Fastest platform to compute Genome@home?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hi,

I'm trying to find what platform has the best performance to power ratio to run the Genome@home project. What I mean is : which setup calculates the maximum amount of G@h units per Watt dissipated.

Would it be a dual-Tualatin setup? A dual-Athlon MP setup? A dual-Duron setup? I don't know. I saw a tables showing the amount of RC5 MKey processed per MHz for several modern CPUs and the Athlon XP trunked the P4 by a ~2:1 ratio. I suppose the same should be true for computing Genome@home units, but I'm not sure.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
> which setup calculates the maximum amount of G@h units per Watt dissipated.
>

The maximum?

Ok, I'll bite. ;-)

I'd be inclined to say it's this one. At the very least, it must be in the top 5.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That's fine Buck, you are free to contribute to whatever you want. I'm just asking for my personal knowledge (and fun :) ).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
i said:
> which setup calculates the maximum amount of G@h units per Watt dissipated.
>

The maximum?

Ok, I'll bite. ;-)

I'd be inclined to say it's this one. At the very least, it must be in the top 5.

I don't know about that i, my 386sx is pretty quick. Is sx6 quicker because the number comes after the letters? :roll:

BR

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
i said:
The maximum?

Ok, I'll bite. ;-)

CougTek said:
which setup calculates the maximum amount of G@h units per Watt dissipated.
I'm talking about PC setups here. Anyway, I'm not sure that Cray computer has a very good perf/power consumption ratio compared to a bunch of regular PCs put together. I might be wrong though.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm just kidding you. :)

Perhaps Buck can write a letter to Cray and ask if it's worth upgrading from his cherished 386 to an SX6 for the sake of improved G@h and RC5 stats?