Fast Wiping

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is the fastest way to wipe or zero fill the flash cards? Of course the less wear the better. :cyclop:

ddrueding

Fixture
No idea. I just do an in-camera format. I know that wouldn't prevent data recovery using software, but I don't see that being a problem. Are you actually considering selling something? ;)

LunarMist

No cards for sale. Formatting cards in cameras is annoying. I almost always format them in a computer with a DOS batch file after downloading each set to triplicate targets. However, I'd like to start fresh each time before going into the field. :cyclops:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
What is the fastest way to wipe or zero fill the flash cards? Of course the less wear the better. :cyclop:

I'm going to assume you don't need a security wipe.
Does the camera not have a 'quick' format option?
If you drop them into a computer and quick format them there then the in-camera format is not likely to take as long.

Theoretically.

LunarMist

I was thinking that one pass of fill is enough of a wipe for practical purposes, i.e., software recovery would find nothing. I only do that for each project, not each time the card is used.

Formatting is faster in the camera (essentially instant), but best done in the computer for logistics. I follow a rote pattern after return to home base. Unpack computer and boot, connect power supply, pull memory card from one body, insert into card reader, connect two external drives/PSDs, check correct drive letters, execute multi-copy app, view first few image thumbs flying by, pull camera batteries and charge, pull remaining cards/wallets and stack upright, copy each card in sequence, check total number of frames per day vs. total number (morning PSD1, evening PSD2). After copying is complete and all frames are accounted for, each card is formatted with the bat file and returned to its designated location.
I've practiced the drill so many times that I can almost do it in my sleep, which is often practically the case. :sunny:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Since there's not a 1:1 mapping of clusters to data cells, I would expect that a quick format would require forensic methods to reconstruct data. A single fill pass would require coaxing the electrons to tell you what they were doing before you looked....

LunarMist

No. A quick format does nothing. There are numerous recovery tools for that.

Stereodude

Not really a
I think the wear leveling algorithm employed by the card may foil attempts to actually clear all the flash cells in it to 0.

LunarMist

I think the wear leveling algorithm employed by the card may foil attempts to actually clear all the flash cells in it to 0.

Why? It should fill each block as part of a large file that is the size of the card.

LunarMist

I don't think you are getting the point. A 15.2 GB file of all zeros or other pattern fills up the whole card. Wear leveling cannot add space.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Last time I checked the only 100% secure erase (or either magnetic media or flash media) was 100% physical destruction of the device. Anything less, and some would not consider it "secure erase".