Firewall question

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't have a lot of experiance with firewalls, and I was wondering if there is a firewall that blocks all incomimg packets but allows any outgoing packets? The word "Free" needs to be predominate in it's name.

Thanks,
Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
There is some clarification needed. Stereodude is correct, that Linksys (and the one built-in to Windows) block all incoming traffic unless otherwise specified OR unless the request originated at that machine.

Do you want requests that a computer on the inside made to get through?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
There is some clarification needed. Stereodude is correct, that Linksys (and the one built-in to Windows) block all incoming traffic unless otherwise specified OR unless the request originated at that machine.

Do you want requests that a computer on the inside made to get through?

The firewall is for a single computer. I need to block everything coming into it, except specific address. But I need to be able to get out from that computer to everywhere. This computer is not on a network that has access to the Internet. I suppose that is what software firewalls do??
I have downloaded ZoneAlarm and Outpost firewall so far, but have not installed anything yet.

Thanks,
Bozo :joker:

Stereodude

Not really a
The hardware firewalls are IP based. They don't have to be just for the internet. However, a Linksys like firewall may noticeably slow down the traffic to that PC.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think even the ones built-in to XP SP2/3 and Vista can do this. Just go to the "exceptions" tab and uncheck everything. Now add back the IPs/Ports that you want.