Everything Search Engine

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just installed it. It indexed 4 volumes in a few seconds. Why aren't other search tools this fast?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Searches only by name though. That is not what I spend most of my time searching on. Usually I'm doing a partial name match with the containing text argument.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I do a lot of name searches, so this should save me a lot of time waiting. It also includes regexp support. If regular expressions weren't so hard to write that would be useful too.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Am I the only one to never search anything on my computers because I always know where my stuff is?

Nope. I search help files for products often but that's about it.

Most people aren't really in touch with their file system as they should be.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Probably, Coug. I use search maybe a few times a year on my own systems - prety much always when I'm hunting for something half-remembered that didn't seem important enough to be worth filing properly at the time.

On customer machines, of course, anything can be anywhere, so I use it regularly. And I despise the way they dumbed down a perfectly good interface with the change from W2k to XP. That bloody dog makes my bloodboil.

Handruin

Administrator
Am I the only one to never search anything on my computers because I always know where my stuff is?

Only for email content. The windows desktop search integrates and indexes outlook which is what I have to use at work. Anything else I rarely have to search for actual files because like you, I know where they are located.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't ever need to search for files. I'm anal-retentive about putting things where they belong so I don't have to.

Email, maybe, but even then it's unlikely. Even though I keep every message I have in my inbox I can usually narrow down date and sender that searching isn't an issue.

Handruin

Administrator
I could probably narrow them down also and find them, but the desktop search is way faster than me clicking and hunting through my folders.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I develop a variety of applications, some of them have over 5000 source files. Search saves a lot of time when trying to find a specific file, where I know the name or part of the name, but maybe not the exact location in the directory structure.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The folder organization scheme falls apart at some point. I have too may files and/emails that fall into multiple categories. So when I'm filing them I always reacha decision point as to which folder to put the file/folder in. Regardless of which option I take, at some point in the future I may be scanning the other folders lookoing for this item.

I use the folders as we have choice. but knowing that my data doesn't fall into them neatly, I find items using search.

What we need is a tagging file system instead of or in addition to folders. An indexed search is as close as we can conveniently get to tags right now.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The funny thing is, if I'm doing a name only search I just do the following from a command prompt:

cd \
dir /p /s *.jpeg (replacing *.jpeg with your search)

a lot quicker than windows search function....

But I do disgress, I only have to do it on other peoples PCs, and I typically know where I store my stuff...

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Symlinks are OK but that's an extra file management step that the average person isn't going to want to do. Being able to tag files seems a heck of a lot easier to me; just apply lables like you do to GMail messages.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Oh email I search all the damn time, I even have a special archive file where I save the really important stuff but I also load the subject up with key words so I can search faster at that level rather than diving down into the message body.