Finally….someone who broke ‘the code‘

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
wow, that's surprising. But I have to agree about the "immigrants in their own country" statement.

It's not just lower income blacks. I think all people should strive to better themselves, or at a minimum not drag down society.

JSF

What is this storage?
In his syndicated talk show from KABC, Los Angeles, Larry Elder, "The Sage from South Central", has preempted Bill Cosby for years. In doling so he has received continual invective from the black community. It takes another black man with the stature of Cosby to get the attention of the black leadership. Cosby and others like him should have spoken out years ago.

Aside from the message of Elder's program, listen to it (if available in your area) for its great jazz music.

Joe.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Amen to that. Parents need to raise their children. Encourage them to want a better future.

They need to support and encourage the schools, instead of blaming them. My ex-wife taught in Gary, IN. She eventually quit as the parents never supported the teachers. If a student wasn't performing academically or was a troublemaker in the class, the parents would come and swear at the teachers and insist their child could never do such things.

But above all else, the individuals need to strive for self-improvement. It can be achieved. Regardless of race.

ddrueding

Fixture
I agree that it's a problem, and it's a problem that Cosby and the group he was with need to address, but to me it's just another problem.

The junior high I went to had a 20% drop-out rate, the high school was closer to 50%. 30% of graduates went to college and 50% of those got a degree. There were 3 black students in my class of 1500. It was, however, 75% hispanic. :ducks:

Call me a cynic, but trying to fix this and similar problems is impossible. A problem with people can only be fixed if the people with the problem think that it is a problem. In this case many consider it more of an institution than a problem.

It is the responsability of those who are worthy to push though the crowd and move on. Wanting to help people who don't want to help themselves is stupid.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The amazing thing to me is, Cosby is getting a TON of flack over this from mainstream Black intelligentsia. Michael Eric Dyson and Tavis Smiley both sounded extremely upset when discussing his comments on Smiley's radio program.

Now, I may be wrong about this, but if anyone has the right to make those comments, it's Bill Cosby. Doctor of Education Bill Cosby. Who grew up in the ghettoes of Philadelphia. And who may be the most successful black entertainer of all time. Almost certainly the definition of a positive black role model, too.

Anyway, he said some things that Chris Rock has been riffing on for years as well. As has Aaron McGruder, in his comic strip "Boondocks".

It isn't like the Black communty hasn't heard these things before. I suppose the shocking thing this time is that the message wasn't sweetened with humor.

Handruin

Administrator
I understand the core of this article, but the part I'm unclear is where Cosby is going with this.

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

I've never felt because I'm white that other people who are white are "my people". Why promote segregation through skin color? Cosby may be stuck in his own time, or I've learned in my own time to live with people for who they are. I applaud his efforts even though some of what he is saying is just enforces a difference in color to stay a separate "group"...as if we're all not people. I may sound naive, but assure you my fantasy to treat all people fair isn't always the reality. I just hope that it could be some day.

Many black folk probably are surprised because Cosby broke the code; he stepped out of the box. A black person publicly criticizing other blacks, especially those in the lower economic stratum? Come on, no way.

Based on the article saying the audience was 75% black, where the other 25% not surprised? Can I not be surprised because I'm not black? There are plenty of other people (skin color) in the same situation. They just may not be as sensitive to any particular color speaking the truth. I understand the underlying point is that Cosby has an "in" to make these comments because he is black.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mr. Cosby isn't trying to segregate African-American culture from white/mainstream culture. Rather, I think he's trying to maintain the positive, diverse elements that make black culture different from white.

Is there a "white culture"?

Yup. You see it on just about every network TV show that's ever aired.
Is there a difference between a family of German or Irish or Russian-descended family in the US?

Not really. With few exeptions (places where there's still a cohesive ethnic community, like Poles in Chicago), because of intermingling and migration, we're all a lot alike.

There is a black culture. There are some very good things about it. I think Mr. Cosby is trying to preserve those things before they get washed away in the avalanche of ignorance he's speaking out against.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The point of posting the cat parody, on rap music, and overbreeding, was and is, that rap music resembles, and gives those same messages to people.

Breed, overpopulate, with no responsibility, with anyone that comes along, and that's cool, regardless of what happens to your children.

That certainly seems to be a message from Mr. Cosby, as well.

s