Football

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There was speculation in the party where I was that the final running touchdown was allowed to get the offence on the field to score the game winner with plenty of time. Thoughts?
End up all speculation. The Giants' running back could have walked to the end zone and no Patriots would have touched him. It was the only way the Pats could win the game. Otherwise, the Giants could have use another play to run down the clock and make a field goal. That would have given only ~15-20 seconds to the Pats to cross the field and to get close enough to attempt a field goal themselves. It's more realistic to try a touch-down with 57 seconds to go and one time-out than it is to try a field goal with less than 20 seconds and a single time-out left.

Letting the Giants score a touchdown was their only play. But the game was already over by then. The game ended when Welker couldn't catch the pass from Brady with 3:20 left to go.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think it says good things about my chosen media outlets that, while I'm aware that there was a big football game, I still don't know what teams played or who won.

I take reasonable measures to avoid that icky programming, but eventually somebody at work or elsewhere will mention the scores. :(

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think it says good things about my chosen media outlets that, while I'm aware that there was a big football game, I still don't know what teams played or who won.
I watched the half-time show on YouTube after hearing comments about the slack line dude.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
By the end of the first quarter of the Bears vs Titans game, the Titans had allowed more points during the first quarters of their games (103) than the Bears had allowed in all of their games so far (102).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I paid for an NFL gamepass for the regular season, but the games aired locally are always delayed by 2-3 hours. Since all the playoffs games are being aired here too, it wasn't worth it to pay for the playoff games. I follow the scores on NFL.com, but I haven't seen the games.

Anyway, the Bears are not in so I'm less interested.

According to a messages from Jimmy Johnson (former Cowboys' head coach), our current local team's head coach should become the upcoming Bears coach. That should be interresting.

I hope the Ravens get the bowl this year. It would be nice for Ray Lewis.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't have an antenna to catch OTA channels. I haven't used my old TV for the past two years, if not more. I watch everything on my computer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was one of the few to predict a Seahawks win at the Super Bowl, but even I did not expect such a one-way game.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm the least football-oriented person I know. I don't even know how many points the various things earn. But I stopped by a friend's Super Bowl party just to say hi. It turns out her husband (who was sitting next to me) used to play in the NFL for Denver and New York. I got a bit of a lesson in the game.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I did not bet anything. I simply win bragging rights because I was right. An annoying (more like boring) guy at work has the Broncos as his favorite team. I also predict he'll be quiet tomorrow.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Not personally a sports fan, but I did watch the start. After the first play, where the hike went into the end-zone, I turned it off in disgust and left to go eat. Came back at 6:30 and after I saw the score I knew I was right to ignore the whole game.

LunarMist

I did not bet anything. I simply win bragging rights because I was right. An annoying (more like boring) guy at work has the Broncos as his favorite team. I also predict he'll be quiet tomorrow.

Is he from Detroit?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Broncos are from Denver, not Detroit. The guy in question isn't an American. He just likes the Broncos, probably because he started to follow football around the time John Elways helped the Broncos win the Super Bowl twice in the nineties. I probably like the Bears because I started to follow football around the time Walter Payton was the league's greatest running back and a few years later (almost a decade, in fact), their formidable defense helped them win the SB in 1985.

LunarMist

The Broncos are from Denver, not Detroit. The guy in question isn't an American. He just likes the Broncos, probably because he started to follow football around the time John Elways helped the Broncos win the Super Bowl twice in the nineties. I probably like the Bears because I started to follow football around the time Walter Payton was the league's greatest running back and a few years later (almost a decade, in fact), their formidable defense helped them win the SB in 1985.

Oh I remember Elway from Granada. Crazy Donna with the 455 T/A tried to get me to games sometimes. ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm personally quite happy that I listened to 35 minutes of NPR this morning and no one mentioned the big game. They played a 15 minute interview with Philip Seymour Hoffman but sports were not discussed. I'm glad there's a media option that understands that there are more interesting things to talk about.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm the least football-oriented person I know. I don't even know how many points the various things earn.
Same here. The only thing I know is a touchdown is 6 points. I watched most of the game just for the heck of it (and because it was in the NY Metro area).

I get into baseball a lot more but I'm still not what you would consider a hard-core baseball fan.

On the other hand, when the Tour de France is running, I'm glued to the TV for the entire 3+ weeks.