Exploding Dells, Part II

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Oh great, we use those 2005 Dells at work. How do I know if my notebook will explode? I'm afraid to take it home now.

LunarMist

We only get new conmputers every 3 years. I think my Dell notebook has no Cores at all.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
A Core 2 Duo with an exploding battery is not as big an improvement over a Pentium M with an exploding battery as one might think....

LunarMist

So the Pentium Ms did not explode and only the Core 2 Duos explode? What about the Core 1 - does it explode?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The exploding has nothing to do with the processor. So all Dell laptops could, theoretically, get the overheating battery treatment. Call it a bonus feature.

Generally, I'm not a fan of aftermarket batteries for laptops, as they tend to be unduly specific and the manufacturing sources questionable. Although Dell has managed to make all sources of batteries for its laptops questionable....

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I don't think it is model specific. But rather batter manufacturer. I heard it was the sony manufactured ones that were bad. Queue merc's satisfying laughter.

LunarMist

How is this even slightly amusing? The defective battery packs are a serious safety hazzard, especially onboard aircraft. Until IT confirms the battery recall status I will leave the Dell notebook at work rather than bringing it home at night.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Sony makes the batteries..so I wonder if we'll start seeing more recalls?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The batteries in question are made by Sony, and it is probable that Sony will bear the brunt of the cost of the recall, which could run to $200 million. Dell made the announcement of the voluntary recall together with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Anybody with a Sony battery manufactured within the date range of the recall is eligible for a free replacement.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/08/15/120455.php

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist said:
How is this even slightly amusing? The defective battery packs are a serious safety hazzard, especially onboard aircraft. Until IT confirms the battery recall status I will leave the Dell notebook at work rather than bringing it home at night.

You should be fine, just leave the battery at work, and use the laptop with the AC adaptor.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Dell have been screwing their suppliers for cheaper, cheaper, cheaper prices for so long, it's a wonder they haven't had big-time disasters before. No company that wants everything for nothing gets any respect or sympathy from me.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently the Dell recall is going to be expanded in the scope of what models are affected, the update should happen today.