Fault-Tollerant Terabyte Storage Server for cheap

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
Came across this nifty worklog while googling terabyte server.

http://www.finnie.org/terabyte/

It's semirecent and within good budget. I was just thinking about how else I could configure my 8 x 200GB into a TB w/o plopping down 400$ on a 3ware. I haven't seen any reviews of the Highpoint RocketRaid 454 card anywhere and wonder if anyone has any experience with it.
If the card does perform decently, it would give u 8 independant channels for around 200$. Software striping two RAID 5 arrays does sound appealing too.

Opinions?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sometimes cheap RAID 5 is less fault tolerant with respect to data loss than independent drives. You'll still be running regular backups, correct?

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
There are more SATA Raid controllers on the market now. However, the $/GB for SATA is still more than IDE. The only real life reason for SATA would probably be for the longer, thinner cables.
Highpoint makes an 8 port SATA RAID card for around 200$. LSI also has a 6 port for around 300$.

If one of the drives fails on the RAID 50, the striped array would be in degraded mode, but still function. If a 2nd drive on the 2nd RAID 5 array failed, than the array would still be function. From a theoretical best case scenario.

I'm almost positive the the Highpoint Rocketraid 454 is a software raid 5 card, but the performance benchmarks using Bonnie wasn't too bad.
For a storage server accessed over a 10/100/1000 Mbps network, the performance should be adequate.

So anyone have any experience with it?