since I can't be online 24/7 and I've been busy with some things in my life I'd like to just send out some PM's asking people if they would accept the responsibility to moderate for some time.

Does anyone have a problem with that or do we need to go through a nomination voting cycle? I'm really just trying to minimize drama and make this very simple. Please let me know what you think.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
(Some heavily edited excerpts from a private discussion in June 2002)

Tannin: How long does an Admin Team member's term run for?

Time: Do you automatically get rid of an employee or a director just because his contract has expired? Even politicians get re-elected.

Tea: Nope. But they do have reguar performance reviews.

The trouble with being too relaxed about people stepping down of their own accord is that, generally speaking, people don't. That's human nature: we are all much the same in this regard. We tend to just let things roll along, one year after another, participate less and less, and quite possibly even forget that we belong to something.

Time: We're not talking about years yet. We're still at the months stage. Sheesh!

I realize you want to make this your next poll, but I'd like to point out that many politicians and other elected officials enjoy the comfort of five year terms. I don't think this site will even last that long, but it highlights how bizarre it is to spend so much effort worrying about getting rid of people before even five months has elapsed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Time wuz wrong. It's now five years and five days since I posted that prediction. Amazingly, 9 of the original 12 admins are still posting today, along with an approximately equal number of members who signed up in the early days.

What's more remarkable is that Doug has selflessly shouldered his burden for all this time with nary a squeak. I don't believe he's ever had the support we more or less promised, and I'm more than happy for him to appoint anyone he damn well feels like. :p

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Please let me know what you think.
This is really a question of whether this is your site or our site. If it's your site, you can do whatever you want, otherwise there are other parties to reference.

In my opinion, the best types of folks for these types of positions are the ones who are least interested in doing them.

Handruin

Administrator
Something will. I was just giving it a little extra time for others to read.