Epyc vs Intel Scalable Xeon

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Seen the comparative reviews yet? For small/medium business architectures, AMD wipes the floor. Epyc 7601 pretty much equals the Xeon 8176, which cost twice the price.

Where Intel shines is on larger scale servers like quad-socket servers, but those servers are irrelevant to most enterprises, except those with very large architectures. For all other needs, you simply get more for less $$$ by opting for an AMD-based solution. Also, since Epys processors can address more RAM than their Intel counterparts and that you can use cheaper modules to end up with a similar amount of memory, it exacerbates the cost rift between both platforms. For now, there's far less servers choice using Epyc and that's probably why Intel won't be too impacted at first.

AMD won this round on the server side IMO.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
How many are you ordering?

For now, none. I had to modernize our servers two months ago and couldn't wait because we were quickly running out of resources. It would be surprising if we had to purchase new servers for our needs during the next three years.

However, I'm also, on occasion, the design architect for computer infrastructures for one division of the conglomerate I work for and it is plausible that I opt for Epyc-based servers next time I'm asked for advices.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
One thing that I think that Epyc has going for it is a simple and relatively flat model structure.

Intel spends too much effort slicing and dicing the market to squeeze a little more money, and it's going to confuse some people.