Folding@home on Dual CPU machine?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Can someone give me the lowdown on running F@H on my dualie? I assume it's NOT multithreaded, and that I should slave it to a single CPU. Any other suggestions?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I think I've seen other members posts which say that you can run two instances of the application. Not sure.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
To run two F@h clients on a dual-CPU setup, you have to use the console version of the client. Then (from The Tech Report) :
  • After you’ve downloaded the client, you will want to put it into a directory. If you have a dual-processor system, you'll want two copies of the file in two separate directories. I generally use C:\program files\F@H\Cpu0 and …\Cpu1, respectively. After you've copied the program into (one or both) locations, go ahead and run the client(s).
You'll have to configure both clients separately. Register them under the same user name and give them the same team number (our is 10047). The machine ID should be different for both clients.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet-

I'm doing this. If you need any help..just IM me. I'm running both instances as a service 24x7.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/service-nt2000xp.htm

The page above is not 100% correct when used with FAH3. Make sure you change the file names as appropriate for use with the FAH3 client.

Also, as Coug mentioned, the first time you run the console client for each installation (in separate folders), run it manually rather than as a serivce. Make sure you go into the Advanced settings during set-up and set a machine id 1 for one process and machine id 2 for the other install. Your settings are saved in the config file in the directory (you will see it).

That is it, it is really very simple and stays out of your way when you run it as a service. You can still look at the log file to monitor work progress.

BTW: The -local switch doesn't work now and is replaced with the machine ID thingy above. All you need is the console client...the other stuff is fluff.

Clocker

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Just in case anybody failed notice, Clocker is still Da Man! Not only did he post here, but he also ICQed me the link. Talk about service.

Adcadet