Folding Protein P145_1L2Yunf

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Has anyone had any of these units lately? Two things can happen if you get one:

a: :) You get a P145_1L2Yunf workunit. It zips along pretty quickly and you assume that it's not worth many points - and quite rightly so: like a half-dozen other ones with similar names (P142_1LY2unf and P144_1LY2unf are examples), it's a tiddler worth 0.6 of a point.

b: :( You get a P126_1LY2unf workunit. These were mistakenly labelled as P145 but they ain't! P146 is a whole different creature: it chugs along at a glacial rate, you get 20 days to send it in before they give up on you, and it's worth 6 entire points (that's 6.0, not 0.6).

The moral of the story is, if your machine seems way too slow at crunching your tiddly little P145 protein, then you have a P146 with the wrong label. From the Stanford site:

We're doing some work to study how protein folding depends on a variety of exernal properties. We're doing the same protein in different projects with differences in solution conditions. The project 146 WUs went out with the .xyz files labeled as 145. This was especially unfortunate since the 146 WUs are 10x longer (and get 10x more credit) than 145.

For me, it worked out well. My XP 1800 started a new work unit sometime early this morning and about 11:00AM I decided to slip in to the office to grab a spare power supply for my Smoothie, seeing as the one in it was playing hell with my AM radio reception. I switched it off and ducked down to the shop, not even bothering to put shoes on because I was only going to be five minutes. ...... That was 12 hours ago, and I only just got home. Isn't it amazing how many little extra jobs you can think of that you ought to do, each one of which won't take much longer? Zap! There went my whole day! Still, I achieved quite a deal. Built systems, tested suspect components, wrote some letters, all that stuff.

But when I got home, I suddenly remembered that I had switched my Smoothie off and that my two Athlons would have been sitting there idle the whole day waiting for a net connection. Doh! With Cliptin breathing down my neck a mere two points behind me, this was not what I needed. But the mislabelled protein P146 to the rescue! My 1333 had long since stopped, but the 1800 was still crunching unit #99.

Phew! That was a close shave.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Both my PCs are working on P146 WU right now. The console version of F@H identifies them as P145, but the F@H Electron Microscope, that Clocker gave the link for, correctly identifies it a P146 and also correctly values it as worth 6.0 points.

Steve

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanx for the info Tea. Jeez, I don't want to check the stats before getting to Rome cause I will fall into depression...